Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-21-2014, 06:53 PM

25 posts, read 33,318 times

Advertisements

Hello there - looking for homes within about 1/2 hour driving distance to Orlando International Airport. No school age children, just looking for a nice 2,000ft on about 1/4 acre or less, safe reasonable area...

So here's my problem - I stumbled upon an interactive sinkhole map of Florida that has me kind of freaking out about the areas now. So... can anyone give me honest advice? Is this is real issue.... if so, are there areas where this does not seem to be prevalent?

We wanted to go inland to avoid flood insurance, and really don't want to struggle through sinkhole insurance and worrying if my dog is going to get sucked into a hole in the backyard.

Thanks in advance!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2014, 07:47 PM

2,124 posts, read 4,484,264 times
Personally I've never been worried about sinkholes. It's like worrying about a car accident or tornado destroying your house or something... It could happen, but it's unlikely.

Old 03-21-2014, 08:03 PM

2,955 posts, read 4,966,675 times
Let's see, you were freaked by the Tampa and Orlando maps. Why not shoot for Palm Beach. They have an airport and hardly a sinkhole to be found. Royal Palm to the airport is under 30 minutes.

Old 03-21-2014, 08:10 PM

25 posts, read 33,318 times
HarryWho? - I can only transfer to Orlando or Tampa .... this is a huge move for my family, as extended family will follow and live also. I guess 'freaked out' is the wrong phrase, but have no experience/knowledge about them -

brinkofsunshine - that's what I was hoping for - it all looks bad on paper, but is it a 'realistic concern'...

Thanks so far!!!

Old 03-22-2014, 10:22 AM

2,955 posts, read 4,966,675 times
I know someone who was in a similar situation but only had the option of Tampa. He settled in Largo and seems happy. He's very research oriented and I'm sure he took everything into account. Might be worth a look.

Old 03-23-2014, 01:37 AM

135 posts, read 438,151 times
I don't think alot of people worry about the sinkholes cus its very few that really happen! Like brinkofsunshine said, its kind of like we know we get hurricanes and tornadoes but no one goes around talking about it until it really happens. We have been here 4 years from Charlotte, NC but we are originally from NJ and both Charlotte and NJ has had much worse weather than we have had!! My mom was so worried about us moving here with the hurricanes and not that it can't happen but we are lucky if we get a full day of rain! It very seldom happens!! Believe me, if I really thought about the sinkhole issue, it could freak me out but what are the odds it will happen? Actually I have heard of more sinkholes closer to the Tampa area. There was one by Disney (not on Disney property like it was initially reported) but on the border of the property. Anyway, I hope we would have enough time to get away from it if it really happened. Its not like moving out to the midwest knowing that you will experience 1 or 2 tornadoes a year or so. Its just so seldom!! I can promise that you will have lots of sunshine though!! We have ALOT of days of sunshine!! That makes most people happy!! lol!

Old 03-23-2014, 04:39 PM

4,167 posts, read 9,295,449 times
It's a realistic but not a probable concern. Try looking at the lake nona or conway/belle isle area for shortest commute.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando