Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2014, 10:32 PM

10 posts, read 13,471 times

Advertisements

Do I need to register my car in Orlando, FL if the car is in my fathers name here in Texas? We are moving to FL (my husband and I) at the en of the month for my school. I will only be in school for one year and will most likely move out of FL. So, if the car isn't in my name do I have to register it or can I say I'm a student and be fine for the year that I'm in Orlando?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2014, 12:09 AM

24,403 posts, read 26,946,756 times
That excuse should work, just say, you live in Texas and drive back during the holidays/summers and will continue living there after you graduate.

Old 03-14-2014, 12:43 PM

Will I need to obtain a fl drivers liscense to work or will my Texas one work? It will be part time work at a grocery store or some other college student type job

Old 03-14-2014, 01:07 PM

1,169 posts, read 1,431,627 times
It depends, it needs to be registered to where the vehicle owner lives, if your father lives in Texas and he owns the car then that is fine, but if he is lives in Florida then it needs to be changed.

As far as your drivers license, it also depends, technically (legally) you are supposed to update your address when you change your permanent home address, if it is in a new state then that means a new drivers license, most states will fairly easily "swap" your old drivers license with a new one for that state as long as you meet same requirements and of course pay the fees. Also, if you ever want to enjoy any kind of state benefits (public services) or Florida Resident discounts (such as theme park tickets) you will need a Florida ID to proove that you actually live in Florida.

Old 03-14-2014, 01:09 PM

24,403 posts, read 26,946,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizharding View Post
Will I need to obtain a fl drivers liscense to work or will my Texas one work? It will be part time work at a grocery store or some other college student type job
I'm 95% sure you do not. My friend back in college used to work part time at a 4 star resort and was paid with actual paychecks. He kept his NY car and license.

Old 03-14-2014, 01:13 PM

Ok, I am not looking for any of the benefits of being a fl resident because I only plan on going to school for the year and then I am done. My father does live in TX. I'll have an apartment in FL but my official residence is in tx (my permanent address). Also I'm paying out of state tuition. I just want to make sure I can get a part time job for rent while going to school. My school is Monday through Friday 5 hours every day so I'm basically just going to work and attend school then move back to tx

Old 03-14-2014, 01:14 PM

Ok cool, I don't think it will be an issue but I like double checking .

Old 03-14-2014, 08:25 PM

698 posts, read 959,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizharding View Post
Ok cool, I don't think it will be an issue but I like double checking .
From the FL DMV site
"Who Does Not Need a Florida Drivers License?

There are many situations when you can drive in Florida without a Florida drivers license as long as you have a valid license from another state or country. A few examples include US government employees driving government vehicles on official business, non-residents attending college in Florida, and members of Armed Forces stationed in Florida. Check chapter 1 of the drivers manual to see the full list of exemptions."

Florida Drivers Manual

This is interesting though, I would think if you are attending college and sign a lease or are employed in the state that you would be considered a resident

Safe to say that most college students are not getting a license for the state they attend college in

Old 03-14-2014, 08:38 PM

166 posts, read 240,990 times
When you make this state your home you will have limited time to register your vehicles. We moved her 1 year ago from
Virginia and I can tell you it is expensive.

Old 03-15-2014, 08:15 AM

Yeah it is super expensive, it's ridiculous. We only plan on being there a year but if we stay longer we will definitely switch everything over.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
View detailed profiles of: