Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2014, 03:43 PM

133 posts, read 276,076 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
What does starting pay where you live now have to do with starting pay anywhere else in the US? Starting pay for a bus driver in NYC is $20.96/hour. Starting pay for a bus driver in Columbus, OH is $14.75/hr. Starting pay for a bus driver in Orlando, FL is $10.21/hour.

Insert any job you want and you'll see that pay changes in different parts of the country.
They were simply stating their salary as a benchmark for comparison.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2014, 04:15 PM

14,813 posts, read 11,958,740 times
Quote:
Based on the LPN's I know, Arcenal has it right. The job market for RN's is good to great, for LPN's it's not good at all. I know one LPN who is currently working as a CNA as she hasn't been able to find a LPN job since she graduated.

$20 an hour is laughable at best.
My daughter, who became licensed as an LPN earlier this year, is currently working as an LPN in one of the correctional facilities in this area. She works the night shift ( 12 hour shifts) and gets $20 an hour there. So you can laugh all you want.. I guess it took her two months after she got her license to get a job.

I don't know about Orlando, but it doesn't at all look as though LPNs are being phased out in this neck of the woods. I do know most hospitals around don't hire LPNs to work on the floors, those jobs go to CNAs and RNs.

I've seen LPN's working in nursing homes, assisted living facilities, home health care, surgery centers, outpatient clinics, inpatient drug treatment facilities and doctor's offices. From what my daughter indicates, the pay in those facilities ranges from $15 to $18 per hour. Most of these places prefer at least a year's experience before they'll hire an LPN, and many of those jobs, especially in the nursing homes and ALF's may be per diem. But they are out there, at least in SW Florida. If I were the OP interested in Orlando, I'd look at the employment websites for that area, I'd imagine there are LPN jobs around there, if they're in other parts of Florida.

Thought it was interesting the last time I visited my primary doctor's office, and was informed by a new medical assistant there that LPNs were being phased out and replaced by medical assistants, who could do everything an LPN could do, and more, so were the primary employees hired by doctors offices. So I visited there again last week, found this young man no longer employed there, and replaced by, of all things, an LPN!

It may be that the LPN is more of a stepping stone to a RN license, or other healthcare profession, than it is an end in itself. It really depends on the niche on gets into, and the little details in one's life that may propel one towards going forward or may get in the way. But at least the license does allow for earning a living while one decides the future.

Old 08-24-2014, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chopchop0 View Post
It's a ridiculous number to hope for the op. Hopefully he/she did some research on their own before having to have their bubble burst by annerk
Well, based on Annerk's comments he/she obviously has no first hand knowledge on the topic.

I'd take those comments with a grain of salt.

Old 08-24-2014, 06:12 PM

26,585 posts, read 61,825,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelassie View Post
Well, based on Annerk's comments he/she obviously has no first hand knowledge on the topic.

I'd take those comments with a grain of salt.
Actually I know quite a bit about the topic. One of my oldest friends runs a home care agency and employs a number of HHA's, CNA's, LPN's, and RN's in this area.

As for Travelassie, most people would not be interested in working in a correctional facility due to the constant danger of assault.

Old 08-24-2014, 06:44 PM

16 posts, read 30,041 times
Exactly WHY I asked this question bc I knew it would differentiate used 20$ as an estimate . Thanks bye

Old 08-24-2014, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Actually I know quite a bit about the topic. One of my oldest friends runs a home care agency and employs a number of HHA's, CNA's, LPN's, and RN's in this area.

As for Travelassie, most people would not be interested in working in a correctional facility due to the constant danger of assault.
Oh, I see, having a friend in the business makes you an EXPERT in the topic, LOL. A bit like the doctor's wife who claims to know all there is to know about medicine by virtue of being married to the guy.

You're right about many people not being interested in working in a correctional facility, because they *think* they'd be in constant danger of being assaulted, but in reality, that doesn't happen. These facilities have policies in place to protect the safety of the medical personnel caring, for the inmates, too many to mention on a forum, for sure. And the personnel is trained in steps (mostly common sense) to keep themselves safe. While I can't say that it's impossible for something to happen in a correctional facility, those who actually work in correctional facilities say they don't believe they're in danger there any more than being in a general population. But working in corrections does require a mindset, and a thick skin, and being aware of one's surroundings, so it isn't for everyone.

Now you can tell us about your expertise are in Correctional Nursing.

Old 08-24-2014, 09:09 PM

12,017 posts, read 14,226,696 times
Quote:
Oh, I see, having a friend in the business makes you an EXPERT in the topic, LOL. A bit like the doctor's wife who claims to know all there is to know about medicine by virtue of being married to the guy.

You're right about many people not being interested in working in a correctional facility, because they *think* they'd be in constant danger of being assaulted, but in reality, that doesn't happen. These facilities have policies in place to protect the safety of the medical personnel caring, for the inmates, too many to mention on a forum, for sure. And the personnel is trained in steps (mostly common sense) to keep themselves safe. While I can't say that it's impossible for something to happen in a correctional facility, those who actually work in correctional facilities say they don't believe they're in danger there any more than being in a general population. But working in corrections does require a mindset, and a thick skin, and being aware of one's surroundings, so it isn't for everyone.

Annerk brings up a good point. The pay is sometimes good for correctional jobs because of that very fear.

Old 08-25-2014, 08:31 AM

Quote:

Hopefully she'll never have to deal with an HIV or Hep positive inmate spitting in her eyes. Assault comes in many forms.

Old 08-25-2014, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Hopefully she'll never have to deal with an HIV or Hep positive inmate spitting in her eyes. Assault comes in many forms.
The folks there have the advantage of knowing first hand which of the inmates are HIV or HepB/HepC positive, and again, can take precautions- including distance from the inmates, close attention from the CO's, in addition to the universal precautions required for all medical personnel. She doesn't work in the intake portion of the facility, so the health status of the inmates she deals with is known for the most part. Those that might try something like that are dealt with harshly, including loss of any privileges or comforts not just for them but for their entire cell block, time added to their sentences, so there's a lot of peer pressure among the inmates to cooperate with the program there. Any indication that an inmate will act out any hostility that could present a danger to the healthcare personnel- or even just name-calling or verbal hostility to the personnel can result in denial of medical services and they know this, so they're more likely not to do anything like that. They aren't dealing with Hannibal Lector, although I'm sure that's the image conjured up by those who believe the correctional system is too dangerous a place for any healthcare professional to work.

As my daughter points out, one can also be bitten, spit on or otherwise attacked by dementia patients in a nursing home, but the personnel does not have the options of just walking away and leaving such patients and refusing care to them. So they don't generally have the options of keeping their distance from such patients, because someone has to deal with them.

Medical personnel working in emergency rooms are considered in more danger from unknown risks of contagious or infectious diseases, or even assaults by people who come in off the streets. They don't have the protections offered to those working in correctional facilities, and they also have no idea who they may be dealing with.

Old 08-25-2014, 12:23 PM

Keep living your fantasies. I have friends who work in the correctional system who have expressed very opposing views on personal safety.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando