Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-16-2014, 11:59 AM

28 posts, read 64,256 times

Advertisements

Well if you want to know the real Orlando, and it's history, like I do then look at the article I founded online,which documents research from Florida n historian Harvard graduate and professor arthour TD Allman and others. It tells Orlando from a real prospective, from its early days of a White washed town with strong southern American traditions to diverse mainly low income melting pot we see today. Describe s Orlando as a town divided by railroad tracks, and interstate 4 with the predominantly white and affluent east of I 4 while the predominantly black and poorer class on the west side of town. Orlando's mainly low paying service oriented economy runed by corporation such as disney, which creates its own city state and given open authority to have its own government police force and power plant, too name a few... Orlando's politics mainly corrupt and owned by corporations and increasingly high immigrate work force that gets barely 9.00 a hour. of course there is good in Orlando but I don't think many people know of the real Orlando other than what we see now. A great article about Orlando's history tourism and politics. What do think

http://nchchonors.org/wp-content/upl...ican-Dream.pdf

Last edited by sincla10; 03-16-2014 at 12:16 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2014, 02:45 PM

24,407 posts, read 26,951,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sincla10 View Post
Well if you want to know the real Orlando, and it's history, like I do then look at the article I founded online,which documents research from Florida n historian Harvard graduate and professor arthour TD Allman and others.
Um, I think we know the real Orlando by livingin Orlando and not reading an article written by someone who went to school thousands of miles from Orlando. That's just my two cents though

There was segregation in Orlando a long time ago! Are you serious!? That is so unusual because the rest of America never had any segregation!

Old 03-16-2014, 02:59 PM

35,699 posts, read 21,049,622 times
LOl that's nada- want to know the real story behind my hometown- Miami?? Yet if you really look back at most of the USA and its beginnings,, not all to be so proud over. the world is a mess because people are in it,,, and not all people are a mes but many with money and power, bring both good things as well as BAD,,,

Old 03-16-2014, 04:07 PM

28 posts, read 64,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post
Um, I think we know the real Orlando by livingin Orlando and not reading an article written by someone who went to school thousands of miles from Orlando. That's just my two cents though

There was segregation in Orlando a long time ago! Are you serious!? That is so unusual because the rest of America never had any segregation!
Definitely live in Orlando now and been here for over 8 year's this article describes the history and specific documented research. Every where has segregation this just summarize segregation in Orlando, need more open thinkers that what Orlando lacks people with creativity that not afraid to express their political or social views,

Old 03-16-2014, 04:38 PM

24,407 posts, read 26,951,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sincla10 View Post
Definitely live in Orlando now and been here for over 8 year's this article describes the history and specific documented research. Every where has segregation this just summarize segregation in Orlando, need more open thinkers that what Orlando lacks people with creativity that not afraid to express their political or social views,
I would say Orlando and the entire world, needs more people who focus on the progress we've made and the similarities we share rather than focus on the dark history of mankind, but that's just me.

Old 03-16-2014, 10:02 PM

3,951 posts, read 5,075,630 times
One interesting point to take from this, while as a city-dweller you don't see too often the effects of Disney in 75% of Orange County... I can't think of a company that ever in the history of the world has so radically shaped a metropolitan area.

Without WDW, Orlando would much more likely resemble Ocala, Tallahassee, or any of the other land-locked Floridan cities that resemble parts of Georgia.

I remember once seeing a video on a plane about the unsavory character of Orlando because of tourism that hurt churches- I wish I could remember what it was called... I laughed so hard- they were talking about vicious nightlife that reshaped the city from family friendly into rowdy partiers and then zoomed in on the sign for Cafe TuTu Tango. :P

Old 03-16-2014, 10:32 PM

457 posts, read 627,217 times
Dirt, mess and ugliness are a part of life and in the history of every city on the planet. Orlando is far from unique in that regard.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando