Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2014, 07:37 PM

8 posts, read 28,242 times

Advertisements

Hello ladies and gents,

I am a female in my early 30's currently living in NJ who is considering relocating to Oviedo next summer. I am married with 2 children (5 and 6) and i am a RN (management role). I have read some positive things about Oviedo. We will be renting at first so that we can be sure this is where we would like to stay permanently. We have never made such a big move and although it wont be until next summer i want to make sure i do my research. How is the area? the people? Anyone know of any home care positions? How is it for nurses there? Any advice would be greatly appreciated and thanks in advance. Have a great night.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2014, 05:06 AM

27,212 posts, read 43,910,956 times
What exactly is drawing you to Oviedo out of all of the places in Florida? It's suburban with a rural feel in some areas and has very good schools. There are several other places in the state that will offer the same environment with equal (or better) job prospects.

Old 05-07-2014, 10:40 AM

Oviedo came up during my "best places to live in florida" search. I'm looking for a nice safe neighborhood to raise a family. One with good schools and where the jobs are. What other areas would you suggest? Thanks.

Old 05-07-2014, 10:51 AM

4,167 posts, read 9,338,239 times
Oviedo is a nice family oriented area, it's suburban to the west side and trends towards rural the further west you go. It's kind of tricky because it's a little rural oasis surrounded by Tuscawilla to the west, UCF to the south and more developed parts of Seminole county to the north, so essentially you can drive 5 mins in 3 directions and you enter some pretty developed areas. People tend to be more long time Central Floridians, less transient, mix of professionals, some students, and working class. Schools are all considered pretty good. Other similar areas to consider are Lake Mary, Altamonte/Wekiva, Winter Park, Maitland, Conway/Belle Isle, Dr. Phillips/Windermere, Lake Nona.

Old 05-07-2014, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adored1ne View Post
Oviedo came up during my "best places to live in florida" search. I'm looking for a nice safe neighborhood to raise a family. One with good schools and where the jobs are. What other areas would you suggest? Thanks.
Others to consider are:

Ponte Vedra Beach or Julington Creek (Jacksonville's medical sector is booming, top school district in the state)

Safety Harbor, Oldsmar/East Lake and Palm Harbor (beautiful beaches, excellent schools, easy access to Tampa/St Pete/Clearwater jobs)

Sarasota/Lakewood Ranch (excellent schools, beautiful area)

Stuart/Palm City/Jensen Beach (excellent schools, beautiful and relaxed area)

Lake Mary (close to Orlando, excellent schools like Oviedo, also considered very desirable for families)

Viera and Suntree (Melbourne area one hour east of Orlando on coast, excellent schools and family friendlier overall)

Old 05-07-2014, 11:07 AM

Thanks for the response CR. I did check out lake Mary. We were just there last month on vacation. I will look into the other areas as well. We have never made such a big move and im getting a little anxious. Even though the move is not until next summer.

Old 05-07-2014, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adored1ne View Post
Thanks for the response CR. I did check out lake Mary. We were just there last month on vacation. I will look into the other areas as well. We have never made such a big move and im getting a little anxious. Even though the move is not until next summer.
The Orlando area has grown considerably through people who visit on vacation without seeing anywhere else in Florida. I would advise investigating other options to avoid the remorse so many encounter without due diligence of looking elsewhere. It's a big state...

Old 05-07-2014, 03:34 PM

Will definitely check out some other areas.

Old 05-08-2014, 06:35 AM

5 posts, read 9,935 times
Seems like we have the same considerations in mind! I too am looking to relocate here, based on my recent post. I am not sure on the traffic and rn homecare jobs near oveido or lake Mary with out driving into Orlando with all the traffic at commuting times.. My first priority is schools. I understand your concerns on it being a big move.. We have our selves well established here in Ct with jobs, just so expensive and weather has gotten so worse.. Heating bills and taxes are outrageous.. I just want to make the right decision as we would not be able to afford to come back once we leave.. Also hoping there are move educational opportunities for my children for college in Fl. Keep in touch and let me know how your search goes.

Old 05-09-2014, 08:27 AM

5,544 posts, read 8,315,336 times
family activities, athletics, and schools are good here in Oviedo. Our local hometown boy just was selected #3 in the NFL draft.

In my son's little league days several of his coaches were minor or major league retired players and were good with the boys in learning the skills and just loving the game as fun, as I recall. The city aquatic and recreation centers are nice and the county parks are where we spent a lot of time with picnics and running out the energy as my kids grew up.

Oviedo has a new Emergency Room (believe you are a nurse) and a new hospital will be built. Established churches and start up churches galore. Shopping at Waterford Lakes is preferred by many but Oviedo is building up. The Oviedo Mall still isn't a strong one but I like the convenience and get in and get out capability. I prefer using the Walmart on Aloma. Publix and strip shops are at both ends of my road. The area out 419 is also growing.

It is truly building for the future. The new city area by Division St/Mitchell Hammock Blvd is going up fast. The downtown will become a straight road instead of the mish mash it is now. Will hate to see the little oldtime florida town be replaced but it is what it is.

For myself as a single female retiree, I like all the conveniences but that the flavor of the former rural areas remain. Lots of greenspace. I feel safe and the neighborhood is a mixed lot of older retirees, young families, empty nesters, and double incomes no kids. I think I am the only single and it is getting harder for me to take care of my house especially the yard. For the first time I must hire yardmen. So my next step may be a condo, and there are those too.

I live 2 miles from UCF, 2 miles from Seminole State College, and within sight of the high school and elementary school. Lots of my neighbors bought here in the new development with kids who grew up attending all. More of the kids now are going to Florida State University to get as far away form Mom and Dad as they can yet stay in FL. Then many do go to UCF, #2 biggest university in the country. UCF has medical school and other medical areas in Lake Nona draw a lot to the campus.

There is a lot to like about Oviedo. I am content and raised my family here for the most part. My kids are out on their own now in PA and NC and have fond memories of the places and events here. The grandchildren love Grandma's pool. That is a negative to consider for the future: what are the job opportunities for your grown children - what industries support their futures. My kids wanted to stay here but opportunity was elsewhere. So it can work, or it can not work. Just a thought.

Winter Park isn't too far away and has the Bach Festival. Some good snowbird and retiree musicians in that area. If you are into biking, canoeing, and running there are clubs and groups that do that everywhere.

Will say that I like Maitland area a lot and wouldn't mind living there a bit as a single retiree. If I were a young single I wouldn't mind living downtown in one of the nice areas. And the Sanford area toward Lake Mary or vice versa would also be a nice place to land with a family.

The complaint I have with FL in general is that to me it was a hard place to raise my children according to my traditional southern values. And think of this seriously, people come to Florida to have a good time and that does not always turn out so well or easily for vulnerable children. JMO, but parenting children is hard enough, it just may have been harder here for me than I would have liked in this fun and permissive atmosphere.

Just the balance of my opinion. Good luck

Last edited by theoldnorthstate; 05-09-2014 at 09:07 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando