U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2014, 08:44 PM

4 posts, read 5,336 times

Advertisements

I am renting an apartment in Orlando apt complex. I have been paying my rent via their web site for the past year. I had a problem paying my rent in January because they changed their format of the web site and repeatedly called the rental office or wrote to them and asked for their help so I could make the payment. They did help me (it took 3 days because I was overseas) and I paid the rent and as a courtesy they waived the late fees of $10 each day for about 10 days
On February 3rd I paid my rent on the web site and received a confirmation email from the landlord. I did not hear from them again until the 18th of February when they called me and said they needed the rent paid! They told me that I must have done something wrong and now I had to pay the rent again plus the late fees $10 for each day.
I did not receive any notice from them until the 18th of February. They can not tell me why the rent is not paid, whether it is my fault or if it is insufficient funds. I asked them to waive the fee and they refused. They are threatening to take me to their attorneys and I said let it be.
My question is, how long does this eviction notice take, as of right now I am still not in Orlando and wont be there until the 27th. Will I be too late for the court. Is it possible for a court date to be set in 7 days.
I refuse to pay for late fees when I took my responsibility and paid my rent and received a paid receipt from them. I can go to court and show the judge that I have had the funds in my account all that time, and plus I have my receipt, they cant show anything as to why they did not collect this rent.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2014, 10:09 PM

12,135 posts, read 14,201,172 times
Avoid the hassle. Get the monthly statement from your bank. Get a print out of the month of Feb. See if it got withdrawn from your account the first time and find out when it was sent (and how it was sent) to the landlord.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashley Orlando View Post
I am renting an apartment in Orlando apt complex. I have been paying my rent via their web site for the past year. I had a problem paying my rent in January because they changed their format of the web site and repeatedly called the rental office or wrote to them and asked for their help so I could make the payment. They did help me (it took 3 days because I was overseas) and I paid the rent and as a courtesy they waived the late fees of $10 each day for about 10 days
On February 3rd I paid my rent on the web site and received a confirmation email from the landlord. I did not hear from them again until the 18th of February when they called me and said they needed the rent paid! They told me that I must have done something wrong and now I had to pay the rent again plus the late fees $10 for each day.
I did not receive any notice from them until the 18th of February. They can not tell me why the rent is not paid, whether it is my fault or if it is insufficient funds. I asked them to waive the fee and they refused. They are threatening to take me to their attorneys and I said let it be.
My question is, how long does this eviction notice take, as of right now I am still not in Orlando and wont be there until the 27th. Will I be too late for the court. Is it possible for a court date to be set in 7 days.
I refuse to pay for late fees when I took my responsibility and paid my rent and received a paid receipt from them. I can go to court and show the judge that I have had the funds in my account all that time, and plus I have my receipt, they cant show anything as to why they did not collect this rent.

Old 02-21-2014, 06:10 AM

I did check my bank account and the funds are still there, they never deducted it but I dont think I should have to pay $285 in late fees. After all I did pay the rent on the 3rd and received my confirmation email.
Our disagreement is not about paying the rent, its about the late fees.

Old 02-21-2014, 01:31 PM

26,590 posts, read 57,181,471 times
Quote:
I did check my bank account and the funds are still there, they never deducted it but I dont think I should have to pay $285 in late fees. After all I did pay the rent on the 3rd and received my confirmation email.
Why did it take more than a day or two to figure out there was too much money in your bank account?

Old 02-21-2014, 01:53 PM

116 posts, read 147,215 times
Quote:
Ashley, you can disagree with them until the cows come home and are ready to be milked, and I think late fees should be highly illegal and we need to start criminally prosecuting the treasonous thugs that charge them, but you're still going to need your trailer park supervisor the late fees to remain in good standing at the park and with the legal system. After you pay the park management the money that they're claiming you owe them, launch a vicious legal attack upon them, and then maybe at the end of the day you'll own that trailer park. Good luck!

Old 02-21-2014, 02:32 PM

Thank you yellow water.
It did not take me more than a few days to figure out there was too much money in my account. The rent that I paid is still sitting in my account. THey can retrieve the information from my website data and collect the money< The money is there. I am refusing to pay the late fees that I am not responsible for. I was responsible when I paid my rent on February 3rd. Its their irresponsibility not to notify me or do anything about this until the 18th. THey have my email, my telephone number. THey can send a certified notice, leave voice mail messages or what have you
I think I will move out of here as soon as I can.
I was basically wondering what the eviction process is and how long it takes before I receive a court notice since I am not in florida at the moment.

Old 02-21-2014, 02:58 PM

9,833 posts, read 21,922,808 times
Quote:
Thank you yellow water.
It did not take me more than a few days to figure out there was too much money in my account. The rent that I paid is still sitting in my account. THey can retrieve the information from my website data and collect the money< The money is there.

If the money is still in your bank account, you didn't pay your rent. The money actually had to be transferred to the landlord ( personal check, cashiers check, money order, money gram, on line bill pay from bank, on line bill pay from complex) You can have all the email documentation you want, the fact remains that you didn't pay your rent. You still owe the rent for this month.

I am refusing to pay the late fees that I am not responsible for. I was responsible when I paid my rent on February 3rd. Its their irresponsibility not to notify me or do anything about this until the 18th. THey have my email, my telephone number. THey can send a certified notice, leave voice mail messages or what have you

Why should your landlord have to come banging on your door begging you to pay your rent? They dont' have to...you know when your rent is due...you know what happens when you dont' pay your rent. Please stop saying you paid your rent on the third..you didn't pay your rent on the third, you thought you paid your rent on the third. Its your responsibility to make sure your payment gets into your landlords hand. You should always check to make sure online payments are actually withdrawn from your accout.

I was basically wondering what the eviction process is and how long it takes before I receive a court notice since I am not in florida at the moment.

In Florida they can get an eviction in roughly 30 days..especially for non payment of rent. I suggest you a) pay your rent and outstanding late fees today b) get your ass home and deal with your financial issues c) stop using a broken website and pay by personal check (they probably won't take yours) cashier check or money order. You do not want an eviction on your record..you will have a helluva time finding a decent place to live. No decent landlord take tenants with evictions.

Here's what they probably will do..they post (on your door) a 3 day pay or quit notice..that means pay what you owe in full by the date on the notice or they will begin eviction proceedings. Since you aren't in Florida and won't be here for another week there's a good chance you'll miss the notice on your door and the next notice you find will be an eviction notice taped to your door..and by then it's game over. You lose.

PS: in addition to the eviction on your record, there'll be a judgment in the amount owed plus additional fees (lawyer, court, filings..etc)

Last edited by Kim in FL; 02-21-2014 at 03:13 PM..

Old 02-21-2014, 03:00 PM

26,590 posts, read 57,181,471 times
Quote:
Thank you yellow water.
It did not take me more than a few days to figure out there was too much money in my account. The rent that I paid is still sitting in my account. THey can retrieve the information from my website data and collect the money< The money is there. I am refusing to pay the late fees that I am not responsible for. I was responsible when I paid my rent on February 3rd. Its their irresponsibility not to notify me or do anything about this until the 18th. THey have my email, my telephone number. THey can send a certified notice, leave voice mail messages or what have you
It is not their responsibility to contact you. It is your responsibility to pay your rent on time. Being out of the country is not an excuse. As soon as you saw the money was still in your account, you should have contacted your bank to cancel the previous transaction and reissued the payment--including applicable late fees.

FYI--If you have an eviction on your credit it will be almost impossible to rent anywhere decent for the next 3-10 years.

Old 02-21-2014, 03:20 PM

116 posts, read 147,215 times
Quote:
Thank you yellow water.
Ashley, again, if you got the cash in your pocket, you should just pay them what they want, and then go to town on them, in other words, make destroying this late fee charging organization your number one priority.

You should enlist the assistance of your friends and then wage a war against those dirty SOB's over the internet, if you do it correctly you can do quite a bit of damage to their reputation and business rather quickly. You might get the ball of damage rolling by starting a Facebook group telling your tale and providing the details of the people you're renting from, which will hopefully result in them getting hundreds of nonsense calls a day. If they are going to act like hardcore thugs with you about some stupid late fees, you need to be prepared to return their thugery with a more hardcore version.

Old 02-21-2014, 03:52 PM

here is what you dont understand, I did pay my rent and received a confirmation that it was paid. THey recently changed their website format and they are telling me that there is problem with it and I said thats fine, I will go ahead and make the payment again this time with a cashiers check, until this we are in agreement, but just because their website error I should not have to pay late fees.
Plus I am asking what the court process can be and how long it can take, I am on a business trip away from orlando and wont be back till next week. So stop those of you who are judging me of being irresponsible, I was responsible and paid the rent and received an email confirmation that it was paid on february 3rd. Plus I lived here for a whole year and always paid my rent ontime,
Yellow, I appreciate your sound advice, I am going to fedex the rent to them tomorrow and contact their regional manager and see if I can get anywhere with this misunderstanding if we dont get anywhere I am going to start a war over the internet with them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
View detailed profiles of: