Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-14-2014, 10:40 AM

3 posts, read 5,382 times

Advertisements

My wife and I will be moving to Florida in August. As of now we are choosing between these three areas, but leaning toward Winter Garden. We would like to stay under 400k, but could probably go up to 450k. We are planning on starting a family soon so education is going to be a priority. Are there elementary schools that we should try avoid? Are there particularly good neighborhoods that we should l look into in this price range?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2014, 04:48 PM

3,767 posts, read 4,529,611 times
Winter Garden is a completely different animal than Dr. Phillips or Windermere. If you are looking for upscale I would stick with Dr. Phillips area or Windermere.

Don't get me wrong, I think Winter Garden has a cute downtown and I really like the way they have launched a comeback and revitalized the town.
But if you are upper middle class I think you would probably be happier and feel more at home in the other two areas.

Old 04-17-2014, 02:47 AM

19 posts, read 24,062 times
You might want to add Lake Mary to your list.

Old 04-17-2014, 05:02 PM

12,017 posts, read 14,322,039 times
Winter Park as well.... some would argue they have the best schools in Orange County.

Old 04-17-2014, 05:16 PM

1,065 posts, read 4,146,388 times
All the areas mentioned have A rated elementary schools, but research actual parent reviews at GreatSchools - Public and Private School Ratings, Reviews and Parent Community. From feedback I've received, if you want the best schools you will likely stick to the actual town of windermere (not just the address) and the Dr. Phillips area. You will have plenty of choices in both of those areas for a good sized home, just not a mansion like one.

As far as neighborhoods, you will have a few too choose from, but to narrow it down beyond what school serves it, you'd have to let us know what size, style, age, gated or not, pool, etc... you prefer.

Old 04-21-2014, 02:04 AM

9 posts, read 14,219 times
The Winter Garden/Horzion West/Windermere area is perfect for a starter family especially with your price range. Considering all the new construction going on you can build your dream house! It has great schools. Sunset Park Elementary was built 3 or 4 years ago I believe so it's still relatively new and they're planning on building a new HS as well. If you prefer private schools Windermere elementary is .5 mile down the street from Sunset. It's 15 minutes from Downtown Disney. Two Publix shopping centers are nearby along with the Winter Garden Village. It's about a 25 minute drive to Restaurant Row in Dr. Phillips and 30 minutes to Millenia Mall, FL mall and Premium Outlets on I-drive, 20 minutes to the Premium Outlets on Vineland. Tibet Butler Preserve and local parks/playgrounds are also nearby.

Distinction between Winter Garden/Horizon West/Windermere is confusing sometimes. Winter Garden/Horizon West is at the cusp of Windermere. My postal address says Windermere but my caller ID says Winter Garden.

To explain it clearer, there's old Windermere with the dirt roads and cute little charming houses on Main St and then there's Rich Windermere along Chase Rd with the prestigious communities like Isleworth, Reserve at Lake Butler Sound, and Keene's Pointe. Isleworth is where Tiger Woods lived and a bevy of celebrities and corporate execs live with their $6k annual HOA fees. You will see a lot of expensive, high end cars, cruising along the streets and parked at Publix.

And then there are the new suburban developments like Summerport, in Windermere, which hugs the boarder of Windermere and Winter Garden. Independence, also a newer development, is considered Winter Garden despite it being on the same side of the street as Summerport. It's gets really blurry in this area because Horizon West is around the corner from Independence.

Irregardless, the area is expanding quickly and a lot of people from up north are migrating this area. There are plenty of young families and it's has a good school district. =)

Last edited by GatorlGrl; 04-21-2014 at 02:30 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando