Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2007, 06:17 PM

3 posts, read 6,351 times

Advertisements

I've been reading many of the posts on this forum regarding
relocating to Orlando. In general, most seem quite negative.

I currently live in L.A. (wealthy part...but renting a crappy 2-bdrm apt), but am considering accepting a job offer in Orlando. Again based on all
of the negative feedback, on this forum, I am finding it very difficult to decide. Anyone else on this forum move from L.A. to Orlando?

I'm originally from Boston, and have lived in the SF Bay area & L.A. for
about > 5 years. My line of work is very, very, specialized but my job security is not great here in L.A. I've spent some time in Jacksonville
(for work) & only visited Orlando a couple of times. Any advice on comparing Jacksonville to Orlando? Of course, I realize that I should visit for a week or
two before making up my mind to relocate, however this is not an option in my case.

One thing that Orlando seems to have in common with L.A. is crime & lack
of good high wage jobs. L.A. has problems with many families struggling to make ends meet & then a small portion of extremely well-off people who
have a great time living it up! In my situation I would be moving to Orlando with a high paying, interesting job, with my potential new-employer
providing relocation assistance. I'm not implying that I will be or am very wealthy, I'm merely stating that the offer is well above the median per capita salary.
Money isn't everything, but being able to save more & possibly buy a house in the distant future are appealing to me, given the hyper-expensive
real estate market in L.A. & cost-of-living.

Again, any thoughts about moving from L.A. to Orlando, will be appreciated.

Please, try not to include angry racist comments (since I've seen many on this forum). Thanks,
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2007, 10:52 PM

40 posts, read 111,202 times
I think that overall, it'd be a smart move. Jobs are plentiful in central Florida, particularly the booming Orlando metro area, and finding one in your field that pays well might take some work, but it's definitely possible.

I always recommend the suburbs of Altamonte Springs and Maitland for houses, but inside the city limits of Orlando lie the best apartment options, in my opinion. For something cheap and nice, I'd recommend buying near one of the area's many colleges around the University Blvd and Alfaya Trail area, if you don't mind living amongst hundreds of college students.

As far as entertainment and nightlife, Orlando actually poses some sort of competition with LA. I'm sure you've heard of all our theme parks and such -- and the area's economy is based on tourism, so there's usually something to do at every turn, especially in Orlando. And Tampa is right down I-4 to handle your sports needs.

The only stark difference from Los Angeles climate wise is the sweat and hurricanes. Note that there is a lack of seasonal change in Florida from the Orlando area southward, so expect 70s and 80s as the high year round, mind a few 90s in the summertime.

I can't offer any comparison to the Jacksonville area, because though I've lived in Orlando, I've only passed through Jacksonville a few times.

The thing that justifies your move most is that if you play your cards right, living in Orlando could be three times cheaper than your life in LA.

Old 12-23-2007, 05:52 AM

15 posts, read 59,609 times
Default Move to Orlando you will love it!!

We moved to Orlando 14 years ago from L.A. and never looked back it's great here and we get some great changes of weather!

Brenda

Old 12-24-2007, 11:34 AM

105 posts, read 550,769 times
I just have that hunch that you would hate Jacksonville. Very 'southern' while Orlando is more of a melting pot(and more progressive) so Orlando probably is more of a fit. Also if you like beaches, they are not that far, cocoa beach is probably 45 minutes from east orlando/waterford(which has some nice neighborhoods) and you have the gulf beaches 2 hours west. If you can't stand humidity, that will be something you would have to get used to if you make the move.

Old 12-24-2007, 03:06 PM

3 posts, read 6,351 times
I didn't hate Jacksonville at all, but it seemed to be 'southern' as you
mentioned. "Wafflehouse" was a new experience.
Downtown Jax seemed O.K. although once you get away
from the Landing things get a bit sketchy (i.e. boarded up buildings,
strange street people, etc.). The other side of the river, opposite
the Landing had nothing going on, although a few miles away there was
a nicer part (don't recall the name though...), with places to eat, coffee
shops, etc. One bartender, at the Landing, was telling me about all
the dead human bodies found floating in the river...kind of scary.

Random Bonus: I once saw a dozen dolphins swim past the Jax Landing
one weekend, pretty cool.

Jax downtown was small, with really not a whole lot going on. Is downtown
Orlando similar? I remember last time I was in Orlando there seemed to be
a lot of college kids around the clubs/bars, a few bars for the older crowd, but
I didn't really see much else. On this forum and others I've read about Winter Park
having some cool places/things to do...any thoughts? I've never been to Winter Park.

Anyone have a few neighborhoods to recommend, on the south/west side of Orlando?
I heard that Metrowest & OBT are to be avoided, but it seems most areas around
Windermere are pretty expensive. What about Dr Phillips or Belle Isle or other areas nearby?

As for humidity, the Boston area gets almost as bad as Orlando but only a few months
during the summer. Orlando seems to have a constant high humidity with temps. in
80s-90s year round (with almost daily light rain showers..."just to cool things off").

As for crime/street people, San Francisco was pretty bad with all the homeless people
wandering the streets, while L.A. has been fair although in Long Bch a crazy guy threatened
me with an imaginary knife, while I was filling up at a gas station. Does
Orlando have bad/random homeless problem as well? Where are the safe areas to
walk around (other than "The Mouse" sponsored "parks")? Even though San Francisco,
had a bad homeless problem, it was still a great city to walk-about. Any areas come
even close in Orlando? I suppose the FL beach areas might be nice. Is parking by the
beach insane year-round? Here in Socal, parking by the beaches can be very, very,
difficult if you go on the weekends. I don't mind parking a mile a away, but friends of
mine have had very frustrating experiences with trying to find parking (WAY too many people).
Does "The Mouse" create insane traffic during the summer/winter? Which areas do the locals avoid,
as being "too touristy"?

Last edited by d5001; 12-24-2007 at 03:07 PM.. Reason: easier to read

Old 12-24-2007, 05:25 PM

1,781 posts, read 6,963,479 times
I don`t know when you were in Orlando last but they are building up downtown alot, also the wall street area right off orange ave has about 7 or 8 more classy type night life hangout spots.

Thorton park and around lake eola have some nice dinning and nightlife spots. Winter park on park ave is really nice and vibrant also more upscale and classy.

Orlando's nightlife is spread all over the metro area you just have to go and look to see what one is for you.

Also orlando is not in the 80`s and 90`s all year with high humidity. Summer in orlando is hot and humid yes 90`s are common however nov-feb average is 70`s with low humidity in the day and 50`s at night. Some times it can be colder or warmer then that but that is average.

Also winter has hardly any rain at all.

look here and you can see the daily news and weather for orlando.....

http://www.wftv.com/index.html

Last edited by Alphaman; 12-24-2007 at 05:27 PM.. Reason: added link

Old 12-24-2007, 05:36 PM

479 posts, read 1,236,955 times
I think overall the positives outweigh the negatives in your case. A great job and relocation assistance are great perks. Also, being originally from Boston you are used to the east coast and will be somewhat closer to family. I say go for it! I also think that CA is going into a recession now. My husband's law firm in LA is really hurting now from lack of business.

Old 12-24-2007, 08:24 PM

1,573 posts, read 4,063,635 times
Orlando's heat index is higher than California's; the humidity is unreal and is probably one of the most humid areas in the US next to New Orleans or parts of Texas. Orlando heat index in the summer can reach 105 degrees almost every day. If it is sunny add another 5-7 degrees on top of that heat index. Orlando proper is also an urban heat island due to all the asphalt, and is a couple degrees hotter than the rural areas surrounding it- plants that normally only grow in Miami or the Carribean will grow year round in parts of Orlando.

Old 12-24-2007, 09:04 PM

765 posts, read 2,638,144 times
I have lived in both San Diego, California and Orlando, Florida, and it feels a lot hotter here in Orlando than, it did in San Diego.

Old 12-24-2007, 09:08 PM

1,781 posts, read 6,963,479 times
No one said it wasn`t hot in the summer. I said that it`s not 90 degrees all year with high humidity, that is a gross exaggeration. It is 58 degrees right now in Orlando a far cry from 90.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando