Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2007, 11:40 AM

1 posts, read 7,808 times

Advertisements

I saw a property of $189,000 on the internet in Florida. I called the broker and he sent me the contract.

In my contract, the broker request the buyer to pay 4% commission, title insurance, and closing cost. He also requested $10,000 earnest money for this $189,000 property. I sent in the $10,000.

My loan did not go through and I don't like the terms in the contract so I would like my earnest money back. He refused to give back my earnest money because he is also the owner of that property.

Can he do that? Can the broker not disclose that he is the owner of the building at the time of the contract and since he is the owner he has the right not to give back my money?

Please help
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2007, 07:36 PM

3 posts, read 11,315 times
Default Getting your earnest money back

You might want to try reading this. The information as to if you can get your money back or not applies no matter which state you live in.

Earnest Money (http://www.cabr.org/earnest.htm - broken link)

Last edited by zphtar; 06-25-2007 at 07:40 PM.. Reason: Clicked "submit" too soon.

Old 06-26-2007, 05:58 AM

8,289 posts, read 13,559,257 times
gallery2000 I am a realtor but you did not mention if he was a mortgage broker or a real estate broker. If he is a real estate broker he must disclose that he is the owner of the property. Also if you fail to qualify for a mortgage your escrow deposit should be returned. I don't know what type of contract you signed either. We use a standard contract that spells out all the terms that protects both the buyer & seller of a property. Escrow disputes must be reported to FREC (Florida Real Estate Commision) but again this depends if the broker is a Realtor. Hope that helps.

Old 06-26-2007, 06:32 AM

1,418 posts, read 10,188,410 times
Like the other poster mentioned, whether you are entitled to your money back or not will depend on the type of contract you signed, any changes you made to the contract, and your circumstances. There are about 4 standard types of contracts used for residential purchases in Florida.

But, you mentioned two somewhat conflicting things: 1) Your loan did not go through; 2) You didn't like the terms of the contract. Depending on your contract, there may be a provision to let you out if you could not get the loan that is referenced under the financing contingency. However, just because you didn't get the loan you wanted doesn't mean you couldn't get one that complied with what your contract states, so be careful with the way you read this.

Nothing will let you out of the contract simply because you don't like it's terms. I hate to say this, but after you sign the contract, whether you like its terms or not is too late. You better go take it to a lawyer before certain time deadlines might run. I wouldn't mess around with it yourself.

Old 02-28-2014, 07:18 PM

9 posts, read 18,283 times
Everyone should know about this great site for looking up lawyers or getting answers from lawyers for free (since not paid the lawyer will have disclaimers that they do not rep you) - used it to check on why lawyer for freind did not give her a receipt - i received multiple answers from concerned lawyers who stated clearly what to do and also to notify to get it looked into to see if needs suspensions etc

AVVO.com

Old 03-01-2014, 05:21 AM

8,276 posts, read 12,854,528 times
Escrow might not be returned if you exceeded the timelines spelled out in the contract. ex - in the standard RE contract you have 30 days to provide loan commitment failing to do so forfeits the escrow. It is required to disclose as a Realtor you own a property. that would be something you can file a complaint on. If the agent was holding the escrow in his escrow account you can also put it in dispute so he has 15 days to declare there is a dispute.

For my clients I have them deposit with the title company it keeps it with an unbiased (hopefully) source.

Old 03-01-2014, 11:52 AM

1,065 posts, read 4,145,135 times
If the owner is a licensed agent and didn't disclose this to you before the time of contract (should have in the advertising). Then I would first report him to the Department of business and professional regulation (DBPR: Home Page), then get yourself an attorney and get their legal opinion. What your rights are to the deposit are going to greatly depend what you had in that contract you signed (the fact you didn't like the terms of the contract should have been dealt with up front, once you signed it, you agreed to the terms and cancel because of that now!)

If your escrow is in fact being held by a licensed real estate brokerage (not by the seller himself) then the dispute must be reported to the FREC by the broker, and the FREC can either issue a ruling as to who gets the deposit...or can kick it back and say you have to litigate. A broker isn't wise to give the funds to a seller or a buyer unless both come to an agreement or they've been issued a disbursement order from the FREC or a court.

Unfortunately, without more details, it looks like you are in for quite a bit of hassle whether you get the $ back or not. Using a good buyers agent would have saved you a whole lot of aggravation as a lot of these issues are things a buyer agent learns to look for on day 1.....and a buyers agent works with no charge to you!!!!

Old 03-01-2014, 05:31 PM

698 posts, read 959,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gallery2000 View Post
I saw a property of $189,000 on the internet in Florida. I called the broker and he sent me the contract.
Your first statement is concerning or maybe I'm reading into it too much.
Did you actually see this property in person?

Old 03-01-2014, 11:47 PM

24,396 posts, read 26,932,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTGal View Post
Your first statement is concerning or maybe I'm reading into it too much.
Did you actually see this property in person?
This is actually quite normal these days. You find a property online, make an offer contingent upon inspection, if accepted you fly down to inspect the property. That's how I bought my current place.

Old 03-02-2014, 11:55 PM

120 posts, read 175,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post
This is actually quite normal these days. You find a property online, make an offer contingent upon inspection, if accepted you fly down to inspect the property. That's how I bought my current place.
As a former realtor, I highly advise against that... I would never have my clients make an offer on a house sight unseen...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando