Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2014, 09:20 AM

433 posts, read 1,012,377 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spring Hillian View Post
I would bet that you dont have too many friends, if any at all. Your "I am better than you" attitude would be a good reason for it.
Just trying to better explain to the op the reason why many people say that the worst thing about florida is the people. My bad.

You see people in florida can be disgusting at the core but as long as they are polite about it and say good morning then in their minds they are still good people. Its ignorance combined with superficial charm and self rightousness. Thats why so many complain about the people here. Me? Im over it but since op is asking i thought id fill them in on the details.

Like i say its not everyone but the social culture here has a way of sucking people into it over time.

Last edited by ^Eagle^; 08-09-2014 at 09:29 AM..

Old 08-09-2014, 09:32 AM

2,580 posts, read 3,751,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ^Eagle^ View Post
Just trying to better explain to the op the reason why many people say that the worst thing about florida is the people. My bad.

You see people in florida can be disgusting at the core but as long as they are polite about it and say good morning then in their minds they are still good people. Its ignorance combined with superficial charm and self rightousness. Thats why so many complain about the people here. Me? Im over it but since op is asking i thought id fill them in on the details.

Like i say its not everyone but the social culture here has a way of sucking people into it over time.
Do you think your opinion applies more to one age group over another, or are there enough examples in all age groups? Some of your comments ring true with people in their 20s and maybe early 30s, but do you think people older than that act that way?

Old 08-09-2014, 09:51 AM

No i dont. The older you are the less of a factor.

And just so people understand the whole truth let me just say this:

I have really enjoyed florida and had fun with a lot of people here. I moved to daytona and had fun in the community apartment complex and had a circle of people to go out with. People would hang out together there. Then my roomates moved away. I then moved to orlando where i met new friends and dated a lot. Ended up moving in with a bunch of friends i met for a few years had a girlfriend from georgia ect. Ive had some luck with meetup.com too. The workplace is a social place in florida too so as long as u play the game and conform to the culture you can make friends there too.

Lots of temporary people who ive shared fun times with. So this is not a hard place to meet people but the things im talking about that are negative are definitely things you will notice and are a pattern of what life will be like here. Many people end up fed up with it after a while. They realize life doesnt have to be like this. For the natives its all they know so they dont notice it. If your not from here though and come from places where there are better values (the true south, midwest, asian culture, northeast) then you will probably grow tired of the culture here and wonder why you continue to put up with it.

Old 08-09-2014, 04:19 PM

4,584 posts, read 4,198,651 times
Quote:
Civility is one of the things that is taught by parents. Just like proper manners. Your knowledge of average new yorker is limited.
Your knowledge of civility in GA/SC/NC is obviously limited as anyone with a pulse can see that as a general rule, people in Orlando are not as civil as those in the aforementioned states. Southern hospitality does not apply in Orlando.

Old 08-09-2014, 05:26 PM

12,135 posts, read 16,138,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leftee View Post
Your knowledge of civility in GA/SC/NC is obviously limited as anyone with a pulse can see that as a general rule, people in Orlando are not as civil as those in the aforementioned states. Southern hospitality does not apply in Orlando.
I agree. Orlando has lost its civility a while ago. Outside of Orlando is a bit better. The further you go away from any city you will find a change in the character of the people. Most people start life being civil but that trait gets watered down when people live in cities.

Old 08-09-2014, 07:16 PM

Quote:
I agree. Orlando has lost its civility a while ago. Outside of Orlando is a bit better. The further you go away from any city you will find a change in the character of the people. Most people start life being civil but that trait gets watered down when people live in cities.
Nah sorry but i dont think it just comes down to it being a city. Theres somethin else goin on here that makes people worse and it has to do with the culture here. I find it way easier to meet people from other places.

Last edited by ^Eagle^; 08-09-2014 at 08:31 PM..

Old 08-10-2014, 06:24 AM

12,135 posts, read 16,138,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ^Eagle^ View Post
Nah sorry but i dont think it just comes down to it being a city. Theres somethin else goin on here that makes people worse and it has to do with the culture here. I find it way easier to meet people from other places.
Something going here that does not happen anywhere else, eh?

Culture?? Explain please.

Most everyone you will meet here is from some place else. Sure there are a lot of people born here but their parents are for the most part from somewhere else.

Old 08-10-2014, 06:52 AM

35,704 posts, read 21,063,743 times
why move out? why you move in to start? most people are not from here come here to make it their own and find out they can't. many things that make it undesirable for the middle aged group is salary- lack of jobs- transportation and community. This elder generation has put a big stop to moving forward. Many on fixed SS income has not allowed the growth we need, and those with money hate giving any of it away for future generations. The influx of immigrants can be taken in both ways--- Cuba made the thriving city of Miami... immigrants make the state produce what it has-- veggies, fruits and TOURISM. with out the low paid immigrants workers- be NO Florida. The govt tries to bring business here with low tax benefits etc to extend that welcome and boy do people scream! I think the question should be-- what do you want Florida to be for you? I would say a good portion would say a peaceful retirement vacation home
till I die. The growing infrastructure has never come from these folks. they do buy, spend little and never invest in the community. Investors run Florida, they are cold. money making machines churning and tilling the state as a farmers does soil. People keep moving because everything keeps going up except salary. ONLY other institution thriving here is the medical field.. the rest of the state,the money maker is drugs.

http://therealdeal.com/miami/blog/20...p-real-estate/

Old 08-10-2014, 10:43 AM

782 posts, read 1,369,281 times
Hmm…I'm not sure what relevancy a blog about real estate in Miami has to do in a discussion about life in Orlando and its suburbs. That's like saying the problems in NYC have relevancy to life in the Amish parts of Lancaster, PA (which are geographically closer than Miami and Orlando!).

Old 08-10-2014, 11:00 AM

17,815 posts, read 25,642,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ComSense View Post
^^^ its got a LONG way to go before it compares to here though. plus the people that move there are much happier people. believe me, FL attracts different folks than up there, and i'll leave it at that.
It sure does. And you're spot on about FL attracting "different folks".

Quote:
Your assumption that the people here or there are inherently different is ridiculous. You may perceive it that way but I think its just another way for your head to deal with the fact that you are here and there is so so much better. Keeps your dream alive. It didnt take too long for FL to get overcrowded. It will take less time to crowd up the carolina's. People are still bailing out of the NYC metro area. They are being priced out as their incomes cannot keep up with the financial demands put on them.
You couldn't be more wrong. The problem with FL vs other southern states is that if you come down to NC or GA with a "New York attitude" they will put you in check.

FL is so overrun with transplants and so transient that the natives have long been outnumbered. Rude behavior has become the norm.

I remember having a discussion with a waitress in FL after coming back from a road trip through GA, SC, and NC and telling her much friendlier people were how you heard "excuse me" in the stores.

Her reply(she hadn't been out of FL in years) was "well I'm from NJ originally so I'm used to rude"...LOL.

Quote:
Originally Posted by leftee View Post
Really ? So your assumption is that people are the same anywhere you live ? Guess that makes the community of maximum security prisoners at San Quentin the same as the community of missionaries that worked with Mother Teresa ... Comsense is right; there is a definite increase in civility in NC/SC/GA. C'mon up and see for yourself ..
There is definitely a noticeable difference when you go out to stores and restaurants and interact with people in GA/SC/NC. It was a real eye opener in fact.

And again I think the main factor is the natives aren't going to allow transplants to move there and have an "up north" attitude. You want to live here fine, but you're going as the saying goes "when in Rome, do as the Romans do"....FL(with the exception of the Panhandle) has been overtaken by people who don't mesh and think they're NY/NJ ways are acceptable, and in fact they have become the norm.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando