Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2014, 05:46 AM

8 posts, read 9,387 times

Advertisements

Looks like my family may be moving to Orlando soon. My wife would be working at Sea World, so looking for neighborhoods within 15-20 mins of it. Have a 9 yr old and infant, so priorities are good schools and being close to a good soccer program would be nice. We have been looking online at Lake Nona, Winter Garden, and Windermere.

Will probably rent for first year, then buy, hopefully in same school area. Budget is about 1800 rent, 300ish when we purchase. Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2014, 05:54 AM

388 posts, read 790,629 times
Williamsburg and Dr. Phillips would be at the top of my list.

Old 02-22-2014, 06:27 AM

Williamsburg doesn't seem to have great schools, unless I am missing something or misread. Dr Phillips seems like it will be hard to stay in that budget.

Old 02-22-2014, 07:12 AM

4,584 posts, read 4,195,372 times
You can certainly get a townhome for $1800 in DP and maybe even a small house. Doctor Phillips Elementary is rated 150th out of 1974 according to School Digger and IIRC, they have a full-time gifted progam. As far as soccer goes, the local YMCA has a soccer program although there are only two 8-game sessions a year.

Old 02-22-2014, 07:28 AM

We would be looking at Orlando City or Florida Rush, or something similar for soccer. Something year round with paid coaches.

John Young Elementary is rated high, near Williamsburg. But it says 76% of students are eligible for free lunch. I'm trying to wrap my head around those two adding up.

Old 02-22-2014, 10:43 AM

27,196 posts, read 43,896,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahoyle77 View Post
John Young Elementary is rated high, near Williamsburg. But it says 76% of students are eligible for free lunch. I'm trying to wrap my head around those two adding up.
Geez, that's not too stereotypical of thought is it? For the record, the highest rated high school in the Orlando metro area is Seminole HS in Sanford, where 43% are eligible for free/reduced cost lunch. It's not about the economics, it's about the educators, the parents and the kids. When all three work together, great things can happen....and isn't reliant on high household income.

Old 02-22-2014, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
Geez, that's not too stereotypical of thought is it? For the record, the highest rated high school in the Orlando metro area is Seminole HS in Sanford, where 43% are eligible for free/reduced cost lunch. It's not about the economics, it's about the educators, the parents and the kids. When all three work together, great things can happen....and isn't reliant on high household income.
43% is a long ways from 70+. Typically higher rated schools are in higher income areas. Thats just a fact. There are always exceptions.

Old 02-22-2014, 02:47 PM

27,196 posts, read 43,896,295 times
Quote:
43% is a long ways from 70+. Typically higher rated schools are in higher income areas. Thats just a fact. There are always exceptions.
That's actually somewhat of an outdated stereotype, here in Florida anyway. Many of the formerly poor performing schools in lower income areas have been converted to district charter/magnet schools where the "best/brightest" in the district are integrated with regular kids zoned for that school. It's brought up school performance levels in most instances, and schools once one never thought of as "elite", suddenly are. If you read thought the US News Top 100 High Schools in Florida, easily 1/3 of them fit the "exception" role you allude to. Seminole HS in Sanford (#34 ) is just one example.

Search Florida High Schools | US News

Old 02-22-2014, 02:51 PM

1,512 posts, read 2,363,572 times
Quote:
We would be looking at Orlando City or Florida Rush, or something similar for soccer. Something year round with paid coaches.

Maybe because there's a significant amount of low-income Hispanic families in South OC.

Old 02-22-2014, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
That's actually somewhat of an outdated stereotype, here in Florida anyway. Many of the formerly poor performing schools in lower income areas have been converted to district charter/magnet schools where the "best/brightest" in the district are integrated with regular kids zoned for that school. It's brought up school performance levels in most instances, and schools once one never thought of as "elite", suddenly are. If you read thought the US News Top 100 High Schools in Florida, easily 1/3 of them fit the "exception" role you allude to. Seminole HS in Sanford (#34 ) is just one example.

Search Florida High Schools | US News

Got ya. We live in NC, and the schools here don't really work that way. Live in an affluent area, good school, live in a not so affluent area, you are taking chances. I've been surprised at the number of nice neighborhoods we find online in Orlando, that go to low rated schools.

Another quick question, here in Charlotte when you run into schools that are heavily hispanic, there have been some problems with Hispanic gangs. Is that a problem in Orlando? I know the two populations are probably completely different, but thought I would ask.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando