Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2014, 03:34 PM

253 posts, read 378,126 times

Advertisements

I just checked out the link for Eatonville and it was quite interesting. It is hard to believe that the place is considered to be urban and yet it only has about 2500 residents! It does appear to be a nice place to visit, so I will add it to my list of places to check out when we move.

Culturally, I'm not sure that it is my cup of tea, but I am intrigued. I suppose that we could always travel around to pick up some of the cultural diversity that we are used to.

Thank you for sharing the link!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2014, 05:55 PM

698 posts, read 960,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lizdjames View Post
Hi All!
We are a young African American family that will be moving from Atlanta to Orlando next month for a job opportunity and school! We are going to be renting first to get a feel for the area and then buy later on, prob in a year or 2. We are thinking about North Orlando (Altamonte Springs and surronding areas) and maybe the areas east of downtown. We have school aged kids and an infant so any help with Day Care Centers, Babysitters, or Nannies would be appreciated. Our budget for a 3 or 4 bedroom rental is $1200, do you think it's possible to find something in a good area with this budget? Also, what other areas are good for families with young children? Those who have moved to Orlando, how has it been for you? We are used to the heat, as we are originally from Louisiana! Thanks in advance!
Just a reminder of OP's original questions

Old 04-27-2014, 09:15 PM

251 posts, read 637,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spring Hillian View Post
You wouldnt recommend your brothers and sister to move to Eatonville?

Strange that so many upwardly mobile African-Americans have done quite well in the Great Orlando Metro area.
Not as many as ATL.

Quote:
Some people will never get it out of their heads that Martin was standing there being Mr. Citizen of the year when he got shot in the chest. The reality is he was on top of Zimmerman pounding on him. The outcome of the matter would have been the same if he were black, white or green. How many non-African-Americans who were not in the process of committing a crime have been shot, killed and robbed by African Americans in the Orlando area over the years?

Anybody who believes that probably also probably believes in the tooth fairly.

Old 04-27-2014, 09:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spring Hillian View Post
Town of Eatonville Florida

That link should tell you what you need to know and/or direct you to other links.

I often wonder why people are so concerned with FL gun laws and oblivious to the gun laws in other states. Other states have open carry, no need for a concealed weapons permit, long guns are not under any laws, they have stand your ground laws, castle doctrine laws and all the rest. Nobody says boo.
Somebody gets killed in FL for whatever reason and its a national uproar.

Keep in mind, gun laws only apply to law abiding citizens. Criminals are not affected nor do they worry about gun laws.

If you really believe that non-African American people are killing African American people for no reason at all, you dont live in the world of reality. But you have to understand why non-African Americans are weary about African Americans. In my neighborhood is a house occupied by a black family. The sheriff's office has 9 published incident reports at the address and numerous un published reports they have responded to there. It is the only house in the neighborhood where people park their cars on the lawn which is now just a large spot of dirt. The Sheriff was there a couple of years ago on a search warrant raid. 3 people in the house were arrested. One is still in prison. Drugs are still sold outside of the house frequently to this day. Cars pull up, are met by a resident outside and leave within a couple of minutes. A pair of sneakers were hung from an overhead utility line. I know that means drugs are sold nearby. Its a billboard to drug users. Dont you think the neighbors dont fret when they see any of the various occupants on foot in the neighborhood? The house was contained a dozen or more pit bull dogs which were their for the purpose of being raised and sold. Cars without license plates are always parked on the lawn, facing front, so code enforcement cant see that the cars have no license plates which is illegal here. The primary resident has been arrested and convicted of using a license plate on various vehicles and that practice still goes on today. We call it "license plate roulette". Our Sheriff department says their hands are tied as they cannot station a deputy outside the house to maintain legality.
How many times have you heard a story like that one? Other non white people in the neighborhood also find it to be unacceptable.

It seems that everyone in the African American community believes that Trayvon was murdered while doing nothing, standing there talking to Zimmerman. The autopsy report clearly indicates that the shot went through his shirt before hitting his skin which means that the shirt was away from his body as if a person was hovering over someone. I guess it is also believed that Zimmerman slammed the back of his own head against something to create the injuries he incurred.

I grew up in NYC myself. Flatbush Brooklyn. We had whites from all over the world in my neighborhood.
Blacks from the South, blacks from the Carribean, Puerto Ricans and other latinos. We were all friends.
We didnt see race or creed as a problematic factor. Our parents didnt see it either. We were all New Yorkers. We learned from each other though. The ethnic foods, holidays, traditions were all shared by everyone. That does not happen much anymore. Now days everyone wants to be with "their" people.
The homogeneous style of living has mostly disappeared and has pitted societies against each other by creating a world of mistrust and hate. Any homonogy has been snuffed out by haters and activists.

Ive never been to a Black barber shop or a white one. Hair care products used by black people are available in the same stores where I get my hair care products. My barber cuts the hair of women, men, children, Black, Asian, European. We have Black barbers and white ones who work in the same shops. I dont know about African-American fests, but we do have the Blueberry Festival, Homecoming, County fairs and all are attended by people of various races and religions. I know that Orlando, Eatonville actually, has the Zora Thurston festival each year. Been to it more than once. Been to several Black churches. Very spiritually enlightening.

What we need to do in this country is learn to be Americans. Not African-Americans, Italian-Americans, Irish-Americans, whatever. We need to all live decent lives and not segregate ourselves into small pockets of humanity at odds with each other. I felt that we were on that path years ago but it has changed to where some parts of society do not want to participate in a society as a whole but into separate units by their own choosing. Be an American, not a separate ennity no matter who you are and promote a "oneness" not a "separatist" way of life. We are all on the same planet, have the same wants, needs and desires. We are all related in the family called "mankind". Everybody needs to work on eliminating or causing that separation.

Check out Eatonville.
Martian as you can see this guy is typical closet White supremacist that believes all the stereotypical rhetoric about Black people. And he's a Zimmerman fan that would cheer on while your a child like your grandson was being gun down like a dog. Avoid this place.

Here are some reasons NOT to move here:

1- The Summers here are very humid and unbearable.

2- The job market is UGLY and discrimination is practice OPENLY on many of these jobs here.

3- Orlando is fairly devoid of any real culture.

4- The locals are rather dunce, superficial and phony.

5-The Ethnic groups here hate each other. Puerto Ricans and Hispanics hate Blacks. The Haitians and West Indians are suspicious of American Blacks. Florida is just full of petty confusion and stupidity.

Last edited by phillystress215; 04-27-2014 at 10:28 PM..

Old 04-28-2014, 06:32 AM

12,135 posts, read 16,128,302 times
Someone one is a racist.

Old 04-28-2014, 07:13 AM

253 posts, read 378,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phillystress215 View Post

Here are some reasons NOT to move here:

1- The Summers here are very humid and unbearable.

2- The job market is UGLY and discrimination is practice OPENLY on many of these jobs here.

3- Orlando is fairly devoid of any real culture.

4- The locals are rather dunce, superficial and phony.

5-The Ethnic groups here hate each other. Puerto Ricans and Hispanics hate Blacks. The Haitians and West Indians are suspicious of American Blacks. Florida is just full of petty confusion and stupidity.
Phillystress-

I'm one of those crazy people who loves the heat and humidity. Florida is one of the few places where I never have to use lotion to combat dry skin! I am a freelance writer and novelist, so I'm not dependent upon the local job market. We also have rental units in NY to fund our lifestyle. Since we won't be working for someone else, we should have all of the time in the world to seek out culture in other places. While we are always willing to mix with others, we mostly like to explore places on our own. We both would likely take a class or two and spend the majority of our time together hiking, biking and doing other activities. You can find dense, superficial and phony people anywhere, but it is easy to remove them from your life when you aren't beholden to them in any way.

My family is Bahamian. My grandparents came over in the 1920's, so I've got that culture locked down. I've always been able to fit in with different groups of people and if I can't do that in Florida- Well, I doubt that it would kill me. I do have a few friends and former co-workers who have moved to Florida over the years and I suppose that we'd probably get together from time to time. I have always been involved in the philanthropic world and would probably get involved in some sort of cause or nonprofit. Someone who can write grants is always in demand!

Florida isn't perfect... Neither is NY, Atlanta or Philadelphia. I'd like to think that a positive attitude can allow people to find the good in any locale. I've had negative experiences in all of the places that I've just mentioned, but the good tends to outweigh the bad. To a person like me, the glass is half-full. To others, the glass is half-empty and it's probably dirty, too!

Old 04-28-2014, 11:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMartianChick View Post
Phillystress-

I'm one of those crazy people who loves the heat and humidity. Florida is one of the few places where I never have to use lotion to combat dry skin! I am a freelance writer and novelist, so I'm not dependent upon the local job market. We also have rental units in NY to fund our lifestyle. Since we won't be working for someone else, we should have all of the time in the world to seek out culture in other places. While we are always willing to mix with others, we mostly like to explore places on our own. We both would likely take a class or two and spend the majority of our time together hiking, biking and doing other activities. You can find dense, superficial and phony people anywhere, but it is easy to remove them from your life when you aren't beholden to them in any way.

My family is Bahamian. My grandparents came over in the 1920's, so I've got that culture locked down. I've always been able to fit in with different groups of people and if I can't do that in Florida- Well, I doubt that it would kill me. I do have a few friends and former co-workers who have moved to Florida over the years and I suppose that we'd probably get together from time to time. I have always been involved in the philanthropic world and would probably get involved in some sort of cause or nonprofit. Someone who can write grants is always in demand!

Florida isn't perfect... Neither is NY, Atlanta or Philadelphia. I'd like to think that a positive attitude can allow people to find the good in any locale. I've had negative experiences in all of the places that I've just mentioned, but the good tends to outweigh the bad. To a person like me, the glass is half-full. To others, the glass is half-empty and it's probably dirty, too!

I think you're going to come here no matter what I say. You'll probably love here. Have fun

Old 05-06-2014, 10:22 PM

20 posts, read 32,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phillystress215 View Post
How about this: If your Black and especially if you are from the Northeast PM BEFORE you consider moving to Orlando

Yes, if you're from the Northeast, stay there, I don't need any more NY/NJ license plates tailgating me all over town..

Old 05-07-2014, 12:42 AM

38 posts, read 52,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMartianChick View Post
We had to think about how our visiting children and grandkids would be received. My (step) grandson will be 16 next year. He is an honor roll student and an athlete, but some people only see the color of his skin and may "feel threatened" by his presence. Do I think that he could find himself caught up in a situation where someone decides that he is a threat and opts to use a gun? Yes, I do! I think that it could happen in any of the states that have Stand Your Ground laws and expanded Castle Doctrine laws on the books. The Trayvon Martin case is only one of many Florida cases to illustrate that point.
The Trayvon Martin case does not illustrate this point. Stand your ground was not used in this case. The outcome of the trial had nothing to do with stand your ground or anything specific to Florida gun laws.

Old 05-07-2014, 07:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mizzoujohn View Post
Yes, if you're from the Northeast, stay there, I don't need any more NY/NJ license plates tailgating me all over town..

You ain't lying. Florida Sucks...

And I ain't from Jersey...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando