Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-06-2015, 06:26 PM

12,017 posts, read 14,322,039 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post
You can't expect these kinds of projects to go from 0-60 in 3 seconds. I think Orlando and Florida are on the right track.
Well said. Some, like Kyle, will trash Orlando and cfl at every opportunity
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2015, 07:50 PM

1,905 posts, read 2,789,802 times
Not every city with light rail has better traffic sometimes worse just saying.

Old 04-07-2015, 02:26 AM

24,407 posts, read 26,951,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fl1150 View Post
Not every city with light rail has better traffic sometimes worse just saying.
That's true, but I would imagine traffic would be much worse without them. Here in the San Francisco Bay Area we have hundreds of thousands of people riding each day. If these services weren't there that would be a lot of extra cars on the road.

Old 04-07-2015, 06:16 AM

17,184 posts, read 15,382,471 times
Quote:
That's true, but I would imagine traffic would be much worse without them. Here in the San Francisco Bay Area we have hundreds of thousands of people riding each day. If these services weren't there that would be a lot of extra cars on the road.

The problem here isn't so much extra cars, but more just poor planning.
Before launching this project, the city should have come up with a plan that would keep it elevated (or something as effective) when cutting through major arteries.
I cannot tell you the mess this little train creates every time I see it cut across 434 at Ronald Reagan in the middle of the afternoon. It's bad enough there's a major intersection right there, now we have to deal with a train going across right before it.
So: light turns green, (finally) you're ready to go, but no, you have to stop and wait for it to pass, and hope the light's still green when it's gone.

I'm ALL for increased transit options. I come from a mid-sized city that boasts the 3rd highest commuter train ridership in NA, after NYC and Mexico City. I just wish we could get it right here.

Old 04-07-2015, 06:49 AM
PDF

11,395 posts, read 13,418,339 times
I'm still looking forward to riding this thing.

Old 04-07-2015, 07:34 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,043,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrKnight View Post
Instead of constantly critiquing and being pessimistic about everything in Orlando locals should EMBRACE the fact that there are new alternative transportation methods being built that are providing a foundation of a well developed metropolitan city. Every major city needs public transportation infrastructure to be successful and Orlando politicians made the RIGHT decision to move forward with this project.

People have to keep in mind that SunRail is NEW and hence will go through growing pains just like anything that is new, there area already improvements that have been made based on several months of operation and Phase II will further expand the system to be as functional as possible and accessible to even the further areas of the metro region.
They spent 100X what it would have cost to implement BRT which would have been far more flexible. It was and will continue to be a massive money pit failure that serves only a miniscule percentage of wealthy patrons.

Old 04-07-2015, 07:58 AM

17,184 posts, read 15,382,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
They spent 100X what it would have cost to implement BRT which would have been far more flexible. It was and will continue to be a massive money pit failure that serves only a miniscule percentage of wealthy patrons.
Sunrail COULD be good if done right.
Currently, it's pretty much useless.
They should have waited for certain key city projects to be complete.
I agree that currently, a BRT would be MUCH more efficient.
Heck, I'D use it.

The way the Sunrail is, I've only been on it a few times as a joyride with the kids. There was no real purpose other than to get on a train.

Old 04-07-2015, 08:22 AM
PDF

11,395 posts, read 13,418,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal352 View Post
Sunrail COULD be good if done right.
Currently, it's pretty much useless.
They should have waited for certain key city projects to be complete.
I agree that currently, a BRT would be MUCH more efficient.
Heck, I'D use it.

The way the Sunrail is, I've only been on it a few times as a joyride with the kids. There was no real purpose other than to get on a train.
I found this article to be pretty entertaining: SunRail pub crawl

Since I'll be car-free for my first few months in Orlando, I'm actually interested in using SunRail to check out different areas of Orlando. I definitely wish Orlando had a frequent running light rail line instead, though.

Old 04-07-2015, 08:33 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,043,904 times
Quote:
It's not just MUNI, it's also BART. The bus system is cheaper, more efficient, and extensible, not to mention it moves more bodies every day.

Old 04-07-2015, 09:27 AM

27,215 posts, read 43,923,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chopchop0 View Post
Well said. Some, like Kyle, will trash Orlando and cfl at every opportunity
And some will shake their poms poms at every opportunity to make it out as some kind of paradise. That's why this is not considered a chamber of commerce chat forum.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando