Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-23-2014, 08:26 PM

1 posts, read 1,276 times

Advertisements

My husband and I have been in Seattle, WA most of our lives and are looking to move somewhere warmer, cheaper, on the water where we can fish, enjoy a nice community, with decent housing market. I am hoping this forum can help us with our search of where to live in Florida.we already love the key west are but it's too expensive for us. We like what we see online for homes in Cape Coral.

We both are fortunate that we can relocate with our current jobs. He works as a mechanic for large truck leasing company for the last 21 years...and I work for large software company in a sales role where I travel about 50% (so need to be close to a major airport) and work from home the remainder if the time. We are in our mid-40's and need to work for at least 10-15 more years. We love a nice neighborhood with good restaurants, bars, night life close by. My husband loves to fish and wants a water access home with boat-lift that he can enjoy at any time. His dream!

I love to garden, and love to go shopping for antiques. We may sound a bit fuddy-duddy but we are far from that. Both have very social outgoing personalities, have traveled around the world, love all kinds of cuisine and really enjoy a modern/contemporary life style. I grew up in Berkeley, ca and lived in San Francisco in my 20's. We do really like neighborly communities where you invite your neighbors over for a BBQ and a beer and get together with friends often over a great meal and wine.

Please let us know your thoughts on the Cape Coral area and any other communities you might consider.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2014, 05:28 AM

27,215 posts, read 43,910,956 times
Given your desire for proximity to a major airport, near the ocean, modern lifestyle and good restaurants/bars nearby St Petersburg would be a much better fit in my opinion.

Old 04-24-2014, 05:53 PM

1 posts, read 1,334 times
St Pete is awesome, Cape Coral is terrible. Tons to do in downtown St Pete and it's close to great beaches and Tampa.

Old 04-24-2014, 08:54 PM

220 posts, read 418,003 times
My wife is from Seattle and I am from Florida. Ideal situation is to make enough money so you can get two places and live in Florida from around mid-October to about mid-May then fly to the Pacific Northwest and live the other 5 months.

Now as to where to live = Tampa area would seem to have a lot more to do and if you choose a house in lets say St Pete just be close enough to hope on the bridge to get you right over to the Tampa Airport and you are ready to fly anywhere for your job. If St Pete seems out of your budget or you are looking for newer home communities maybe try to look up Brandon or Bradenton which are both around the Tampa area.

We live in Orlando and in particular Windermere but that would not seem to work for you guys since you seem to want to be closer to the ocean. Good luck with your move!

Old 04-24-2014, 09:18 PM

1,512 posts, read 2,364,503 times
I would also look around Tampa Bay or maybe the Sarasota area. Cape Coral is more dedicated to retirees.

Old 04-26-2014, 04:19 PM

698 posts, read 960,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric1026 View Post
My wife is from Seattle and I am from Florida. Ideal situation is to make enough money so you can get two places and live in Florida from around mid-October to about mid-May then fly to the Pacific Northwest and live the other 5 months.
I agree! It's not even May and it's already pretty steamy here!

Old 05-02-2014, 08:16 PM

25 posts, read 45,585 times
Cape Coral is not a 'retiree' city, in my opinion. There is quiet a bit to do here, and am not sure if you are into bigger cities with higher crime rates, or smaller metro areas (170,000 CapeCoral, 675,000 metro area) with low crime rates. Cape Coral has the most canals IN THE WORLD, and is close to gorgeous beaches such as Sanibel, Fort Myers Beach, Venice Beach, etc. the schools here are awesome with almost all having an A rating. And houses are at awesome prices with you being able to build a house for under $200,000! I've lived here for 10 years and the Cape Coral- Fort Myers area is best for families that don't like the extremely busy, traffic crazy, crime filled cities. Yet there is quiet a bit to do here.
Hope this helps

Old 05-04-2014, 08:46 AM

22,584 posts, read 54,280,916 times
All of the suggestions are great, except for Cape Coral. It is mostly snowbirds and retirees. Close to Venice Beach? If you think an hour and 20 minutes is close....Fort Myers Beach will be anywhere from 30 to 40 minutes away, beaches in Sanibel are about 45 minutes to an hour away.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando