Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2014, 05:05 PM

1,905 posts, read 2,789,006 times

Advertisements

Orlando is a big place so the culture are lot more integrated here than a lot of places but their are cities where the majority of population is black , Hispanic or white. The Asian population is a pretty decent size to and we even have our own little Saigon in the colonial town area with all the Vietnamese immigrants locating here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2014, 04:32 AM

4,278 posts, read 5,176,247 times
When did the melting pot become diversity? Seems an odd twist in our country to push the idea of diversity vs melting pot.

Old 09-21-2014, 05:12 AM

782 posts, read 1,368,424 times
My husband lived his whole life within 40 miles of Baltimore (sometimes closer to DC, sometimes closer to Baltimore), with the most recent stint (and longest amount of time in one location for him) in northern PG County. We both were minorities in our town (I'm white, he's Asian), and aside from people looking at me suspiciously when I lived in an apartment in Oxon Hill by myself (because no white girl would ever live there alone unless something was really wrong with her or she had large amounts of guns, according to my neighbors), I never saw a problem with being a minority in town. It was a little difficult when we had a daughter and very few places up there had the option to put "biracial" down on her ethnicity demographics, and I had been told by quite a few people that she isn't "really" biracial because…. (The people who tried to say she wasn't biracial couldn't come up with a reason why she wasn't.)

Moving down here, I knew that my husband would still be the minority, and I'd be one of a plurality. I wasn't sure what my daughter's experience would be (if she would be "allowed" to be biracial or not), but so far no one seems to question it.

What I told my husband before we moved was that the biggest adjustment he'd have would be to the slower pace of life. The idea that you can have a day, or even a whole weekend, where you have nothing that you *have* to do can be incredibly frustrating after 40+ years of the high-stress, fast-pace DC-Bawlmer life.

There was a scene in a movie years ago where a person from a high-stress life visited Key West and saw a group of people gathering and looking at….something. He rushed over and was shocked to find that they were just watching the sunset and not something "important". That's somewhat like the shock that happens when you get down here. Back in the DC area, not that long ago, there were some bad storms that ended up with an absolutely incredible rainbow. A lot of my friends' statuses on Facebook were things like "Saw a rainbow driving home from work today, but didn't have a chance to take a picture" or the ones that did snap a picture did so from a Metro train or when they were stopped in traffic on the Beltway. The important thing for them was to blog/tweet/post about it or snap a selfie with it on the rush to the next thing that had to be done rather than to enjoy it. It's a subtle distinction, but it is something that you'll either love or get frustrated with. Just that idea of "I don't have anything I *have* to do right at this very minute" or "I haven't opened my calendar app within this hour….how on earth am I going to survive?" or "I am not living life jumping from one Sbux to the next" can be a bit of a learning curve. Not everyone wants to live that life, but for those who do, the idea of going back is pretty terrifying.

Old 09-21-2014, 07:21 AM

35,687 posts, read 21,039,129 times
for me the more the interracial couples the more we cross all the borders- the better people we will be I do not like divisions, intolerance, and simple ignorance. WE all came from EVE anyhow.-- embrace your brother or sister...

Old 09-21-2014, 09:25 AM

2,529 posts, read 1,861,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinytrump View Post
what??

Just like I said, more homogeneous populations tend to have lower rates of crime but areas with more diversity tend to be more unstable. That's why all the racial tension and protests that occurred during the Civil Rights movements occurred in the more diverse southern states of Alabama and Mississippi but the same wasn't the case in more homogeneous areas like Idaho, Maine or Wyoming, etc. People tend to self-segregate based on their races. When areas are more homogeneous, there isn't anyone to be racist against. This partly explains why you have cities where one area is completely black, while another area is completely white.

You can tolerate people, but accepting them is a different thing.

Old 09-21-2014, 10:43 AM

35,687 posts, read 21,039,129 times
I think crime comes from greed or hunger -regardless of race. Evil has no boundaries, and if you look at the past, crime started from the beginning of time, when there was "a" people... mankind just can't find happiness
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando