Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2014, 06:10 PM

4 posts, read 5,233 times

Advertisements

Highly Agree!! Kids are only in elementary school and feel like they are just not getting anything out of school. It feels like my girls are years ahead of there class. Nothing challenging for my girls is not going to work...time to think about home schooling.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2014, 07:46 PM

26,585 posts, read 61,825,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodlife407 View Post
Love the help you gave. I've recently moved to Orlando and love it here but frankly your B.S attitude towards people that are just wanting information on how things work around here is proven that the attitude generally from many people around here just suck!! The school systems down here are far behind the rest of the nation...I know I've been on every side...California, Missouri, Chicago, and now Florida.

I know you don't want to hear about where other people came from, but that's part of life. Hearing where other people came from is common because a large percentage of people aren't from here, so it makes sense for people to talk about there background. If you don't like get the hell out of dodge!!
I'm from the Northeast originally. I've been here for 10 years. I don't feel the need to tell everyone I meet about how bad it is here or how things are done elsewhere. It seems that you are the unhappy one, so I'm not sure why you are suggesting I should be the one to leave.

By the way, the schools here are in the middle of the pack nationally these days.

Old 08-23-2014, 12:36 AM

24,325 posts, read 26,719,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodlife407 View Post
Love the help you gave. I've recently moved to Orlando and love it here but frankly your B.S attitude towards people that are just wanting information on how things work around here is proven that the attitude generally from many people around here just suck!! The school systems down here are far behind the rest of the nation...I know I've been on every side...California, Missouri, Chicago, and now Florida.

I know you don't want to hear about where other people came from, but that's part of life. Hearing where other people came from is common because a large percentage of people aren't from here, so it makes sense for people to talk about there background. If you don't like get the hell out of dodge!!
I've been in public and private school in Alaska, Washington, California, Florida and Australia and I thought the school system was great in Orlando, specifically Dr. Phillips. I guess to each their own...

Old 08-23-2014, 05:36 AM

2,580 posts, read 3,720,392 times
Warning: Political Rant

Florida is ground zero for education reform. If you come to Florida and find that you don't like the school system, then you need to write the governors in your home state and tell them to quit consulting with Jeb Bush's organization for education advice. What you don't like about Florida will be coming to a school near your old friends and their kids.
------------------------------------------

With the Common Core State Standards being adopted in around 45 states, things will start to be the same pretty much anywhere in the country. Despite any changes you heard about on the news, what is now called "The Florida Standards" is still Common Core.

Old 08-25-2014, 11:00 PM

226 posts, read 807,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boy3365 View Post
With the Common Core State Standards being adopted in around 45 states, things will start to be the same pretty much anywhere in the country. Despite any changes you heard about on the news, what is now called "The Florida Standards" is still Common Core.
Having the same test standards does not mean every citizen across the country would achieve the same results.

Do SAT/ACT test results confirm that the education standard across all 50 states are the very much the same? If anything, I think it proves that there is a wide variation.

Old 08-26-2014, 05:17 AM

2,580 posts, read 3,720,392 times
Of course they will not achieve the same results. But they will be responsible for learning the same concepts.

The results can vary within the same school district that operate all of its schools the same way. Other factors such as poverty matter.

Past SAT/ACT test results are not an indication of what is to come since the current tests are pre-Common Core. I've heard that at least the SAT will eventually be aligned with Common Core.

Given what I've seen so far, test scores in states that have already tested Common Core standards have declined significantly, and I think that is by design.

Old 08-26-2014, 07:19 AM

26,851 posts, read 43,334,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sftong View Post
Having the same test standards does not mean every citizen across the country would achieve the same results.

Do SAT/ACT test results confirm that the education standard across all 50 states are the very much the same? If anything, I think it proves that there is a wide variation.
And in a nutshell provides a glimpse in my opinion as to why Florida will always lag behind....it's a not a state known for it's intellectual population and those drawn to move here of their own free will don't typically fall into that category. We all know education and academic success really starts/ends at home.

Old 08-26-2014, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boy3365 View Post
Past SAT/ACT test results are not an indication of what is to come since the current tests are pre-Common Core. I've heard that at least the SAT will eventually be aligned with Common Core.

Given what I've seen so far, test scores in states that have already tested Common Core standards have declined significantly, and I think that is by design.
I did not realize SAT is going to align with Common Core. That's news.

But again, if there is any indication, I am very concerned with the public elementary schools in Orlando. I have emailed 4 schools principal/assistants/clerk in Winter Garden/Wintermere area, all rated 9 or 10 by GreatSchools. Only Windermere elementary is proactive replying my info request within 1 hour or less and involve her staff for follow up, be it In-or-Our of school year. EVERY time.

Others just completely ignore. If they are tooo busy/lazy to reply within 1 day, when come to 3rd day, forget about the request 3 days ago. That either means these 10-rated best schools are way under-staff, or lazy, or ignorant.

What I am trying to say, ATTITUDE is critical. If a public school principal and staff are ignorant or for whatever reason not welcoming new students in an effective way, and repeatedly ignorant, that is a big red flag. You can have the same test standards all right, but then, if schools principal/staff are not pushing the standards, then the end results is my kids are not getting the full education to compete for world University 12 years later.

Old 08-26-2014, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
We all know education and academic success really starts/ends at home.
Fully agree.

But as both working parents, we still need the school to drive the education, and we would complement and push at home.

If the schools are not pushing, that means the full burden on both working parents, and that means we have to push kids to study like 2 hrs every day at home instead of just 1 hr, which is the time we do not have.

Old 08-26-2014, 10:46 AM

995 posts, read 1,685,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sftong View Post
I did not realize SAT is going to align with Common Core. That's news.

But again, if there is any indication, I am very concerned with the public elementary schools in Orlando. I have emailed 4 schools principal/assistants/clerk in Winter Garden/Wintermere area, all rated 9 or 10 by GreatSchools. Only Windermere elementary is proactive replying my info request within 1 hour or less and involve her staff for follow up, be it In-or-Our of school year. EVERY time.

Others just completely ignore. If they are tooo busy/lazy to reply within 1 day, when come to 3rd day, forget about the request 3 days ago. That either means these 10-rated best schools are way under-staff, or lazy, or ignorant.

What I am trying to say, ATTITUDE is critical. If a public school principal and staff are ignorant or for whatever reason not welcoming new students in an effective way, and repeatedly ignorant, that is a big red flag. You can have the same test standards all right, but then, if schools principal/staff are not pushing the standards, then the end results is my kids are not getting the full education to compete for world University 12 years later.
This is the problem with public anything. Try emailing the DMV, the tax appraiser, the IRS, etc. If I email my kids private school, I get a response immediately.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando