Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-13-2014, 05:50 PM

2,360 posts, read 5,248,462 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack_Russell View Post
I left Ohio because of the long harsh winters as well. I was tired of sitting in the house 5 months a year because it was too cold to go outside. I moved to Orlando, & spent 11 1/2 months indoors because it was too hot and muggy to go outside!
You can entertain yourself indoors by caulking every crack in the house to keep the ants & bugs from coming in & changing your A/C filters...
You never get used to the humidity, You can deal with it but never get used to it. Central Florida has horrible humidity. It's slightly lower by the coast. I also lived in Bradenton/Sarasota area & the humidity was bearable, central Fl not so much.
Your insurance will go up, A $400k home in Ohio Is a $600k home in FL and you'll still be near crime.
Winterpark is overpriced & surrounded by crime.

I lived in Florida for a total of 8 years, 1 1/2 years in Orlando. It wasn't for me.
Crime was too high. I subscribed to a crime watch website that would email me everyday when a crime happened near my home & It was downright scarey to see everyday. (& I lived in a decent neighborhood by Florida standards)

car insurance cost was too high, roughly 150% higher than NE Ohio
Too hot, all year long.....
Too humid, all year long....
Too many bugs, giant bugs...
No scenery, lack of hills/mountains. except for ant hills
Rude people, most didn't even speak english
lack of ethnic restaurants. Unless you like Cuban/Mexican. Spanish food is all of the same ingredients prepared different ways.

Toll roads everywhere. Get a Sunpass... I paid about $100 a month just to commute around Orlando.
A/C runs 24/7. Your windows will never be open.
electric bills were 400% higher than what I paid in Ohio, partially because of the AC
Water bill was 300% higher. Not sure why? you can dig three ft down and find water anywhere in Fl.
Rain every single day in the summer. which helps to cool it off for maybe 15 mins or so, then it gets twice as humid.
Mold growing on everything including your car.
you'll have to pay someone to power wash your home to get the green mold off. It's too hot outside to do it yourself.
Buy a house with a small yard, it's too hot to cut grass for hrs. Hire a landscaper, if you have a nice lawn it will need to be cut twice a week. There is no soil, just sand. it's almost impossible to have a nice lawn in Florida. The "nice" grass in Fl is what we Ohioans call "crab grass". We kill crab grass.

fleas, sugar ants, and palmetto bugs (**** roaches) everywhere. ALL year round...
Fire ants are everywhere, Don't walk barefoot on your lawn.
Too hot to cook indoors, to hot to cook outdoors.
any opened food must go straight into the fridge or into a sealed container, or a big ant invasion will take place while you sleep.
Learn spanish & carry a gun.
You'll never want to cook comfort foods like a pot of chilli, or anything hot for that matter. It's too hot to, plus you lose that change of season chill in the air where you want to sit around a fire & sip on hot chocolate. Instead you be sitting in front of a fan eating salad & drinking Iced tea.

These are my reasons for leaving Florida.

After 30 years in Ohio I moved to Fl without doing any research (yes, my fault) I experienced to above^^^ and Now I'm happy to back up north to enjoy the weather & change of seasons.

Good luck, we all like different things.
You hit the nail on the head with that post. That's pretty much the way we found it to be. We're very happy to be experiencing everything "northern" again.

Old 10-13-2014, 07:18 PM

732 posts, read 4,158,065 times
Sounds like alot of people in this thread are just out of shape complaining about not being able to go outside. I was reaming the thought... why did you move to Florida in the first place? I've lived here for almost 23 years. I've lived in the slums of Sanford and the better parts of altamonte springs, and wekiva springs and the most crime Ive ever experienced was my bikes getting stolen from my porch. As stated previously you wont run into much crime unless you go looking for it. Hey guess what? I've traveled the US being in the military and returned to Florida. Hard to find a better place. Some people are just really picky, probably the pale unfriendly middle aged people you see that never leave the house but once a week.

Go visit every other State/City forum and you'll find the same threads. Different states similiar problems.

Last edited by Fnix; 10-13-2014 at 07:32 PM..

Old 10-14-2014, 04:38 AM

35,704 posts, read 21,063,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fnix View Post
Sounds like alot of people in this thread are just out of shape complaining about not being able to go outside. I was reaming the thought... why did you move to Florida in the first place? I've lived here for almost 23 years. I've lived in the slums of Sanford and the better parts of altamonte springs, and wekiva springs and the most crime Ive ever experienced was my bikes getting stolen from my porch. As stated previously you wont run into much crime unless you go looking for it. Hey guess what? I've traveled the US being in the military and returned to Florida. Hard to find a better place. Some people are just really picky, probably the pale unfriendly middle aged people you see that never leave the house but once a week.

Go visit every other State/City forum and you'll find the same threads. Different states similiar problems.
middle aged or older? I love my home state, but many leave because they are NO from here to start with. the families and connections are "back home" adios!

Old 10-14-2014, 08:32 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,054,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fnix View Post
Some people will never understand that their problems will follow them wherever they move to try to get away from them.

Old 10-14-2014, 09:07 AM

12,135 posts, read 16,138,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ComSense View Post
LOL, Winter Garden is not the same anymore either.
Dude... no place is the same as it was. Things change. People come and go. That's life.

Old 10-14-2014, 03:22 PM

623 posts, read 966,332 times
We live in Jupiter Fl and couldn't be happier

Old 10-14-2014, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken E View Post
You hit the nail on the head with that post. That's pretty much the way we found it to be. We're very happy to be experiencing everything "northern" again.
Why you still posting in the FL forums? wasn't not your cup of tea? well it can't be everyone's paradise!
I love Florida and will never leave it. I prefer Miami but will do with Orlando. My home state, people who come from elsewhere who are not flexible to drastic change will never make it here. And that business of talking Spanish and carrying a gun, we are not #1 in that category.

Old 10-14-2014, 06:24 PM

2,360 posts, read 5,248,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinytrump View Post
Why you still posting in the FL forums? wasn't not your cup of tea? well it can't be everyone's paradise!
I love Florida and will never leave it. I prefer Miami but will do with Orlando. My home state, people who come from elsewhere who are not flexible to drastic change will never make it here. And that business of talking Spanish and carrying a gun, we are not #1 in that category.
I still have property in Florida and go down a couple times a year. Beautiful place to spend short amounts of time but not a place that we want to live.

Old 10-14-2014, 09:48 PM

28 posts, read 29,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
It's more like the area has many well-documented issues which include lower salaries, a weak job market (unless an IT professional or in a skilled healthcare occupation), a generally less sophisticated population than other major cities, subsequent fewer amenities in terms of dining and shopping, an environment not noted for making friends easily (tract housing where many come and go in their cars via their garages), brutal seven month summers, high crime in many areas (Orlando is among the most dangerous cities in terms of violent crimes) and a cost of living not the bargain it appeared to be for many. To suggest there's something wrong with those who don't acclimate is ridiculous given the universal belief beyond your own views that Orlando is not exactly among the "most livable" cities in the US.
I've only been here a short time (going to college not too far from Orlando) but this pretty much hits the nail on the head. I'm looking forward to getting back up north soon.

That's not to say Orlando itself doesn't have nice areas around it (I find Winter Park and Windermere to be some of the nicer places I've ever been too) but all in all I found the state of Florida, particularly central Florida, to be underwhelming.

Old 10-15-2014, 04:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaCool View Post
I've only been here a short time (going to college not too far from Orlando) but this pretty much hits the nail on the head. I'm looking forward to getting back up north soon.

That's not to say Orlando itself doesn't have nice areas around it (I find Winter Park and Windermere to be some of the nicer places I've ever been too) but all in all I found the state of Florida, particularly central Florida, to be underwhelming.
That's why God created the world all different. The rain an snow and things that we can only see in the Discovery channel etc. make this a huge planet. I will never live again in the north- and was raised in PA, NJ so had my fill of it- Be happy you have the option go live where it suits you, as the US is vast -but as all places have their beauty- all places have their own mess. Enjoy your cold and darkness, tight spaces and brown decor. You come to visit and don't want to stay, but that causes 1/2 the havoc we have in our state.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando