Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2014, 07:51 PM

1,512 posts, read 2,352,027 times

Advertisements

Looks like I-Drive will begin to look more like the LV Strip in the future:

"International Drive has long been known as one of the major entertainment hubs of Central Florida, but the popular stretch will soon have even more options.

On Thursday, Orlando-based US Thrill Rides announced details of a 570-foot roller coaster planned for I-Drive.

Called Skyscraper, the ride would be the tallest roller coaster in the world, spiraling down at 65 mph from 570 feet above the Orlando skyline. Skyscraper is scheduled to begin construction next year with an opening in 2016.

The ride will also include an observation deck, tower-top restaurant and ground-level stores.

But Skyscraper isn't the only new attraction planned for I-Drive.

A few blocks north of the site of the planned coaster will be the 400-foot-tall Orlando Eye observation wheel, currently under construction. The wheel, similar to the London Eye, will act as the centerpiece of a new entertainment hub called I-Drive 360.

The planned area is scheduled to open in spring 2015 and will include a Madame Tussauds wax museum and a new aquarium, along with shops and restaurants.

Artegon Orlando Marketplace, formerly known as "Festival Bay Mall," will be a new shopping, dining and entertainment complex on I-Drive across from Orlando Premium Outlets.

The renovated property will be a hub for local artisans, craftspeople and entrepreneurs and will be anchored by tenants including Bass Pro Shop, Ron Jon Surf Shop, Toby Keith's I Love this Bar and Grill, Cinemark Theatres and more.

The new additions to International Drive will join present favorites like Ripley's Believe it or Not!, Wonderworks, IceBar, Titanic: The Experience, Fun Spot America and several miniature golf courses, among other dining and entertainment options."

Main article and gallery: I-Drive attractions: present and future - Orlando Sentinel

Development map: I-Drive development - Orlando Sentinel
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2014, 09:26 PM

2,124 posts, read 4,490,158 times
I'm excited for all of it. I hope that with the Skyscraper opening up on I-Drive the rest of that strip will improve. I-Drive south of Sand Lake is already well kept, and I think the addition of I-Drive 360 will be great. I hope that the new Festival Bay development proves way more successful than its predecessor. Maybe we'll start getting the huge themed hotels like LV, but who knows.

Old 06-13-2014, 09:42 PM

12,017 posts, read 14,253,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brinkofsunshine View Post
I'm excited for all of it. I hope that with the Skyscraper opening up on I-Drive the rest of that strip will improve. I-Drive south of Sand Lake is already well kept, and I think the addition of I-Drive 360 will be great. I hope that the new Festival Bay development proves way more successful than its predecessor. Maybe we'll start getting the huge themed hotels like LV, but who knows.
It really is stark to see the contrast between north and south I drive with sand lake as the dividing line. I'm with you and hope that it makes the north less dingy and more vibrant

Old 06-14-2014, 12:51 AM

1,284 posts, read 3,884,466 times
The north end would need a huge influx of nice new hotels,restaurants and attractions along with some street enhancements and improvements for it to significantly improve.Just compare the street itself south of Sand lake and north of Sand lake,north of Sand lake its super narrow,no medians and very few trees,that alone will never compare to the strip south of Sand lake.On the north end even the properties themselves are just more crammed into their lots.It's amazing the difference of how much better everything looks when you have more space and nice landscaping,even the businesses seem to suffer more on the north end,there are several hotels and businesses that if it were up to me would have a date with the wrecking ball.Didn't the Wyndham on the SE corner of I-Drive and Sand Lake tear down part of their hotel to build some of the new restaurants going up alongside the Orlando eye,kinda the same thing needs to happen on the north end,somebody with money needs to come in and redevelop the area,the Skyscraper project is a good start.

Old 06-15-2014, 06:26 AM

3,941 posts, read 5,047,300 times
... and you can take SUNRAIL right there.

Old 06-15-2014, 06:51 AM

26,585 posts, read 61,886,187 times
I just hope they can clean up some of that area. If all of I-Drive could be like the area between Sea World and Sand Lake it would be great!

Old 06-15-2014, 09:38 AM

4,081 posts, read 3,586,359 times
The thrill rides are a neat idea, but it seems like that would be a very hard market to break into with Disney World and Universal so close.

The "Artegon", over time, will become a glorified flea market. It's hard to keep quality independent tenants, and when the owners get desperate for tenants, they'll let lower-end vendors in there. It's an inevitable downfall that happens to markets all over the country.

Old 06-15-2014, 10:51 AM

1,512 posts, read 2,352,027 times
One of the main problems with I-Drive is that a lot of it still looks tacky and low-end. Gift shops that prey on tourist, all-you-can-eat places, SONY stores, uninteresting strip malls, etc. It's still much better than 192, but it's still not as appealing.

But the roller coaster and wax museum might be neat. The nightclub might also be a good addition.

Old 06-17-2014, 07:15 AM

220 posts, read 415,678 times
All of this stuff is very exciting. Like some of the posters stated above, as long as I-Drive north of Sand Lake does something to overhaul the landscaping and slowly gets rid of the tacky TShirt shops (and other lower end shopping options) that entire area can be transformed over the next 10 years or so. I am not sure about the Festival Bay Mall but have always had a fondness to that mall and would love to see their new concept work out.

Is it true that the new Sunrail will stop right near this area in I-Drive? If so that is another plus for its long term potential.

Old 06-17-2014, 07:20 AM

26,585 posts, read 61,886,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric1026 View Post
All of this stuff is very exciting. Like some of the posters stated above, as long as I-Drive north of Sand Lake does something to overhaul the landscaping and slowly gets rid of the tacky TShirt shops (and other lower end shopping options) that entire area can be transformed over the next 10 years or so. I am not sure about the Festival Bay Mall but have always had a fondness to that mall and would love to see their new concept work out.

Is it true that the new Sunrail will stop right near this area in I-Drive? If so that is another plus for its long term potential.
Sunrail doesn't come anywhere near I-Drive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
View detailed profiles of: