Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-12-2014, 01:51 PM

12,135 posts, read 16,128,302 times

Advertisements

I really dont know what people expect when they move to FL.
The best thing for somebody relocating to FL is be yourself. Be real.
Dont be a snob who thinks they have it all now that they are in FL.
Dont ever think you are better than anyone else.
Learn to accept people from different backgrounds.

Most people in FL are from somewhere else. Respect the differences.

Old 08-12-2014, 02:21 PM

4,584 posts, read 4,196,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spring Hillian View Post
I really dont know what people expect when they move to FL.
The best thing for somebody relocating to FL is be yourself. Be real.
Dont be a snob who thinks they have it all now that they are in FL.
Dont ever think you are better than anyone else.
Learn to accept people from different backgrounds.

Most people in FL are from somewhere else. Respect the differences.
Great advice - too bad lots of people don't adhere to it.

Old 08-12-2014, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leftee View Post
Great advice - too bad lots of people don't adhere to it.
I agree leftee. Ive seen people come down strutting like a peacock. You cant tell them anything, they know it all. They pump up their value thinking someone is going to buy in. After a very short time they realize that they have no friends, cant keep a job, and wonder what is wrong with everybody else here.
Those are the ones I see who leave after a short time.

Old 08-12-2014, 04:24 PM

8,963 posts, read 8,919,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spring Hillian View Post
Funny you should mention it. Yes. Ive met several NC and SC people here.

You may have met several. Come to think of it I may have met one or two. But it doesnt compare to the MANY folks in NC I've met that moved there from FL. Trust me, its not even close. I know more FAMILY MEMBERS that have moved from FL to NC than I've met ppl from NC here in FL. LOL!

Its cool Spring Hillian, I can agree with you on most things. Dont sweat it. I make good money here, a lot of my family is here, etc. I dont even really complain that much about the heat. After living in Asheville, and being born in FL, my biggest complaint is the changes that have gone on, and yes that definitely includes people. I dont think FL always attracts the highest caliber of ppl (ppl hiding out, on the run, a bad/criminal past, rude and aggressive ppl from other areas, etc).

Last edited by StreetSmarts; 08-12-2014 at 04:33 PM..

Old 08-12-2014, 05:02 PM

782 posts, read 1,368,743 times
For the 2012 U.S. Census ACS survey, Floridians moving to North Carolina totaled 26,365 and North Carolinians moving to Florida totaled 23,133. So yes, there's a difference of about 3,000 people more going to North Carolina from Florida than the reverse. When you compare it based on total state population, however, a greater percentage of North Carolinians (0.23% of the state's total population) left for Florida, but a lesser percentage of Floridians (0.13% of the state's total population) left for North Carolina.

Florida has a wonderful history of attracting the offbeat folks, though. My favorite living ones are folks like Wayne Brady, Dave Barry, and Johnny Depp, but some of the people like Edward Bok, Edward Leedskalnin, Aaron Fechter, and people who spent extended time even if they didn't become permanent residents (Fitzgerald, Edison, Ford, Flagler, etc.) really add to the idea that if you march to the beat of a different drummer, you can live as an individual down here and not have to conform. And yeah, some of the people who don't want to be conformists are on the more negative side of the scale, but it's great to have a place for out-of-the-box thinkers to settle.

Old 08-12-2014, 05:14 PM

8,963 posts, read 8,919,924 times
I'm glad you like it here EditorJul... I think its ok. I just like the people and the scenery etc (better quality of life) of the Carolina's.

Old 08-12-2014, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComSense View Post
You may have met several. Come to think of it I may have met one or two. But it doesnt compare to the MANY folks in NC I've met that moved there from FL. Trust me, its not even close. I know more FAMILY MEMBERS that have moved from FL to NC than I've met ppl from NC here in FL. LOL!

Its cool Spring Hillian, I can agree with you on most things. Dont sweat it. I make good money here, a lot of my family is here, etc. I dont even really complain that much about the heat. After living in Asheville, and being born in FL, my biggest complaint is the changes that have gone on, and yes that definitely includes people. I dont think FL always attracts the highest caliber of ppl (ppl hiding out, on the run, a bad/criminal past, rude and aggressive ppl from other areas, etc).
Florida has grown by the milllions. From 1990-2000 the population grew 23.5%. Thats a lot of people.
Those people are from all over the world. They all dont fit in a neat little classification. It is called 'diversity'. Maybe you are originally from a small town where everyone knew each other and their families. Went to school with the same kids from first grade to graduating high school. That is a good eason to be afraid of diversity. Does the big city put a scare in you.? The world is a very diverse place with people with different ethics, morals, desires, needs and goals. If you really believe that certain array of people chose where they want to live based on some formula or other contrivance, that is fine. Go on with that train of thought.

Why in the world would people hiding out, on the run, criminals want to be in Fl?
What would the big draw be? Victims? You do know that we have sheriffs in every county, the FDLE, State Troopers and other law enforcement agencies that seek out those with warrants. If you get stopped for littering your name, DOB.,etc is run through NCIC. If you come up having a warrant from anywhere you're in cuffs

If I were "on the run" I am sure I'd go to Idaho or someplace where the odds of running into law enforcement would be less potential. Hiding out? You've watch too many cops and robber shows.
Criminal past? Well, Al Capone did reside here. Perhaps you cant handle diversity and are unable to deal with anyone not in your sphere.

Rude and aggressive people? I asked you and another poster to describe this alleged "rudeness'. Of course I got no response.

If you really believe that certain array of people chose where they want to live based on some formula, reputation or other contrivance, that is fine. Go on with that train of thought.

Believing that NC is going to remain the same over the next coming decade or so is a mistake.
The more inbound migration from everywhere else the more it changes to suit the needs and desires of the new residents.

Old 08-12-2014, 10:24 PM

32 posts, read 47,456 times
We moved into Dr. Phillips last month from NJ and love it. We were lucky and bought a small vacation condo 2 years ago at a great price. As for the people here I've experienced good and bad just like the cities in NJ. However here the drivers are worse, and there are very dangerous intersections and dangerous turning lanes that would never be allowed in NJ.

I guess I'm still in a honeymoon phase, but I've been on these boards the past few years and I've read the good with the bad. We moved here with our 4 year old and put him in a private school in Windermere. The money I've saved on property taxes pays for it. We are close to everything and there is so much to do.

I moved out of NJ for all the same reasons you want to move out of Ohio.

We are in our 40s and didn't have any friends in NJ. We don't expect to have any close friends here, if we end up making some then great, if not that's fine too. We are friendly with neighbors and people at the YMCA and in the community.

We have our own business and have greatly reduced our expenditures. The move was planned carefully. My advice to you is do it, just make sure you have a great area picked out and that you have a job or some money saved to get you started.

Personally I really like gated condo living in Doctor Phillips. Some people on this board say the gates are useless, but for me it is a necessity, especially in Orlando. It provides another level of security as long as it's a good gate and good system. I heard there are gates that let in several cars at a time, they are useless. Guarded gates are the best but your HOA fees will be very high.

I read about the crime every day and map where it is and when and why it happens. Mostly it seems to be domestic, drug or gang related, robberies, or planned home invasions. I also keep a check on any registered sex offenders in the area, they can be easily found online. Crime can happen anywhere, so we take precautions that we would normally take in any city. When it happens in DP or Windermere like it did this year it's big news, because this area usually has a low murder rate. Unfortunately two police officers lost their lives this year in this area.

Anyway if you have a ton of money Isleworth, Lake Butler or Keene's Point in Windermere are really nice for houses, but you might complain about the drive back to Doctor Phillips to go to Whole Foods and soon a Trader Joes!

So why do people move out? I have no freakin idea! The only place better to me is Hawaii.

Old 08-13-2014, 12:42 AM

5 posts, read 6,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Headedforhawaii View Post
We moved into Dr. Phillips last month from NJ and love it. We were lucky and bought a small vacation condo 2 years ago at a great price. As for the people here I've experienced good and bad just like the cities in NJ. However here the drivers are worse, and there are very dangerous intersections and dangerous turning lanes that would never be allowed in NJ.

I guess I'm still in a honeymoon phase, but I've been on these boards the past few years and I've read the good with the bad. We moved here with our 4 year old and put him in a private school in Windermere. The money I've saved on property taxes pays for it. We are close to everything and there is so much to do.

I moved out of NJ for all the same reasons you want to move out of Ohio.

We are in our 40s and didn't have any friends in NJ. We don't expect to have any close friends here, if we end up making some then great, if not that's fine too. We are friendly with neighbors and people at the YMCA and in the community.

We have our own business and have greatly reduced our expenditures. The move was planned carefully. My advice to you is do it, just make sure you have a great area picked out and that you have a job or some money saved to get you started.

Personally I really like gated condo living in Doctor Phillips. Some people on this board say the gates are useless, but for me it is a necessity, especially in Orlando. It provides another level of security as long as it's a good gate and good system. I heard there are gates that let in several cars at a time, they are useless. Guarded gates are the best but your HOA fees will be very high.

I read about the crime every day and map where it is and when and why it happens. Mostly it seems to be domestic, drug or gang related, robberies, or planned home invasions. I also keep a check on any registered sex offenders in the area, they can be easily found online. Crime can happen anywhere, so we take precautions that we would normally take in any city. When it happens in DP or Windermere like it did this year it's big news, because this area usually has a low murder rate. Unfortunately two police officers lost their lives this year in this area.

Anyway if you have a ton of money Isleworth, Lake Butler or Keene's Point in Windermere are really nice for houses, but you might complain about the drive back to Doctor Phillips to go to Whole Foods and soon a Trader Joes!

So why do people move out? I have no freakin idea! The only place better to me is Hawaii.
What a great post! Big Orlando offers lots of opportunities and benefits. In other words, it is a great place to live. In respect to working it depends on what you want to do and how you plan on doing.

Old 08-13-2014, 04:47 AM

35,702 posts, read 21,054,375 times
I wonder if people in Florida are healthier? I'm saying I'm a SUN fan- and was always sick when I lived in the north as an adult. As a kid in the snow of PA Id leave in the am n return at 6 for dinner, don't NOT know how I didn't freeze in those snowball fights. Anyhow vita D is extremely important and just wondering.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando