Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2014, 09:06 PM

16 posts, read 16,312 times

Advertisements

Hello im new to this forum, but to be honest have always used it to find out information about places.
This would be my first post and i would really appreciate any hep i can get.

So this is my Story (short version) move from the Caribbean by myself to Miami, Fl... Did not like how fake Miami is and that its too expensive (and how lonely was i)... So i have 2 cousins that live in lehigh valley Pennsylvania who invited me to move with them so i wouldn't be so alone in a big city, so after a lot of trying they finally got me to move. I moved in January but by march i was ready to go back to Florida, i miss the weather, the Latin culture, pools, BBQ when ever i want, active days (when it snows theres not much you can do for a long time).

So i want to go back to Florida, and this time i want to move to Orlando, is cheaper than Miami, not as fake and has everything i want.

I was there a couple of days ago on vacation and did a little home work, on some places that i could rent i was looking between the metro west doctor Phillips area and Close to Millenia. I would like a 2/2 SAFE GATED community notice the Bold letters, here i don't live in a gated community someone already stole my 4 tires and a month later someone hit the door of my car and didn't leave a note (Really Hit the door). My budget is $1,100 for rent i would consider going up to $1,200 if its a REALLY nice place, i would be living with my girlfriend and her 4 year old son, so utilities and such we would be splitting that, i would pay most of the rent (70%) any suggestions on communities that i could check out or safe areas i would appreciate it.

Just to be clear when i say safe i mean a nice Calm area, that the surroundings are neatly kept, that i wouldn't be afraid of going in my car and someone would try to car jack me, lets say that in an area where you measure the "Ghetto" from 1 to 10 I would be ok With a 6, no more than that.

Thanks In Advance
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2014, 12:29 AM

2,129 posts, read 4,509,869 times
Honestly when it comes to apartments, safety of the area is better than a gate. I know people who live in a gated community over by Millenia and they're have been car break-ins there. If you're looking for safety on a budget, I'd look at Seminole County. Apartments seem to be cheaper there, and the apartments in MetroWest/Millenia are iffy.

Old 08-28-2014, 12:37 AM

24,404 posts, read 26,946,756 times
In college I lived in a a gated apartment complex in a very safe area. However, inside the gates was a different story, while it was not dangerous there was definitely shady activity going on and I parked my car in an area inside the gates where I assume they handled their business. I woke up to find my car keyed all over. I thought about sitting from a distance with binoculars to see if they would try it again the next night then go beat the crap out of them with a bat or taser gun, but I came to my senses and just didn't park in that area anymore, so while it's important to live in a safe area, you should also check reviews on how safe it is INSIDE the gates.

Old 08-28-2014, 06:36 AM

27,207 posts, read 43,910,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vitico23 View Post
Hello im new to this forum, but to be honest have always used it to find out information about places.
This would be my first post and i would really appreciate any hep i can get.

So this is my Story (short version) move from the Caribbean by myself to Miami, Fl... Did not like how fake Miami is and that its too expensive (and how lonely was i)... So i have 2 cousins that live in lehigh valley Pennsylvania who invited me to move with them so i wouldn't be so alone in a big city, so after a lot of trying they finally got me to move. I moved in January but by march i was ready to go back to Florida, i miss the weather, the Latin culture, pools, BBQ when ever i want, active days (when it snows theres not much you can do for a long time).

So i want to go back to Florida, and this time i want to move to Orlando, is cheaper than Miami, not as fake and has everything i want.

I was there a couple of days ago on vacation and did a little home work, on some places that i could rent i was looking between the metro west doctor Phillips area and Close to Millenia. I would like a 2/2 SAFE GATED community notice the Bold letters, here i don't live in a gated community someone already stole my 4 tires and a month later someone hit the door of my car and didn't leave a note (Really Hit the door). My budget is $1,100 for rent i would consider going up to $1,200 if its a REALLY nice place, i would be living with my girlfriend and her 4 year old son, so utilities and such we would be splitting that, i would pay most of the rent (70%) any suggestions on communities that i could check out or safe areas i would appreciate it.

Just to be clear when i say safe i mean a nice Calm area, that the surroundings are neatly kept, that i wouldn't be afraid of going in my car and someone would try to car jack me, lets say that in an area where you measure the "Ghetto" from 1 to 10 I would be ok With a 6, no more than that.

Thanks In Advance
Quote:
Originally Posted by brinkofsunshine View Post
Honestly when it comes to apartments, safety of the area is better than a gate. I know people who live in a gated community over by Millenia and they're have been car break-ins there. If you're looking for safety on a budget, I'd look at Seminole County. Apartments seem to be cheaper there, and the apartments in MetroWest/Millenia are iffy.
I agree regarding Seminole County, much of Orlando/Orange County in terms of the rental market is going to be similar to what you had experienced before. In terms of gated apartment communities they don't really exist in Seminole County much because it's not unsafe like what you're describing. Only the very expensive apartment communities (1500+ per month) seemingly feature gated entrances, and that's just some. Check out apartments in towns like Oviedo, Winter Springs, Lake Mary and Sanford (west side closer to I-4). All offer plenty of options in your price range, are very safe largely and in "nice, calm" areas minus lots of traffic and congestion, but still close enough to Orlando (less than 30 minutes) and the rest of the area.

Old 08-28-2014, 09:00 AM

Thanks for replying guys i appreciate it, i was doing some research and found a couple of "recommended" areas maybe someone can shine some light on them. I noticed that people say that pine hill is a big NO NO, that Williamsburg (by sea world) is fairly nice. There is a complex named bermuda dunes (the hiwasee area) the element and the palazza at metro west are nice and safe and harbor town. This is research that ive done reading all the post.... i want something centrally located because my job most likely be either by millenia or turkey lake and i dont really want more then a 30 minute drive each way.

Thanks guys, keep them coming..

Old 08-28-2014, 09:09 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,033,913 times
I'd start by asking where you'll be working.

Old 08-28-2014, 10:57 AM

433 posts, read 1,011,883 times
The internet and city data make out Orlando to be way more dangerous than it is. Yes the crime can be high but it's very isolated in most cases. I have lived in a bad area the last 6 months and other than a hooker approaching me, people asking for change, and a guy who was thinking about breaking into my car things have been ok and I can walk downtown. Do I want to stay here? No. I plan to move to a nicer area soon but if you go by the info on crime back in 2008 you would think.It's a third world country here.

Now as for the culture Orlando culture is similar to Miami. The difference is slower paced more college orientated and a lower bar on the status stuff but it's still a pretty judgemental culture for petty things compared to most of the country. Miami however is where it's the worse and if you don't know Spanish or are American you will be at a disadvantage. That's definitely not true in Orlando.

Old 08-28-2014, 11:55 AM

I do think you are right, people make it worse than it is, but i would love to find out about a place that if it happens it will be something that doesnt happen very often. Crime is everywhere i just want to make sure that in the complex nothing will happen to our cars, nothing will happen to my girlfriend or my stepson... a place that i dont smell weed every night or see a bunch of guys with their pants down to their knees. My requirements are simple CLEAN well kept areas no dirty neighbors and understandably safe. Seminole county i think it would be a little drive from my work location, but great to know for when i buy my home in a couple of years

Old 08-28-2014, 12:29 PM

8,963 posts, read 8,916,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ^Eagle^ View Post
The internet and city data make out Orlando to be way more dangerous than it is. Yes the crime can be high but it's very isolated in most cases. I have lived in a bad area the last 6 months and other than a hooker approaching me, people asking for change, and a guy who was thinking about breaking into my car things have been ok and I can walk downtown. Do I want to stay here? No. I plan to move to a nicer area soon but if you go by the info on crime back in 2008 you would think.It's a third world country here.

Now as for the culture Orlando culture is similar to Miami. The difference is slower paced more college orientated and a lower bar on the status stuff but it's still a pretty judgemental culture for petty things compared to most of the country. Miami however is where it's the worse and if you don't know Spanish or are American you will be at a disadvantage. That's definitely not true in Orlando.

It will be.

Old 08-28-2014, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComSense View Post
It will be.
What would be??? My first language is spanish
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando