Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2014, 06:43 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,020,627 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spring Hillian View Post
Wondering why we dont see posts entitled "Hetrosexual Couple Moving to Orlando"?

What does sexual orientation have to do with a relocation?

The days of burning people at the stake because of their views or lifestyle are over.

Just be human, stop labeling yourselves.
Not the case in many areas. If they had said they were considering relocating to certain parts of Lake County, Marion County, or Sumter County, I would have suggested otherwise. Unfortunately Homophobia is still alive and well in many areas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2014, 07:25 AM

28 posts, read 57,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
Happy to hear you're possibly reconsidering. : ) I can't stress enough about how much happier I think you'll be in Winter Park with a much less heightened case of culture shock. Bear in mind Winter Park is completely different from Lake Nona with much older housing stock which in your price range have largely been redone to today's standards with homes of character, versus the shiny new Lake Nona style cookie-cutter version. Winter Park is quite walkable for the most part and in my list of homes I attached below you can convert to map view to see their proximity to shops/restaurants/parks, etc. The zip codes are 32789 and 32792 though I wouldn't use them as guidance as there are some areas within those areas while not so much dangerous, just wouldn't be appealing. Roughly anything from a few blocks west of SR436 over to US17-92/Orlando Ave, south of Lake Maitland/Howell Branch Road and north of Lake Sue/the Orlando city line would be the easiest focus point for a map. It also places you into an area with excellent public schools.

Winter Park 3 bedrooms 2 bathrooms Single-Family Homes For Sale — Trulia.com
Thank you kyle19125! We have tons of homework to do while we are down there next week and we cant wait! The wife already found The Wine Room in Winter Park and said we must go there LOL I told her we need to find somewhere to live first!!!! LOL You guys have been so helpful

Old 06-23-2014, 08:06 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,020,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by princesst81 View Post
Thank you kyle19125! We have tons of homework to do while we are down there next week and we cant wait! The wife already found The Wine Room in Winter Park and said we must go there LOL I told her we need to find somewhere to live first!!!! LOL You guys have been so helpful
You can also check out the Wine Barn which is also in Winter Park, and OLV in SoDo, plus Eola Wine Company.

Old 06-23-2014, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
You can also check out the Wine Barn which is also in Winter Park, and OLV in SoDo, plus Eola Wine Company.
Duly noted!

Old 06-23-2014, 12:48 PM

219 posts, read 377,370 times
Another thing to consider, yes, you may have to commute to work and that can be a b*&%^..However, if your extra-curricular activities on the weekends take you further from home, perhaps to a wine bar, etc...consider that you may be able to walk home on the weekends, versus try to drive. Not saying you are irresponsible, and who doesn't enjoy a good time! Just a thought.

Old 06-23-2014, 01:14 PM

2,682 posts, read 4,479,280 times
Welcome! Fellow lesbian couple here. We just had our first baby in March. I think you will be most welcome here. We have not had any issues.

We lived in Lake Nona for a year. We ended up moving for two reasons: (1) it's far away from everything - for now - as the building keeps up, you will not need to leave Lake Nona for anything I think - but that's probably 2 years out or so (someone correct me if I'm way off); (2) I find Lake Nona currently a bit overpriced - our girl is not going to start school anytime soon, so we felt paying those rent prices not worth it at the moment. We would move back to Lake Nona in the future if we don't end up leaving the state.

We are originally from the NY area ourselves. Moved down here for various reasons, but staying down here because of the cost of living compared to the NYC suburbs. We just started our 5th year here and are getting rather bored. There are things to do, but we don't do well in the heat and right now, probably through the end of September, we don't leave the house unless it is to go to work. Seems like you've made your decision but something to consider. The first summer was awful, the second a bit better, third and forth summers where tolerable and now in our fifth summer I'm over it. I thought I could learn to live in this heat, but I've now gotten to the point where I can't.

Old 06-23-2014, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beachgoer44 View Post
Another thing to consider, yes, you may have to commute to work and that can be a b*&%^..However, if your extra-curricular activities on the weekends take you further from home, perhaps to a wine bar, etc...consider that you may be able to walk home on the weekends, versus try to drive. Not saying you are irresponsible, and who doesn't enjoy a good time! Just a thought.
LOL totally understood and you are right. Easier to walk or jump in a cab instead of going crosstown.

Old 06-23-2014, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by katestar View Post
Welcome! Fellow lesbian couple here. We just had our first baby in March. I think you will be most welcome here. We have not had any issues.

We lived in Lake Nona for a year. We ended up moving for two reasons: (1) it's far away from everything - for now - as the building keeps up, you will not need to leave Lake Nona for anything I think - but that's probably 2 years out or so (someone correct me if I'm way off); (2) I find Lake Nona currently a bit overpriced - our girl is not going to start school anytime soon, so we felt paying those rent prices not worth it at the moment. We would move back to Lake Nona in the future if we don't end up leaving the state.

We are originally from the NY area ourselves. Moved down here for various reasons, but staying down here because of the cost of living compared to the NYC suburbs. We just started our 5th year here and are getting rather bored. There are things to do, but we don't do well in the heat and right now, probably through the end of September, we don't leave the house unless it is to go to work. Seems like you've made your decision but something to consider. The first summer was awful, the second a bit better, third and forth summers where tolerable and now in our fifth summer I'm over it. I thought I could learn to live in this heat, but I've now gotten to the point where I can't.
Hi and thank you for responding. So it seems as though the only thing you have a problem with is the heat? I am a summer baby actually born July 1st so the heat doesn't bother me. I have been to Orlando all different times of the year and yes it was hot but nothing that would make me say I can't live here. My wife and I are very active as we both lost alot of weight and our lifestyle consists of working out at the gym, long walks and bicycling. Will we be able to do that as much as we would like? Possibly not everyday but its nice to know we can during the month of December since we cant here. I dont know its something we will just have to wait and see but if the only thing you cant stand is the heat then I think we will do just fine in Florida.

Would you mind telling me where you live now? Also once Nona is built up fully, wouldn't it be more expensive to come back to it later being that is has alot more amenities to offer someone?

By the way the wife and I are planning for a baby within the next few years so congratulations on your bundle of joy as we cant wait.

Thankfully with my job situation, I can always come back to NY if need be but I pray I dont have to. Everything is just getting more and more expensive here in NYC and I honestly want and need a new change in my life. This opportunity came up for me a few years back and I turned it down. I am married and settled now and my priorities are completely different now than they were a few years back. I just want the best for my family and future children and I feel my salary will go further down there.

Old 06-24-2014, 07:36 AM

2,682 posts, read 4,479,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by princesst81 View Post
Hi and thank you for responding. So it seems as though the only thing you have a problem with is the heat? I am a summer baby actually born July 1st so the heat doesn't bother me. I have been to Orlando all different times of the year and yes it was hot but nothing that would make me say I can't live here. My wife and I are very active as we both lost alot of weight and our lifestyle consists of working out at the gym, long walks and bicycling. Will we be able to do that as much as we would like? Possibly not everyday but its nice to know we can during the month of December since we cant here. I dont know its something we will just have to wait and see but if the only thing you cant stand is the heat then I think we will do just fine in Florida.

Would you mind telling me where you live now? Also once Nona is built up fully, wouldn't it be more expensive to come back to it later being that is has alot more amenities to offer someone?

By the way the wife and I are planning for a baby within the next few years so congratulations on your bundle of joy as we cant wait.

Thankfully with my job situation, I can always come back to NY if need be but I pray I dont have to. Everything is just getting more and more expensive here in NYC and I honestly want and need a new change in my life. This opportunity came up for me a few years back and I turned it down. I am married and settled now and my priorities are completely different now than they were a few years back. I just want the best for my family and future children and I feel my salary will go further down there.
Yes, the heat is killing me. I used to do a bunch of outdoor activities up north that I don't do any more here -run outside, bike, hike etc. It's just too hot most of the time. My parents live in NJ and it's as hot as here in the months of July/August but the fall and spring months are great. I feel that here, you get no break, ever. Even December/January this year was hotter than usual. You really only get 3 months before it's 80+ degrees again during the day. We've been going to the mall with the baby on the weekends, just walking around in the AC. But it's still a pain, you have to drive there with the AC on full blast, schlep across the hot parking lot etc. We would much rather be outdoors. We did go to a Wekiva Park a few weeks back, but it got way to hot by 11am and we left. I feel that from March to September you are really limited in what you can do. Anyway, I'll stop lol.

When we moved to Nona there were 3 apartment complexes, however, the area was still lightly populated and the hospitals weren't open yet, so rent was OK. When it came time to renew, they wanted to raise the rent $400/month because the hospital had opened and there was an influx of people with money into the area. Since then, I think 3 other apartment complexes have been built and plans for 2 more are under way. I already see the rents lower than when we left. I think right now the doctor's moving into the area are driving prices up. On top of the new apartment complexes, building is continuing like crazy, so there will be more single family dwellings available in the future. I think right now the demand is pretty high for the supply and eventually in my opinion it will even out. I mean you have houses selling there for like half a million dollars - no way it's worth that. For half a million bucks I can buy a really nice house up in New Jersey or something with better schools and more access to culture etc (and better weather lol).

We now live on the eastern border of Belle Isle. Belle Isle is very nice but expensive. I don't know why. We have an 800 sq ft condo though, and it's cheap I think. We are staying in the area because my job is here.

What I would suggest is to pick an area, Nona is fine and rent. Seems like you guys will be going out frequently so check out the other areas. That's what we did when we first got here. Soon you'll figure out where you want to be. The one thing to remember is that Orlando is VERY spread out and the traffic lights take forever. So it may only be a 10 mile drive, but could take you like 40 minutes to drive it. The toll roads are expensive, even by NY standards I think.

In my opinion, Winter Park reminds me too much of SW CT so I stay away; Dr. Phillips is too close to Universal and I-Drive and very busy; MetroWest is right on the border with the Pine Hills Ghetto; Altamonte/Maitland/Lake Mary - to consider when you have kids of school age or live if you work in one of those towns (since I work by the airport these are too far for us); Waterford is a bit out there and crowded. Like I said, I would move to Nona again once baby girl is ready to go to school. Right now we are paying cheap rent and getting our bills paid up so we have more options in a few years.

Let me know if you'd like a recommendation for a great doctor in town when you're ready to proceed with your family. I'll be happy to answer any questions you have.

Old 06-24-2014, 11:46 AM

59 posts, read 171,660 times
Dear OP,

We (wife and I) currently live in Lake Nona (Laureate Park to be exact). It's a great place, but its not for everyone. I prefer to live closer to work (or in the opposite direction of traffic) than closer to where I play. Mainly because we don't go out much, once a weekend. We are not likely to go to a restaurant/bar midweek ( I like to cook). We may go to a special event mid-week a few times a year (concert, sporting event). So for us we don't leave the Nona Hood very often, so it makes sense for us. For us going out is a choice, but going to work is a must, so we would rather travel a shorter distance to work than play.

I prefer newer homes, with energy efficiency and less things to fix. Also, the fiber optic internet (1 GB up/down speeds) in Laureate Park attracted me. We purchased a home here because we like the area and everything it offers and we knew that once everything is built we will probably not be able to afford to buy here.

There are many things coming to Lake Nona, but it's "coming" or "planned" so it could change or never happen. So don't let what is coming influence you too much. Fall in love with what's here and what ever comes down the road is a bonus. The first phase of the town center will open next year, a few restaurants and office/hotel space. The United States Tennis Association is moving the headquarters to Lake Nona and building a huge tennis facility where the Pros will train and have events. Again, that may be 3-5 years out for completion.

If you like walking and bicycling then that is a bonus for you in Lake Nona. There are 44 miles of hike/bike trails. Also, since it is pretty wide open right now, tons of bike groups meet up in the area and cycle together. I see large groups go pass my house, especially on weekend mornings. They have an annual 5k (Run Nona Run) in November that goes through Laureate Park. There is also the Lake Nona Pig Run, another 5k, in the spring (i think in April).

So there things to do, but obviously it depends on what your interest are. If you want further info send me message.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando