Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-17-2014, 06:36 AM

93 posts, read 192,257 times

Advertisements

I am not sure where to direct any of my questions because there isn't a forum for Lake County or the Leesburg area, unless I am missing it.

For the last few months we have been traveling all around Florida from our home in Sarasota County looking for a change and a more simple life. My hubby is a RN, I am an EMT (but I am not working right now with the kids....) and he has accepted a position at Florida Hospital Waterman. We have decided on where we will live, in Tavares...and I was wondering if anyone else if from there that can give me the skinny on happenings there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2014, 05:02 AM

Default any help?

no one?

Old 02-18-2014, 08:39 AM

3,262 posts, read 5,001,986 times
You might try the general Florida forum. I just did a search for the word Tavares in all the forums -- most of the responses were in the Orlando forum, but some were in the Florida forum. If I knew anything about Tavares I'd help you out, but I don't.

Old 02-19-2014, 10:39 AM

thank you so much!

Old 02-20-2014, 08:32 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,043,904 times
Tavares is OK, but wouldn't be my first choice. It's a bit redneck and IMHO lacks amenities. I worked there for a few years (not at the hospital) and there's just no good way to get there from anywhere.

Old 02-20-2014, 01:42 PM

5 posts, read 10,252 times
Hello, if you are looking for a quiet, simple life I guess Tavares could be it. I moved here from NJ 3 years ago and often regret it. I am early retired and thought the small and quiet would be good for an introvert like me but it is just too far from good restaurants and a good mall. Lake Square Mall in Leesburg is nothing to speak of, Target closed and JCP is closing in May. The mall has been sold but I've read the new owners don't have a great success rate. Mt. Dora is cute the first few months but after that not much to see and not enough business in the summer for the restaurants downtown to be good and consistent. If shopping and eating out aren't important to you, then Tavares is fine. If not, maybe somewhere more accessible to Sanford or Altamonte, there are nicer parts of Sorrento to consider.

I should add, by good restaurant I mean not a chain, if you are ok with chains there are plenty in the area (Olive Garden, Chili's, Red Lobster, etc.).

Last edited by Lora50; 02-20-2014 at 02:10 PM..

Old 02-20-2014, 07:21 PM

Thank you Lora. I appreciate the input! My husband is from a small rural town and he felt right at home when we were driving around the Tavares area. I have lived in the country and city (orig from Baltimore, Maryland.) and I could go either way. Having 2 children now, I would take rural over city any day and twice on Sunday! We do not eat out much, so dining options like that are not of high importance right now.

Old 02-20-2014, 07:29 PM

2,971 posts, read 3,420,150 times
I have friends in Umatilla and they love it

I love the rural landscape there, but worry that I wouldn't fit in because of my beliefs and lifestyle. Eustis has a bit more of a progressive vibe with a vegan/vegetarian center.

My friends are from Canada, and they consider Umatilla pretty close to being Mayberry. No regrets about raising their kids there.

I don't know much about Tavares, but I guess that area is pretty much the same.

Old 01-11-2016, 04:20 PM

3 posts, read 4,592 times
I loved in Tavares for a few years..I went there with all the expectations as many .."looking for a quiet,friendly, most importantly a welcoming community..Ha.!!!
What I found was very disappointing on every level.
I shopped in all the locally owned businesses..farmers markets .it does lack great restauranta. But there are a few good ones in tavares..and in the neighboring towns..
Other than the quiet..and accessibility to all of Florida's wonderfully park's lakes and beaches..theme parks. The people I met and lived near were just harsh..unfriendly..and extremely judgemental. I was single and 50..I kept to myself mostly. Made one or two friends. The rest were just disconnected...meaning: I owned a nice villa..lived there maybe 9 years. I frequented the same business for 9 years...And. NO ONE knew who I was..i was never addresed by my name first or last...even at the pharmacy..well
9 years..9 yesrs..lol lol.
I travelled a bit with work I have lived all over Fl. And where I didn't live I tried to visit. And NEVER have I felt so invisible...and nameless..I know there are some nice people there..however they are simply indifferent to others..everyone is just disconnected..
I have been away for a few years now..so I pray its changed for the better. I'd try Eustis, Mt. Dora.
Best of luck to you.
I lived in Summit Chase Villas..

Old 01-11-2016, 04:25 PM

3 posts, read 4,592 times
I loved in Tavares for a few years..I went there with all the expectations as many .."looking for a quiet,friendly, most importantly a welcoming community..Ha.!!!
What I found was very disappointing on every level.
I shopped in all the locally owned businesses..farmers markets .it does lack great restauranta. But there are a few good ones in tavares..and in the neighboring towns..
Other than the quiet..and accessibility to all of Florida's wonderfully park's lakes and beaches..theme parks. The people I met and lived near were just harsh..unfriendly..and extremely judgemental. I was single and 50..I kept to myself mostly. Made one or two friends. The rest were just disconnected...meaning: I owned a nice villa..lived there maybe 9 years. I frequented the same business for 9 years...And. NO ONE knew who I was..i was never addresed by my name first or last...even at the pharmacy..well
9 years..9 yesrs..lol lol.
I travelled a bit with work I have lived all over Fl. And where I didn't live I tried to visit. And NEVER have I felt so invisible...and nameless..I know there are some nice people there..however they are simply indifferent to others..everyone is just disconnected..
I have been away for a few years now..so I pray its changed for the better. I'd try Eustis, Mt. Dora.
Best of luck to you.
I lived in Summit Chase Villas..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando