Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-05-2014, 09:12 PM

39 posts, read 41,890 times

Advertisements

Relocating soon to Clermont. I now live in an area that has a wonderful discount/salvage food store. Is there anything like that in Central Florida?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2014, 06:19 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,017,224 times
Not that I'm aware of. There is an Aldi in Clermont though.

Old 08-06-2014, 06:58 AM

3,977 posts, read 8,166,773 times
Don't know if there are any stores still open in the area but Flowers Bakeries used to have day old bread stores that sold more than just the bread so might check for Flowers in a local phone book to see if there are any still open.

Old 08-06-2014, 07:46 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,017,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabflmom View Post
Don't know if there are any stores still open in the area but Flowers Bakeries used to have day old bread stores that sold more than just the bread so might check for Flowers in a local phone book to see if there are any still open.
I've been here for 10 years and we've never had a bakery thrift store in Clermont. The only ones I knew of were on the other side of I-4 in Orlando, and have closed over the past few years.

Old 08-06-2014, 08:34 AM

782 posts, read 1,368,146 times
Quite a flashback…I remember when I lived down in Hollywood this place called Miami Depot that was a food salvage place. There were some amazing deals there.

Here's an outdated list of salvage grocery stores by state:
Salvage Grocery list by state

If the Groveland one is still open, that would be your closest option. The rest of the ones listed there would be a bit of a hike for you. You might try networking with the local Freecycling groups (or if there's a Freegan group around they would be a good source of info, too) to see if they have any leads.

Old 08-06-2014, 05:59 PM

12,626 posts, read 32,043,586 times
I'm not sure I know what a salvage store is but can someone explain? I know of Harvest Time in Sanford.
Harvest Time International Seminole Hope Center | Food & Essentials for Families in Need
They sell discounted groceries and household items donated from local stores.

Old 08-07-2014, 05:29 AM

782 posts, read 1,368,146 times
It looks like Harvest Time International works with agencies so that only people who qualify for assistance can purchase there -- a very noble idea, but a little different from a salvage store.

Basically a salvage store sells foods that were either mis-ordered, overstock, close to or just past expiration dates, scrach-and-dent merchandise, or bulk purchases from stores that have remodeled or gone out of business. These items are sold at a huge discount, and while the products in stock are very hit or miss and you do want to use good common sense on some things, they can be a great way to stretch a food budget or even find some very unusual products.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando