Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2014, 10:58 AM

27,207 posts, read 43,910,956 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EditorJul View Post
The point wasn't to dispel the statistics -- the point was to say that the methodology of the study is flawed, deliberately, because it was done by a company trying to sell home security systems. I don't think that anyone can agree in any stretch of the imagination that property crimes are equal to violent crimes. To suggest that shoplifting is the same severity as murder, vandalism is the same severity as rape, and petty theft is the same as assault and battery is a great way to skew statistics, and that's what this marketing piece has done.
Your argument doesn't hold any water....stats are what they are and whether Orlando is #24 instead of #2 in terms of "Violent Crime" versus "Overall Crime" does nothing different for sales of alarm systems since one lucky city is still ranked #2.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2014, 11:55 AM

782 posts, read 1,368,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
Your argument doesn't hold any water....stats are what they are and whether Orlando is #24 instead of #2 in terms of "Violent Crime" versus "Overall Crime" does nothing different for sales of alarm systems since one lucky city is still ranked #2.
Not a week goes by that i don't get an ad for the company that put out this "study" (ADT) explaining to me how I need a home security system (even though I'm currently renting an apartment) because this area is so dangerous. I have no doubt that they'll be using this on their promotional materials that I'll get within the next month or so. If you can take an area that has wealthy suburbs, high levels of new residents, higher than average new home construction, and then convince people that the area is more dangerous than a biker bar on free beer Friday, you're going to increase sales. The areas where they have been doing a huge marketing push suddenly now are "proven" to be dangerous by a manipulation of data. Very convenient for them, but that's what advertising companies get paid lots of money to do.

If you feel unsafe in here then by all means, they have some good specials on their web site right now so you can install the full set of alarms, cameras, and so on to give you a sense of security that their company promises money can buy. (And when I lived up north, I had them and was pleased with their service, so it isn't a riff on the company -- it is just a recognition that advertising is advertising, and that the ol' quote of "Lies, Darned Lies, and Statistics" quote holds true.)

Yes, someone will always be #1 and #2 with the highest aggregate crime rate -- but that is not the same thing as being dangerous. They know it, which is why they had to spin the data and use a bit of marketing psychology to couch it in a way that people might be concerned enough to buy their product.

(Although it does remind me of the "article" years ago calling Cabot Cove, Maine the murder capital of the world. Perhaps ADT should market there… )

Old 09-18-2014, 06:45 PM

35,691 posts, read 21,049,622 times
Quote:
Miami Beach doesn't really have any "worst parts".
my home town I feel very safe-- but I can see were tourist get robbed,,, I used to tell people close their darn purse! they leave them on carts, they bring wads of cash out of their pockets and folks looking through the glass out side, HELLO??

Old 09-18-2014, 08:15 PM

626 posts, read 975,991 times
Just pray every day that you and your loved ones are safe.

Old 09-18-2014, 08:16 PM

626 posts, read 975,991 times
Just pray every day that you and your family are safe. Then you do not have to worry.

Old 09-20-2014, 10:52 AM

4,167 posts, read 9,338,239 times
Quote:
Miami Beach doesn't really have any "worst parts".
Exactly, and they were ranked No.1 ahead of Orlando.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando