Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-13-2014, 07:04 AM

35,688 posts, read 21,042,380 times

Advertisements

I have been here 5 months and noticed that so many roads have very similar names, I am still confused with out a good GPS, and writing down the exact address, and wonder how the tourists fare.
Some of them are--Taft, Vineland, World, International, Orange, Central Florida not to mention -areas or towns as in Winter Park, Winter Haven, Winter Garden ? I know the longer I am here I will remember them I think, just seems it be very confusing to what we are- the tourist capital of Fl.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2014, 03:26 PM

26,585 posts, read 62,030,832 times
I don't see how any of these sound at all alike:

Quote:
Taft, Vineland, World, International, Orange, Central Florida
You seem very unhappy here. Why don't you just go back to Miami or Tampa, which you seem to prefer.

Or buy a GPS. They are pretty cheap these days.

Old 07-13-2014, 06:24 PM

2,580 posts, read 3,747,649 times
The poster does have a point about Vineland.

When I think "tourist," I think International Drive, 535, Vineland, and 192. That's it.

Old 07-13-2014, 07:13 PM

3,977 posts, read 8,170,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinytrump View Post
I have been here 5 months and noticed that so many roads have very similar names, I am still confused with out a good GPS, and writing down the exact address, and wonder how the tourists fare.
Some of them are--Taft, Vineland, World, International, Orange, Central Florida not to mention -areas or towns as in Winter Park, Winter Haven, Winter Garden ? I know the longer I am here I will remember them I think, just seems it be very confusing to what we are- the tourist capital of Fl.
Tourists use GPS for the most part. It will get you almost anywhere if you keep it updated. If you think it is bad here, don't go to Central America. Streets do not always have names. The GPS would tell us to turn right on road when you were on a roundabout and we'd have to guess which road was the road we were supposed to take.

Even directions for hotels on their reservation e-mails would say stay on main road into town, turn at the Maxi Pali and look for our sign across from.......... instead of using street names.

I for one will never complain about driving here ever again.

Old 07-13-2014, 08:37 PM

782 posts, read 1,368,455 times
The one that threw us for a loop when we first moved down was being at the corner of (County Road) 535 and (State Road) 535.

And of course my husband kept seeing signs for (Name of place that does exist)-Vineland road, and asked me where Vineland was. I had to admit I had no idea, and if Wikipedia is to be believed, it doesn't really exist anymore.

Old 07-14-2014, 01:33 PM

35,688 posts, read 21,042,380 times
I have a GPS and know how to get around much better now, my problem was there was an accident and my GPS didn't like that, the ole bat just kept telling me go back... lol - I though I saw a road the name was familiar and yes that was the right one but NO, close but no cigar. My map on the GPS shows 535-- OK Orange Dr -Orange Blossom what?? I am driving!

I guess all rentals have GPS? I do not know. Oh I know about overseas, I learned to drive when Hubby was stationed in Panama.... 8 cars across on 2 lanes downtown -loved it. I am not compalining, just I see alot of folks trying to find their way, and I feel for them- plus I think it can cause accidents.

Old 07-14-2014, 01:46 PM

26,585 posts, read 62,030,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinytrump View Post
I have a GPS and know how to get around much better now, my problem was there was an accident and my GPS didn't like that, the ole bat just kept telling me go back... lol - I though I saw a road the name was familiar and yes that was the right one but NO, close but no cigar. My map on the GPS shows 535-- OK Orange Dr -Orange Blossom what?? I am driving!

I guess all rentals have GPS? I do not know. Oh I know about overseas, I learned to drive when Hubby was stationed in Panama.... 8 cars across on 2 lanes downtown -loved it. I am not compalining, just I see alot of folks trying to find their way, and I feel for them- plus I think it can cause accidents.
Most people either bring their own GPS or rent one from the rental agency with the car.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando