Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2014, 06:59 PM

26,585 posts, read 61,803,875 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by boy3365 View Post
Yep. I can see the "organic" label being just another marketing ploy by food companies to make consumers think they are eating healthy like they did with low-fat (more sugar) and low-carb (sugar alcohols). Good advice. Reading the label is very important regardless of what the cover says. I remember reading on a local produce store's website that you can use the "local produce" label for products shipped as far as 400 miles away.

I do recall Publix wanting to expand their Greenwise store concept. There were rumors of them being in Winter Park and Dr. Phillips, but then things came to a halt. There are only three of them, and two of them are in Palm Beach County ($$$). It looks like they just expanded the selection of natural/organic foods in their existing stores based on neighborhood demand. The Orange/Michigan store has a huge Greenwise section whereas it's just a blurb in the smaller store where I usually shop.

I think Publix's biggest concern in the past few years has been the (smear haha) campaign by Walmart on prices and the rapid building of new Walmart Neighborhood Markets. Walmart has also instituted a "price-match BOGOs at the Walmart price" for Florida customers. Though most stores do BOGOs, Publix is almost branded by it. Walmart instituting that policy for Florida only (when Florida doesn't enjoy privileges like double coupons and the Publix Penny Item like the other states due to the lack of competition here), was basically a declaration of war.
They don't need to worry about losing me to WalMart. Haven't steeped foot in one in over a decade.

By the way, there are very stringent rules to be certified USDA organic, including very limited type and amount of pesticide use and non-GMO.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2014, 06:45 AM

26,804 posts, read 43,277,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
Actually, no. If you'll read what I wrote, Publix carries a very, very limited selection of organics. If you've ever been to Whole Foods in Winter Park or Dr. Phillips, you would know that there is a huge demand for organic food in this area. So Publix is losing market share for not catering to what people want. Organic chicken breast, pears, and orange juice are hardly a "northern" thing.
Actually for as much as I think Publix is dropping the ball in terms of opportunity with organic options, some of their stores have figured out the demand and are stocking better than they used to. I live in the Lake Mary/West Sanford area where I have three Publix stores within close proximity and one in particular (the Heathrow location) has a very sizable Organic Produce section, some Grassfed Beef and Organic Chicken (plus New Zealand Lamb which is nearly on par with organic production), as well as a large Greenwise section with all types of certified organic grocery items. The very fact that they have a few Greenwise stores here in Florida and the capability to provide more selection shows they're capable, so am not sure why they won't incorporate more options in most (or all ) of their remaining stores. Unless one has head their head in the sand the past few years it's apparent demand is rising, so why not respond to it???

Old 07-15-2014, 08:34 AM

12,017 posts, read 14,214,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
They don't need to worry about losing me to WalMart. Haven't steeped foot in one in over a decade.

By the way, there are very stringent rules to be certified USDA organic, including very limited type and amount of pesticide use and non-GMO.
GMO is more difficult to get out of products completely.... it's so pervasive

Is Organic Always GMO Free? | GMO Awareness

I think the science behind why people dislike it so much is lacking as well. I definitely try to avoid things like pesticides on my produce and hormones in my milk more than GMO, personally

Why Trust Scientists on Climate, But Not GMOs? | RealClearScience

Are GMO foods safe? Opponents are skewing the science to scare people.

Old 07-15-2014, 08:37 AM

2,955 posts, read 4,961,987 times
I think Publix is a good store. I go there to get items that aren't available at Winn Dixie. Comparing any supermarket chain to Wegmans is like comparing Atlantic City to Vegas. Not in the same league.

Old 07-15-2014, 08:47 AM

2,580 posts, read 3,716,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryWho? View Post
I think Publix is a good store. I go there to get items that aren't available at Winn Dixie. Comparing any supermarket chain to Wegmans is like comparing Atlantic City to Vegas. Not in the same league.
I looked up Wegmans. It appears to be a combination traditional supermarket and specialty store. I define specialty as what I assume Trader Joes to be though I haven't been there yet. Publix is more traditional supermarket, though it appears to be spicing things up in certain stores depending on the neighborhood.

Given our area's wages, I think Publix could be more concerned about losing 10% market share to stores that claim (emphasis on claim) to be cheaper than 1.3% to the organic market. (Totally made up percentages by the way.)

Old 07-15-2014, 12:55 PM

1,260 posts, read 1,679,911 times
I think Publx deli is lacking. That's my only complaint. The stores up north have multiple potato,macaroni, fresh salads etc and a lot more cooked option in their delis

Old 07-15-2014, 02:28 PM

626 posts, read 969,821 times
Publix has wonderful PR and is very clean, love their bakery, but they are so small. They cannot possibly stock new variations of anything because there is no room! I'm surprised after being around for what almost 50 years, they have not built bigger stores. That would be their competition up north where I come from. They have enormous stores and so many new items, which make it exciting to shop at and fills my cart like a mountain! They even have an organic department within the store besides their huge organic produce. I did shop at a smaller store for fresh meat which had a great reputation but everything else was that big store.

Old 07-15-2014, 03:41 PM

19 posts, read 23,904 times
FYI - I follow stocks quite a bit and recently there was a strong rumor that Publix was interested in taking over Whole Foods.

Old 07-15-2014, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
Actually for as much as I think Publix is dropping the ball in terms of opportunity with organic options, some of their stores have figured out the demand and are stocking better than they used to. I live in the Lake Mary/West Sanford area where I have three Publix stores within close proximity and one in particular (the Heathrow location) has a very sizable Organic Produce section, some Grassfed Beef and Organic Chicken (plus New Zealand Lamb which is nearly on par with organic production), as well as a large Greenwise section with all types of certified organic grocery items. The very fact that they have a few Greenwise stores here in Florida and the capability to provide more selection shows they're capable, so am not sure why they won't incorporate more options in most (or all ) of their remaining stores. Unless one has head their head in the sand the past few years it's apparent demand is rising, so why not respond to it???
FYI--Grassfed beef isn't always organic. I agree that they are missing out on a sizable market, I just don't understand the reluctance.

Old 07-15-2014, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chopchop0 View Post
GMO is more difficult to get out of products completely.... it's so pervasive

Is Organic Always GMO Free? | GMO Awareness

I think the science behind why people dislike it so much is lacking as well. I definitely try to avoid things like pesticides on my produce and hormones in my milk more than GMO, personally

Why Trust Scientists on Climate, But Not GMOs? | RealClearScience

Are GMO foods safe? Opponents are skewing the science to scare people.
I've banned it all from my diet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando