Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2007, 05:36 PM

18 posts, read 59,733 times

Advertisements

Hi,
I am looking at a position in the Celebration / Kissimmee area. What is the best area to live in with great schools, but not too snooty where we can get a decent house for around 700k. We have 4 kids and a decent income so we need the room, but don't want to be in a really uptight or conservative neighborhood. Good luck, eh?

Also, are there some good community theatre groups in the Orlando area?
Thanks for any information.
Jeff
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2007, 06:51 PM

8,377 posts, read 30,892,322 times
Oviedo, thats all there is to it. It takes 45 minutes, but you will NOT hit any traffic on the 417.

Old 12-09-2007, 07:27 PM

940 posts, read 1,367,495 times
I second Oviedo!! Great town!! Welcome to the City of Oviedo | City of Oviedo, Florida

Old 12-09-2007, 07:57 PM

1,065 posts, read 4,145,135 times
Thirded on Oveido area. You can get a very large gorgeous home that seems to fit all your criteria there for well under 700K. I've said it before on the forums, but the Tuskawilla area is one of my favorite area's that I think you would like quite a bit. There are also other great neighborhoods around there you should check out.

You are still quite a distance from Kissimmee though. Some closer area's with great schools would be Dr. Phillips, Belle Isle, Windermere, and Lake Nona. To some extent also Hunters Creek. Winter Park of course is known for their great schools, but some consider the area snobby, and your commute on I-4 would be pretty tough.

Have you considered also living in Celebration?

Where will you be moving from?

p.s. you can check out School ratings info here School Accountability Report , When your searching for homes you can also figure out exactly what school serves the address in Orange county here https://www.ocps.net/Parents/Pages/FindaSchool.aspx
And a map of school zones for Seminole County here Seminole County Public Schools

Old 12-10-2007, 03:36 AM

135 posts, read 711,317 times
i think you can get a somewhat decent home for 700k

Old 12-10-2007, 07:13 PM

18 posts, read 59,733 times
Thanks everyone for the comments. We are moving from Chicago if things work out. Good time of year to be looking around in the Orlando area.

I don't think I want to commute 45 minutes to work everyday, but if they let me work from home a couple of days, it may work out.

I guess we can find the house we want, but getting that balance is important.

Thanks again for the suggestions.

Old 12-10-2007, 07:51 PM

1,065 posts, read 4,145,135 times
If you are worried about finding a large enough house, you will have no problem finding a large, well upgraded home almost anywhere in the orlando area for under 700K. The criteria of A+ schools, not to snooty and close to celebration/kissimmee narrow things down a little though.

Try to get down here before you start looking for your home and have your realtor drive you around the various area's mentioned. If Oveido area is too far for your commute, I think either in Celebration itself, or Dr. Phillips will be your best bet.

Old 12-10-2007, 07:57 PM

8,377 posts, read 30,892,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregTraub View Post
Dr. Phillips will be your best bet.
Yuck, I-4. Nice area though.

Old 12-11-2007, 08:28 AM

8,276 posts, read 12,854,528 times
Default where to live

Forced.
I'm not a fan of the Oviedo solution as it is a long way from celebration. There are many great areas especially for that price range. They include Windermere - with a qualification about schools, if private all of it, if not only selected potions, Dr. Phillips, Hunters Creek, Vizcaya, Bay Hill, even Celebration. If you like the rural areas some parts of Davenport - you can sure get bang for your buck there but it's not my first choice.
There are many places on the North and East side but the commute would add unneeded stress, can you find great homes in Oviedo, Avalon Park, Waterford and Winter Park... of course is it worth the stress... doubt it.

There are some great homes to see out there and at the lowest prices we've seen in a while. My vote explore whats near first then if nothing floats the boat expand outward. Good Luck and welcome to Florida
Ken

Old 12-12-2007, 05:43 PM

39 posts, read 116,044 times
i commute from oviedo to near kissimmee every day. it makes me want to jump off a bridge. it takes me over an hour in rush hour, even on the freeways. i like oviedo, i really do, but oh my god the commute.

we have friends in hunters creek, its really a lovely place and i enjoy my visits there, nice and quiet and cute, but it really takes the right personality to live there (strict aggressive HOA). you will find lots of great houses around 700k. dr phillips sounds right up your alley

do what we did and come down for a week and visit and see houses/areas everywhere. do the commutes you expect to do. youll spend a lot of time on the road and see a lot of houses and you'll know exactly what u want before u come here.

i like it in orlando and you probably will too but AAAAHHH AN HOUR IS TOO LOOOOOOONG
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando