Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2014, 08:44 AM

66 posts, read 114,397 times

Advertisements

Here is the news article from April 26, 2014... http://www.takepart.com/article/2014/04/25/homeless-happiest-place-earth-disney-world-employees-forced-shack-motels?cmpid=tp-ad-outbrain-general

I worked for Disney in 2007 as a Janitor earning $7.00 per hour. By that time, Florida didn't have yet a state minimum wage law. I was told that $7 per hour was a privilege given the fact that wages in Central FL were lower for the same position.

Employees are treated as characters rather than human beings. This is what was taught in the orientation class. My supervisors were mostly whites who treated minorities, particularly Haitians, as if we still would be in the slavery era. The work culture is really bad and turn over is high. I left after a short time.

I stopped buying anything related to Disney as well visiting the parks. People in Central Florida should repudiate Disney.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2014, 09:25 AM

12,017 posts, read 14,322,039 times
Why don't you add every other corporation to the list while you are it.... McDonald's, Wal-mart, KFC/Taco Bell, Target, Amazon etc.

Btw, Disney is proposing raising its own minimum wage to $10/hr in-step with many states by 2015. No other corporation is doing that AFAIK

Disney World Proposes Raising Starting Wages To $10/Hour

Old 05-30-2014, 09:47 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,038,899 times
No one makes anyone work anywhere in this country. If you don't like it, work elsewhere. No skills to work elsewhere? Whose fault is that?

I worked for Disney for five years. Some managers were better than others, but overall I enjoyed my time with them, learned a lot, and make lifelong friends.

Old 05-30-2014, 09:49 AM

4,167 posts, read 9,338,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
No one makes anyone work anywhere in this country. If you don't like it, work elsewhere. No skills to work elsewhere? Whose fault is that?

I worked for Disney for five years. Some managers were better than others, but overall I enjoyed my time with them, learned a lot, and make lifelong friends.
Yup!

Old 05-30-2014, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crane's Rooster View Post
Yup!
I'm sure you're white or any other kind of mediocre employee with no goals settling for a low wage. Is $9 and $10 per hour a decent wage?

Old 05-30-2014, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
I'm sure you're white or any other kind of mediocre employee with no goals settling for a low wage. Is $9 and $10 per hour a decent wage?

Old 05-30-2014, 10:21 AM

12,017 posts, read 14,322,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pipo11 View Post
I'm pretty sure you're projecting your situation on to others

Old 05-30-2014, 10:26 AM

12,135 posts, read 16,126,258 times
Quote:
What does race have to with it?? Are you playing the race card?

If you didnt like the company why did you stay there? Janitor, eh? I guess that explains that.
No skills, no education, little if any work experience.\

Old 05-30-2014, 10:53 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,038,899 times
Quote:
It's enough if you have no marketable skills to offer. The fact that you can fog a mirror does not make you worth more than minimum wage. If you've got skills that are more competitive and can contribute measurably to the bottom line, you'll make more. Otherwise if you don't like the job, leave--there's someone right behind you who is equally unqualified to do anything but clean or push a button to operate a ride who would love to have you job.

Disney promotes from within for employees who are willing to take initiative, show leadership skills, participate in any and every possibly training/cross training opportunity, and generally be a model employee. They are big on diversity and minorities have a leg up in many cases.

By the way, far from a mediocre employee. I bring in millions of dollars a year for my employer, and am recognized for my contributions in my paycheck.

Old 05-30-2014, 11:30 AM

4,167 posts, read 9,338,239 times
Quote:
I'm far from white and the last time I had goals of getting a raise to $9, I was a selling popcorn and soda at Universal Studios as a college student. My mother raised me and put me through college and grad school on a waitress' salary, proving that if you work hard enough with the right attitude you can always find a way to make it. Today I am young professional making a good living but not above doing low wage hourly work if I had to. But the reality is my future generations and I likely never will have to again, unless of course to learn the value of hard work and dollar. I came from humble beginnings, probably as meager as yours, but I took the right perspective, worked hard and studied hard. Now I play hard at the places I once worked.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando