Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-24-2007, 09:16 PM

765 posts, read 2,637,951 times

Advertisements

Yes, the weather is beautiful in Orlando at this time of year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2007, 10:40 PM

479 posts, read 1,236,855 times
I live in LA and I once went to Disney World in January, and the weather there was colder than LA usually is at that time of year. I remember the nights went below freezing, but people said it wasn't really typical weather for Orlando then.

Old 12-24-2007, 11:16 PM

4 posts, read 10,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdpop View Post
I have lived in both San Diego, California and Orlando, Florida, and it feels a lot hotter here in Orlando than, it did in San Diego.
Dude,

You are comparing a coastal city to an inland city; of course San Diego is cooler. Besides the pacific ocean is colder and not obstructed by a gulf the way Florida is.

Old 12-25-2007, 12:58 AM

1,284 posts, read 3,896,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdpop View Post
I have lived in both San Diego, California and Orlando, Florida, and it feels a lot hotter here in Orlando than, it did in San Diego.
San Diego has some of the best year-round weather ANYWHERE!!!Orlando is a freaking oven from May through early October,the rest of the year is really nice but those months with the heat and the rain and the threat of hurricanes add up to some pretty miserable months.

Old 12-25-2007, 10:31 AM

1,781 posts, read 6,963,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doom1001 View Post
San Diego has some of the best year-round weather ANYWHERE!!!Orlando is a freaking oven from May through early October,the rest of the year is really nice but those months with the heat and the rain and the threat of hurricanes add up to some pretty miserable months.

Thats all subjective some people like the change of seasons and San Diego has none, some like hot weather and warm water San Diego water is an ice box compared to Florida.

Personaly I think winter in florida is Ideal with 70`s day and 50`s at night however I like some heat on the days I like to go swimming. If it was hot for maybe 1 maybe 2 months instead of 5 that IMO would be perfect.

Old 12-25-2007, 04:20 PM

7 posts, read 33,899 times
A major complaint about Orlando is the weather. It is ideal in the winter since
the temperatures are usually a high in the 70's. However, maybe about
two or three times a year, we get a cold snap with weather in the 30's. This
does not last too long, maybe a couple of days. This is the dry season, so we often have beautiful blue, sunny skies. Now, compare this to the summer.
The weather is often rainy everyday in the afternoons with horrible lightning
and storms. We have had two lightning strikes to our house. Central FL
is known as the lightning capital of the country. The humidity is very high,
and the temperatures are usually in the high 90's. We very rarely reach
100 degrees whereas Jacksonville seems hotter in the summer and does
reach 100. However, we have many clouds which block the sun unlike Phoenix and Las Vegas in the summer. The hurricanes are a problem. One year, Orlando had three hurricanes in six weeks. This was very unusual, but it did happen. I wanted to move out west after these hurricanes. Your weather in LA probably has less extremes and comfortable temperatures, sunny skies,
and no threat of hurricanes. Can you live with these weather conditions in Orlando?
If the answer is yes, then some nice areas in the south are Windermere
(not all homes there are really pricey), Dr. Phillips, and Winter Garden is starting to build up with a new shopping center. North, Winter Park
is lovely, and further north Lake Mary is nice. Northeast is Winter Springs,
Tuscawilla is lovely, but a little isolated from alot of shops and restaurants.
The area that I expect to really grow is around the airport. UCF will have a new medical school there and some hospitals will be building in this area.
Good luck with your decision.

Old 12-25-2007, 04:34 PM

3 posts, read 6,350 times
Merry Xmas!

I'd like to thank every one for posting to this thread!

It helps A LOT to have a forum like this when people are just trying
to find out more about potential relocation opportunities.

From looking at the L.A. & Orlando forums, I would say
that people are generally negative towards criticism (a normal thing,
I believe), but there seems to be too much emphasis on "weather"
as "the great benefit". I'd rather have a relaxing high paying job, with
crappy "weather", although I agree that hurricanes are a force to be reckoned
with.

At my current job, some people (including me) are working
crazy hours, to avoid L.A. traffic, and to boost their pension payout.
Since I don't have a bad commute (very lucky) and I'm ineligible
for the sweet pension, I don't feel that the stress & pressure is worth
living in the L.A. area. Although I believe that some L.A. workers certainly
work very hard and are compensated fairly, I sometimes feel very over-
worked.

I guess I'm just wondering if someone would agree with the
statement: working in Orlando is less stressful and more laid back than
working in L.A? Just a thought...

Old 12-25-2007, 08:48 PM

1,573 posts, read 4,063,393 times
Orlando can be pretty stressful. It's probably worse if you have a lower-end job. I wouldn't call the area slow paced. It isn't a big faced paced city and there are a mixture of different peoples here with different values.

The humidity in the summer is pretty stressful- unless you thrive in sauna-like conditions you'll find the weather annoying, especially in the heat of the day between 1 - 4 pm (I do not recommend wearing conventional knit cotton clothing if you can avoid it, technical fabrics feel alot better in Florida. Also, sunscreen is necessary for most skin types if you spend any time outside and don't want to raise a crop of melanomas by the time you are 40). Also, if you carry around extra weight the summers are more difficult.

Traffic isn't great, it's not as bad as LA but the streets, especially in the suburbs, are poorly planned and inadequate for rush-hour traffic. Traffic and water are going to be limiting factors on how much the area can grow.

Old 12-26-2007, 06:43 AM

56 posts, read 314,189 times
I just moved from L.A to Orlando a month ago. I love it in Orlando. Hardly any traffic (not compared to L.A anyway), cheaper apartments, everything is actually within a do-able driving distance/driving time, it doesn't take forever to get somewhere relatively close. One 'downside' though is the traffic lights. It takes forever for them to turn green. At least that's what I noticed.

I'm not sure where in L.A you live but what I miss most is the neighborhood feel. I lived close to Highland Ave and the Hancock Park area near Hollywood. I used to stroll around the neighborhood just walking. I miss that in Orlando. But that would pretty much be the only thing.

Neighborhood wise I myself love the Dr Phillips and Williamsburg areas.

And one thing about Orlando...when it rains you car will actually come out relatively clean. In L.A whenever it rained my car was dirtier after the rain then it was before.

Old 12-26-2007, 06:43 AM

207 posts, read 926,202 times
IMHO Florida is one of the best places to live in the U.S., next to Hawaii & California. I've been in Florida for over 3 years and in Orlando for about 3 months and loving it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando