Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2014, 01:59 PM

142 posts, read 272,527 times

Advertisements

Something Positive for a change.

Orlando passes St.Pete: City Beautiful is now Florida's fourth largest city - Orlando Sentinel
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2014, 02:42 PM

4,167 posts, read 9,342,054 times
This is good to see, particularly since it reflects the urbanization of Orlando. The only real areas within the city limits that aren't already developed are Lake Nona. Most of the rest of the city is within a few miles of downtown. I'm encouraged by all the mixed used development and modern urban communities going up. It's not enough just to grow, we need to grow responsibly.

Old 06-04-2014, 06:50 PM

3,595 posts, read 6,949,187 times
This actually means we're the 3rd largest city in the state (behind Miami, then Tampa) since we all know that the Jacksonville number is a farce.

Heck if manhattanizing-Miami will never catch Jacksonville in city population, then it's pretty obvious something is wrong with the picture.

Old 06-05-2014, 05:31 AM

27,218 posts, read 43,942,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crane's Rooster View Post
This is good to see, particularly since it reflects the urbanization of Orlando. The only real areas within the city limits that aren't already developed are Lake Nona. Most of the rest of the city is within a few miles of downtown. I'm encouraged by all the mixed used development and modern urban communities going up. It's not enough just to grow, we need to grow responsibly.
That would actually be further suburbanization as most would attribute the growth that has occurred primarily through sprawl and annexation. Orlando's original footprint wasn't much different from St Petersburg's and unlike it Orlando has plenty of undeveloped land surrounding in Orange County to fill with strip malls, fast food chains/gas stations and residential. That's not the kind of growth to be cheering about.

Old 06-05-2014, 05:37 AM

35,702 posts, read 21,063,743 times
I really do not see Tampa as the largest city on IT'S own. Is that combined with Pinellas county? larger population because people actually live there? I want to know in summer months or winter snow bird count? I lived the the last 7 yrs until March of this year- don't see it.

Old 06-05-2014, 05:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrlFlaUsa View Post
This actually means we're the 3rd largest city in the state (behind Miami, then Tampa) since we all know that the Jacksonville number is a farce.

Heck if manhattanizing-Miami will never catch Jacksonville in city population, then it's pretty obvious something is wrong with the picture.
If Jacksonville is a "farce" how is Orlando not one as an MSA? Your logic is a bit selective since Orlando's "metropolitan" area (metropolitan defined as "a region consisting of a densely populated urban core and its less-populated surrounding territories, sharing industry, infrastructure, and housing.") includes 4000 square miles ranging from the south end of Osceola County to the north end of Lake County and the west end of Lake County to the east end of Orange County. Another definition has it including Volusia County, Flagler County and Sumter County which is too funny for words. To suggest more than half of that area relies on Orlando for economic survival or any day-to-day existence is ridiculous and any one with any sense would recognize that Jacksonville is far more deserving of it's status than Orlando when talking of "stand alone" cities. To illustrate the how manufactured the numbers are, look at the "city" of Orlando map. Notice the blob of red to the south which represents half. That seems like organic growth...

Orlando, Florida - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 06-05-2014, 05:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinytrump View Post
I really do not see Tampa as the largest city on IT'S own. Is that combined with Pinellas county? larger population because people actually live there? I want to know in summer months or winter snow bird count? I lived the the last 7 yrs until March of this year- don't see it.
Tampa's population alone (2012 census) was 347,645 which does not include surrounding cities or county. Hillsborough County's population is 1,229,000 and Pinellas County is 916,500. The Tampa Bay metro (4.3 million, twice the size of the Orlando "metro") is the 16th largest metro area in the US.

Old 06-05-2014, 06:12 AM

35,702 posts, read 21,063,743 times
i guess we just have visitors, but the longer I am here the more I do see cows,,, or land that has no people living on it, so maybe so. we also have huge ponds--- so maybe we lead in water area for sure. and all the acreage dedicated to the parks. Jax was like that all under city limits but mostly cow pastures, some year back- haven't been lately. So- OK- then cows and lakes take up space,,, I bow

Old 06-05-2014, 07:46 AM

4,167 posts, read 9,342,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
That would actually be further suburbanization as most would attribute the growth that has occurred primarily through sprawl and annexation. Orlando's original footprint wasn't much different from St Petersburg's and unlike it Orlando has plenty of undeveloped land surrounding in Orange County to fill with strip malls, fast food chains/gas stations and residential. That's not the kind of growth to be cheering about.
This population count is only for within the city limits, not the metro. Orlando city limits are actually fairly small, and the only real undeveloped land in Orlando is Lake Nona. In the past I have seen a trend more multi-use, multi-family developments going up around Orlando. Places like Steelhouse, Skyhouse, Sodo, Mills Park, the various condo towers downtown, the area around FL Hospital, the Uptown area, Baldwin Park. I would say that increase in density is more urbanization. Sure there are still areas around CFL continuing the sprawl, like out in Apopka and NW Orange County and East Orlando, but the city itself has started the urbanization process.

Old 06-05-2014, 07:48 AM

1,512 posts, read 2,365,593 times
Miami MSA - 5,828,191
Tampa MSA - 2,870,569
Orlando MSA - 2,267,846
Jacksonville MSA - 1,394,624
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando