Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2014, 10:39 AM

6 posts, read 7,515 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
I was referring to netting $1625/mo in Orlando, which would be about right with a $9/hr job as we have no state income tax.

If you will have no car, it might be harder--although not impossible--to find work in logistics near the airport. You'd have to be willing to walk a mile or so each way to the bus stop.

I would still set school aside for now. You are basically in survival mode. Find a p/t job, work as many hours as you can, put that entire paycheck into a bank account. As I see it, your biggest problem isn't the debt but rather the lack of savings to fall back on in an emergency.
Very true at the moment I have $6.25 cents in savings. I have horrible spending habits. I cut up all my credit cards 2 months ago and in the process of paying them off with whatever I have left after my bills. I felt like I dug my own grave with my debt but its a learning experience and I am still young lol. I just want to leave the toxic environment that I am in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2014, 04:24 AM

35,693 posts, read 21,049,622 times
go to a credit counselor and see what you can lower, sounds like you are young and can handle two jobs, but also possibly have to let go and cut your losses. Peace is first and if you feel it is time to go- GO but go with expectations of making it and you will. Time for a change. there are plenty of sites for roommates- rooms to rent etc, I do not know too much of Orl as I just got here, but In Miami, that's where the money is and I know a " room" is easy to find. BUT here, everywhere I go there are new buildings, construction of new vacation empires, so that means jobs. Maybe $9 hr but gotta start somewhere. Some very well to do people were broke at least 3 times before they found their niche and made it. Do not be afraid to fail and have to start over, it happens.

Old 07-10-2014, 10:42 AM

782 posts, read 1,368,622 times
During my divorce years back, I ended up going through a debt consolidation company (Consolidated Credit) to help get out from under credit card debt and it worked out great. The trick with those companies is that your credit card accounts that you put into consolidation will be cancelled, but that does help make sure you can actually pay things off instead of just treading water.

For a while, I had a job where I could commute just by Lynx (the local bus system), and that helped me save a ton of money in terms of car payments and insurance. In general, the cost of living is so much lower than some of the higher-priced parts of the NE (like where I was from near DC or where you're coming from in LI). You asked about utilities, and for the apartment I'm in, we're paying about $120/month for electric for a three-bedroom place (with me working from home full-time, which ups the cost a bit). The remainder of our utilities (trash, water, sewage, etc.) is around $50/month.

Getting full-time work in some sort of service position can be tricky, but it is possible to hold multiple part-time jobs to help keep income levels up.

Whatever you decide, best of luck to you, and hope you're able to get the toxicity out of your life soon!

Old 07-11-2014, 08:55 AM

46 posts, read 74,897 times
I would be hesitant to live in Orlando with no vehicle, personally. If you have a solid job lined up in advance and can find something that definitely has an easy public transportation option, it could work, but if you're trying to have more than one job it seems that would be a challenge with no car and having to depend on the public system to get somewhere potentially in a hurry.

Do you mind if I ask how your insurance got to over $400 a month? I only ask because I got a DUI at age 20 back in 2006, and 6 months after I got my license back I had an at-fault accident (ironically, one year to the day after my DUI arrest) resulting in about $5k of damage to my vehicle and a few thousand to another, and I never paid more than $350 a month.

Old 07-11-2014, 09:13 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,038,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by barbosa View Post
I would be hesitant to live in Orlando with no vehicle, personally. If you have a solid job lined up in advance and can find something that definitely has an easy public transportation option, it could work, but if you're trying to have more than one job it seems that would be a challenge with no car and having to depend on the public system to get somewhere potentially in a hurry.

Do you mind if I ask how your insurance got to over $400 a month? I only ask because I got a DUI at age 20 back in 2006, and 6 months after I got my license back I had an at-fault accident (ironically, one year to the day after my DUI arrest) resulting in about $5k of damage to my vehicle and a few thousand to another, and I never paid more than $350 a month.
And where were you living?

Old 07-11-2014, 09:02 PM

3,595 posts, read 6,946,544 times
With Lynx, SunRail, and a fixie, I get around pretty good, and choose to leave my car in the driveway.

Old 07-13-2014, 04:57 PM

1 posts, read 857 times
Advice on that lease, sweetie, go on and turn it on three months ahead of time. Look at your contract, if you don't want to buy it or continue the lease, that's how the dealerships get their money, by trying to say you didn't give ample warning, aren't interested in a new car and therefor are no use. Brother is a leading agent. Trust me, here.

I'm over in Brevard, not that far, and do have family on Orlando. If you're doing logistics I'd look at Cue, they ship and receive tech all over the world, really lovely family company, no drama, great benefits, they'll send you to school and there's room to grow. They also hardly have openings because people never leave, but worth keeping an eye on. [url=http://www.cuesinc.com/]Welcome to CUES World's Leading CCTV Pipeline Equipment Manufacturer[/url]

Another company, this one I know is usually hiring is Pat's Pump. [url=http://patspump.com/]Pump & Blower Sales & 24-Hour Service | Pat's Pump & Blower[/url]
Remember all those nice things I said about Cue? Think the opposite. They usually have openings and a lot of drama.

That inside scoop isn't sour grapes. Pats is owned by my 5 uncles. Cue is owned by a really nice guy who's done a lot of business with them back and forth. My other brother has worked logistics for both, he's not with family. I just own a bead shop.

Best of luck!

Old 07-13-2014, 07:16 PM

2,580 posts, read 3,748,545 times
Your biggest financial problem is that car lease. Nothing else matters until that beast is gone.

Old 07-15-2014, 10:37 AM

251 posts, read 637,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kori328 View Post
Yeah chopchop0 I lived there before and I do not understand why it gets hated so much. Its way better than the north. No harsh winters, and people aren't *******s. I never experienced any racism (and I am half spanish & half african american) and even though I made close to nothing I was happier. I moved back home to help my mother with my sisters medical expenses.

I just want to know if my plan of paying off my bills first is a good decision. Then saving (I can probably save about 9700 from now until next December) after paying off my debt.

Maybe it's because you don't look Black. If you all Black American or Caribbean you WILL see a lot racism from Whites and Hispanics many of whom are Black or part Black themselves.

Old 07-15-2014, 02:54 PM

399 posts, read 719,757 times
I just moved to Orlando from a place that had a higher cost of living. I was amazed how cheap things are here as far as rent, petro, car insurance..and other things. Before you move you should have some money saved up. It's a good thing that you have family just in case of an emergency.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
View detailed profiles of: