U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2007, 05:45 PM

4 posts, read 22,623 times

Advertisements

I am interested in the Winter Springs, Oviedo, and Tusc areas. It seems like prices there are still high. Any chance prices will come down in the next year in that general vicinity? I can only afford around 200,000, which doesn't come close to a decent 4/2 even 3/2 in those areas. 1 see 1 for 238,000 so maybe a little negotiating room, but that's it!

And, any chance crime will move to those areas in the near future. I can afford some nice places in Avalon (pre-forclosures), but don't love the surrounding areas as much. But, if Oviedo and Tuscawilla will go the same way, I might as well just buy in Avalon Park. Or, if there is little chance for crime growth, I may just try to rent in a community that's slightly out of my range and wait until I save more for a down payment!

Finally, what do country club dues run in Florida? Here, the are about 10,000 initiation per family and 300-500 per month for golf/tennis and 200 a month for just swim/social. Thanks.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2007, 05:53 PM

8,377 posts, read 29,497,774 times
First of all, they already have "crime" in those communities. Burglaries, domestic disputes, sorry, but unless you live in a very rural part of North Dakota it's in your neighborhood too. But if you mean that the rate of crime will remain low, I see no reason this area shouldn't retain itself as a safe one. Tuskawilla (which is more in Winter Springs) is one of the most well established, attractive, community oriented areas in the Orlando area, and unlike most other parts of the Orlando area, you really don't have a lot of bad areas nearby. Violent crime is quite rare in Winter Springs, and although slightly more common in Oviedo (closer to Orange County), still not bad.

As far as the bubble thing is concerned, that area has always been a little more expensive than surrounding areas. That doesn't make it "bubble proof" per se, but it's always going to be a little higher than other areas due to desirability. Like anywhere else in Florida, rent and sit.

Can't help you on the CC fees, live near Fort Lauderdale now.

Old 12-14-2007, 05:56 PM

Thanks! That's exactly what I meant. I just didn't know if they were areas prime for new HUD developments and more crime. Heck, crime is everywhere, I agree. With tots, though, I want a bit of comfort. If I were single, I'd go urban :-). I might start scoping out rentals. Thanks again.

Old 12-14-2007, 06:29 PM

8,377 posts, read 29,497,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunandsand4me View Post
Thanks! That's exactly what I meant. I just didn't know if they were areas prime for new HUD developments and more crime. Heck, crime is everywhere, I agree. With tots, though, I want a bit of comfort. If I were single, I'd go urban :-). I might start scoping out rentals. Thanks again.
You will have some comfort around there. It's just like the suburbs of any other city, as is Seminole County in general. Avalon Park is nice, but like you said, the surrounding areas aren't so sweet. I would never want to live that close to East Colonial anyhow .

Look into parts of Longwood, Altamonte Springs, and even parts of unincorporated Sanford (stay out of city limits, but closer towards Lake Mary) for more affordable homes. They have some not as nice areas in those cities, but the nice areas are a good value.

Old 12-14-2007, 08:54 PM

1,065 posts, read 3,955,560 times
Some of the nicer, newer 3/2's and 4/2's in oviedo may touch the lower 200K mark next year. But I wouldn't hold my breath for prices to go that low for the nicer homes of decent size in the Tuskawilla country club area. However I also don't see prices going up too much in the next few years even there.

Who knows where crime goes next except the criminals. The area has had a good track history though and I personally don't see any reason for it to go downhill.

No idea on the country club fee's never been a part of one.

There are some places in Oviedo already hitting 200K and a few that I can see going that low in the next year, off hand, are some homes in Stillwater, some off Alafaya Woods Blvd (both have homes at or under 200K now). There are also a bunch of other neighborhoods spread throughout, some near Tuskawilla Rd, that are already under 200K. The homes are a little older but still in nice neighborhoods.

Old 12-15-2007, 08:56 AM

35 posts, read 165,754 times
My real estate agent told me she has a house on the market in Deer Run off Tuskawilla Road for $230,000 and the seller's would probably take around $200,000.

Old 12-15-2007, 09:46 AM

Thank you all! You have given me great hope :-)

Old 12-17-2007, 07:21 AM

1,573 posts, read 3,894,959 times
Oviedo is not bubbleproof. Housing values have declined somewhat. The fundamentals for the area economicly just aren't as robust as some parts of Orlando or Winter Park. I don't see somebody buying a house today, maintaining that value in 3-5 years. The only thing going for it, is low crime and decent schools.

Old 12-18-2007, 12:07 AM

61 posts, read 254,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnulus View Post
Oviedo is not bubbleproof. Housing values have declined somewhat. The fundamentals for the area economicly just aren't as robust as some parts of Orlando or Winter Park. I don't see somebody buying a house today, maintaining that value in 3-5 years. The only thing going for it, is low crime and decent schools.
This assessment is not accurate.

It ignores the fact that Oviedo is 1 mile away from a giant university and a high-tech research park, both employing thousands people with upper middle class salaries. It just so happens that both UCF and the research park are right over the county border in Orlando. Aside from the general desirability of living near a big university (which usually means lots of things to do), Oviedo is basically the only good option for having virtually no commute and living in a nice safe city. This situation is very different than most places with "only" low crime and decent schools, which do not have the benefit of sitting on the doorstep of a giant university. The value of that proximity will never go away and therefore keep the fundamentals consistent.

ores

Old 12-18-2007, 04:45 AM

1,573 posts, read 3,894,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oresident View Post
This assessment is not accurate.

It ignores the fact that Oviedo is 1 mile away from a giant university and a high-tech research park, both employing thousands people with upper middle class salaries. It just so happens that both UCF and the research park are right over the county border in Orlando. Aside from the general desirability of living near a big university (which usually means lots of things to do), Oviedo is basically the only good option for having virtually no commute and living in a nice safe city.
ores
There are few if any good jobs in Oviedo. The research park is pretty much the only source of good employment, and that is not a diverse employer; it's mostly engineering jobs. If you live in Oviedo you will have a long commute, the same as any other part of the Orlando area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

>