Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2014, 07:27 AM

3,973 posts, read 8,124,461 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinytrump View Post
I know all of the above being from Miami beach, I think we prob have Chinese sand by now, but what we saw was old condos or buildings after building - older style area very similar to Daytona, I have NOT been there for 30 yrs and probably looks the same. I know bout the turtle eggs from the GULF side, so nothing new, but the area around the beaches is what we found depressing. Clearwater and Dade-Broward beaches have improved their surroundings- lots of places to eat and walk and except for a few hotels they are newer looking. I expect that tourist money would be re-invested in their locale and tax money on sidewalks streets, parks etc,
Anyhow, we decided if we want beach- we'll drive to the Tampa side. Maybe I expected something else.
Daytona is not the Daytona of 30 years ago. There are actually some beautiful beach side parks. I still love being able to drive on the beach up there or choose an area with no cars. Often all it takes to see the beauty on either coast is to just not go to the beach right at the end of the causeways that are usually touristy.
As for buildings getting older.....homes do age and the East Coast beaches in Brevard county are residential areas with a few hotels thrown in. You will not be able to see the ocean from A1A all the time because it is not always right on the beach. maybe I am an oddball, but I prefer beach areas to be not so modern and sort of Beach Boys surfer type attitudes.

Our theory and what we tell family is.....If you want to sit and look and pick up shells head to a Gulf side beaches They are beautiful to look at. If you want an Ocean and want to play and have fun in and on the water head East where the waves are usually more fun and where the off shore reef is often exposed for exploration and snorkeling at low tide. Never have figured out why Floridians are so only one side of the state. It is beautiful on each side. Just spent 2 weeks on Pacific coast in Central America and have to say,,,,,I will take Florida beaches on either side for beauty over the rocky dark sand beaches there......but hey.....I will still go back for a different kind of beauty down there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2014, 02:14 PM

35,416 posts, read 20,786,793 times
I agree that probably of I put more time and gas to drive up and down the coast I'd find a more open beach, but the kids were tired of riding from 1-4 n 27th - traffic as bad and really could not see WHERE to go, so we turned back. The end of the beach line 528- didn't impress- I'll take a drive one day and explore and see what I can find.

Old 06-08-2014, 06:33 PM

3,973 posts, read 8,124,461 times
Quote:
I agree that probably of I put more time and gas to drive up and down the coast I'd find a more open beach, but the kids were tired of riding from 1-4 n 27th - traffic as bad and really could not see WHERE to go, so we turned back. The end of the beach line 528- didn't impress- I'll take a drive one day and explore and see what I can find.
Nope, that isn't even Cocoa beach. That is Cape Canaveral. So did you take them to see the port? You were right there and it is sort of cool to see the cruise ships and coast guard cruisers etc. There is a cool campground(Jetty Park) there that has a descent beach but it is not Cocoa Beach Need to come farther South to get to Cocoa Beach. Might want to take 528 to 520 and go to the end and the beach there, or the pier, or to beaches south about a mile. Your 14 year old grand daughter would love Ron Jons.

You are probably closer to St Petersburg area beaches from where you live though. Haven't been there in years, but I fell in love with Pass-a-Grille-Beach. That might be the type of place where you could walk around in the shops etc. It was just laid back-only a couple blocks long and there is a shuttle from there to Shell Key where you can find all kinds of shells.
When I was there there was stormy weather coming so we got some good waves for boogey boarding but most of the time really calm waters.

Old 06-08-2014, 06:41 PM

12,626 posts, read 31,945,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Menacopey4 View Post
We are currently in Alamonte Springs Florida near Winterpark and want to go to a beach with a boardwalk that is less than an hour. Any suggestions.
Your best bet is Daytona. It's got a small boardwalk with some neat things. There are also some nice restaurants, movies and more.

Old 06-08-2014, 10:14 PM

35,416 posts, read 20,786,793 times
It is hard to beat Miami beach, but have to find an alternate some time. So far Sand Key has been the only beach we like. We lived in Tampabay 7 yrs, so we hit a lot of beaches, Fort de Soto my 2nd pick for the gulf. I do NOT want a beach that cars drive on- I'd be a nervous wreck with the younger grand kids.
We saw the pier in Cocoa one full public parking lot, and mostly old condos and slow traffic. Just wasn't not a good day to check beaches. We passed the port, but they have seen the ships go off the John LLOYD beach. I find that we had more things to do with kids in Miami area than in Central Fl ?

Old 06-09-2014, 06:38 AM

12,017 posts, read 14,249,529 times
Quote:
It is hard to beat Miami beach, but have to find an alternate some time. So far Sand Key has been the only beach we like. We lived in Tampabay 7 yrs, so we hit a lot of beaches, Fort de Soto my 2nd pick for the gulf. I do NOT want a beach that cars drive on- I'd be a nervous wreck with the younger grand kids.
We saw the pier in Cocoa one full public parking lot, and mostly old condos and slow traffic. Just wasn't not a good day to check beaches. We passed the port, but they have seen the ships go off the John LLOYD beach. I find that we had more things to do with kids in Miami area than in Central Fl ?
Kids in central FL? Forgot about the theme parks??

You've also got the space center and Brevard zoo on the space coast, and the Sanford zoo and Orlando science center centrally

Old 06-09-2014, 11:08 AM

147 posts, read 210,992 times
I personally prefer the gulf coast beaches, though those would be a little longer drive from Altamonte. Clearwater Beach does have the Pier. Pier 60 at Clearwater Beach | St Petersburg Clearwater, FL Beach Vacations. I really like Anna Maria Island and Indian Rocks though they don't have boardwalks. The nice thing about Florida is you can try one beach one weekend then another the next. Explore and find YOUR favorite!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando