Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-24-2014, 12:31 PM

12 posts, read 13,609 times

Advertisements

My family and I are considering moving to Florida, Tampa area. I have read several of these blogs, but really am confused as to why people are move out of the state of Florida. Most people that move there cannot be confused by the fact that it has a warmer climate, including humidity. I know the climate is different in the south and that includes the bugs, but is that why people really move out of the state?

I have done a great deal of research, but need to get a better handle on the job market there. My spouse and I both will need to work. I have looked at several companies that are in the area. It seems as though there are many opportunities. Are companies still paying for relocation? I have seen on some employer sites that mention it, but not very many. Also, will local employers consider hiring you if you are not local but willing to relocate yourself?

Lastly, I am wondering how much money it will take to relocate a family of three, plus several pets from the Ohio area? We have savings and will continue to save until we are ready to move, but want to pay someone to move us.

We are an active outdoor family. Have vacationed in Florida and love the atmosphere there, but need more feedback from people that can share their experiences.

Thank you

Misty
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2014, 10:27 AM

4,278 posts, read 5,175,975 times
I think many people leave FL for jobs.....FL wages are lower...two main industries...retired people and tourism...both are doing ok now....

FL does have it's share of headaches...home insurance is expensive, mine is 2k now...doubled in four years....that is with
no hurricanes in 9 years....housing prices have gone up a lot...but you can find a place if you look...I would think you would rent for a while...

Tampa - you might reconsider that place...water and sink hole problems....

Jobs - depends on your skills/education...like anywhere....

Stuff to do - can get tough to keep kids entertained at times..it's pretty hot and humid with afternoon thundershowers the last few weeks...like every year...the beaches are nice..some people go camping but I tried it a few times and did not care for it down here..

I grew up in Akron and can see why you might want to get away from the cold, grey weather....but I think the schools were better up there (K-12). FL is sort of hit or miss with schools...mostly the kids don't seem to embrace it..plus too many illegals that slow things down....

Moving is not a big deal anymore..just dump your junk at a garage sale/Craigslist to get the weight down....find a decent
apartment and off you go...you can always pick up stuff on CL down here after you get settled....

You might consider Houston TX too. The economy is doing much better than here and the weather is the same...plus they have beaches too...

Good luck!

Old 07-26-2014, 12:53 PM

26,585 posts, read 62,020,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MistyMetz View Post
My family and I are considering moving to Florida, Tampa area. I have read several of these blogs, but really am confused as to why people are move out of the state of Florida. Most people that move there cannot be confused by the fact that it has a warmer climate, including humidity. I know the climate is different in the south and that includes the bugs, but is that why people really move out of the state?

I have done a great deal of research, but need to get a better handle on the job market there. My spouse and I both will need to work. I have looked at several companies that are in the area. It seems as though there are many opportunities. Are companies still paying for relocation? I have seen on some employer sites that mention it, but not very many. Also, will local employers consider hiring you if you are not local but willing to relocate yourself?

Lastly, I am wondering how much money it will take to relocate a family of three, plus several pets from the Ohio area? We have savings and will continue to save until we are ready to move, but want to pay someone to move us.

We are an active outdoor family. Have vacationed in Florida and love the atmosphere there, but need more feedback from people that can share their experiences.

Thank you

Misty

Plan on $10K to move your household. Plan on another $5K in various expenses related to the move, not including the cost of buying or renting a home.

Companies will pay for relocation in certain cases. If you are a highly regarded professional, possibly. If you are an administrative assistant, no. What type of work do you do?

Most companies have a strong preference for local applicants, as too many waste time and money and don't really research or think out the move in advance, and then either decline an offer or leave two months after moving and starting the new job.

You want Tampa, not sure why this was posted in the Orlando forum. That's like saying you want to live in Columbus but posting about it in the Cleveland forum.

Old 07-29-2014, 07:00 AM

12 posts, read 13,609 times
Thank you for your responses. I am not sure how I was listed in the Orlando area, I will see if I can move this to the Tampa area. My apologies for any confusion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
View detailed profiles of: