Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2014, 11:51 AM

131 posts, read 295,215 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by prettyred View Post
ORLguy, I'm willing to give it try. At present I'm currently cleaning buildings, clinics and toilets at a health facility. Getting paid once a month, not even enough to pay rent and food. But it's something until something better comes along. I've never been a waitress but I'm willing to give it a try. Thanks for your post
Sure. Feel free to PM me if you need some leads for bartending/waitressing. I always have a few contacts looking for female bartenders and some of the jobs pay really, really well after you get the better shifts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2014, 01:49 PM

27,163 posts, read 43,847,941 times
Quote:
ORLguy, I'm willing to give it try. At present I'm currently cleaning buildings, clinics and toilets at a health facility. Getting paid once a month, not even enough to pay rent and food. But it's something until something better comes along. I've never been a waitress but I'm willing to give it a try. Thanks for your post
I would really recommend finding a nice upscale chain restaurant to get your start versus a random independent because the chains offer a somewhat comprehensive training program (usually a week) that covers essentials like understanding the menu/ingredients, cocktails and wine so you don't stand there with a blank look on your face every time a question comes up, not to mention other skill sets necessary to excel. I worked in the hospitality industry for 20+ years as a waiter and bartender (part of it in this area) and have a pretty deep understanding of the positive economics in choosing your place of work carefully. Check out chains like Bonefish Grill, PF Chang's, Carrabba's, Longhorn Steakhouse, Mitchell's Fish Market, Maggiano's or The Cheesecake Factory. Despite not having experience if you present yourself well (via dress/appearance and conversation) I can pretty much guarantee one or more of these establishments would make a job offer, as a positive personality and ability to converse are skills not teachable generally speaking....and certainly not prevalent in general.

Old 10-17-2014, 07:08 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,017,224 times
Quote:
How many of us have lost jobs have found it difficult to find another? Oh, I know people say it's easy to find a job if you're not selective. But let's be realistic. We want something that we will still respect ourselves the next morning.
No matter what the reason termination, laid off, quit. Most of us need to make a living to survive.

These days employers want you to have experience, even though most will train you. I mean applied to be a maid for a hotel in Maryland. I was asked if I've ever clean before. I said yes my own home, but not hotel rooms. Needless to say I didn't get the job. The ironic thing about it. And you tell me if this has happened to you. My ability to do the job was not the issue. But my looks. You see I'm a fairly attractive women of a particular age and the woman who I spoke with was too.

Now I don't know about you. However, I'm finding over the past several years that I'm struggling to keep jobs, get a job because of insecurities of women who happened to be my boss. Now before anyone get their panties in a knot. I'm not harping on my looks or think I'm better than others as I've been accused of in earlier years. This article is not about that ...

Rather it is about trying to survive without a job. Yeah, there is government assistance, food stamps, medical, etc. But many and I included don't qualify for medical assistance because we don't meet the criteria. While many of us have skills to make it in the workforce. The longer you're unemployed the harder it is the get employed. How many of us had to dummy down our resume because we're over qualified? Or had to add to the resume because we don't have enough experience? It's enough to make your head spin. You can't win for losing. Not to mention fast food restuarants won't hire you, Walmart, K-Mart, Target won't either. Some places you're either to old or to young. What's a person to do?

You have a clean background check so you know that's not the problem. But you're not hireable. Currently, there are many who are homeless. Homeless means you are not living in you OWN place, instead you're living with friends and family or on the streets, parks, sleeping in your car. And all this is not by choice. So what's a person to do? Suicide is NOT an option.

Please share your thoughts and ideas. And please be respectful of others because as I write this there is some one who is in pain grieving over this.
Um yeah, sure you aren't getting jobs because of your looks. Highly doubt that. perhaps the "Don't hate me because I'm beautiful" attitude that you give off is a turn off to most. Remember, beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

Old 10-17-2014, 07:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
I would really recommend finding a nice upscale chain restaurant to get your start versus a random independent because the chains offer a somewhat comprehensive training program (usually a week) that covers essentials like understanding the menu/ingredients, cocktails and wine so you don't stand there with a blank look on your face every time a question comes up, not to mention other skill sets necessary to excel. I worked in the hospitality industry for 20+ years as a waiter and bartender (part of it in this area) and have a pretty deep understanding of the positive economics in choosing your place of work carefully. Check out chains like Bonefish Grill, PF Chang's, Carrabba's, Longhorn Steakhouse, Mitchell's Fish Market, Maggiano's or The Cheesecake Factory. Despite not having experience if you present yourself well (via dress/appearance and conversation) I can pretty much guarantee one or more of these establishments would make a job offer, as a positive personality and ability to converse are skills not teachable generally speaking....and certainly not prevalent in general.
Those places don't hire servers without experience. That said, they will often hire greeters with a certain look who don't have experience, although they need to have a pleasant, service oriented personality.

Old 10-18-2014, 12:56 PM

131 posts, read 295,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
Those places don't hire servers without experience. That said, they will often hire greeters with a certain look who don't have experience, although they need to have a pleasant, service oriented personality.
You have no idea what you are talking about. Seems like a theme for you in this forum.

You really are going to attack someone who is looking for work and has taken a cleaning position, something many would not do? That's pathetic.

Old 10-18-2014, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ORLguy View Post
You have no idea what you are talking about. Seems like a theme for you in this forum.

You really are going to attack someone who is looking for work and has taken a cleaning position, something many would not do? That's pathetic.
Go ahead, walk in the Capital Grille or Oceanaire Room with no serving experience and let me know how that goes for you. Those are upscale chains. The others mentioned are table service fast food.

Old 10-18-2014, 02:30 PM

2,054 posts, read 3,339,799 times
If you have a good skill that's needed, and are a conscientious worker, you'll never lack for a job.

Old 10-19-2014, 09:58 AM

12,135 posts, read 16,118,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smarino View Post
If you have a good skill that's needed, and are a conscientious worker, you'll never lack for a job.
Couldnt be a more accurate statement.

Old 10-20-2014, 01:15 PM

46 posts, read 74,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
Go ahead, walk in the Capital Grille or Oceanaire Room with no serving experience and let me know how that goes for you. Those are upscale chains. The others mentioned are table service fast food.
You will still walk out with around $100/night in your pocket serving at places like TGI Fridays, Carabba's, etc. if it's in a location that stays busy. Go into Bonefish or Outback and it's pretty much guaranteed.

My buddy is a server at Eddie V's and frequently makes $300-$400 a night. Places of that caliber you will need extensive serving experience combined with at least an above average wine/liquor knowledge.

Old 10-20-2014, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by barbosa View Post
You will still walk out with around $100/night in your pocket serving at places like TGI Fridays, Carabba's, etc. if it's in a location that stays busy. Go into Bonefish or Outback and it's pretty much guaranteed.

My buddy is a server at Eddie V's and frequently makes $300-$400 a night. Places of that caliber you will need extensive serving experience combined with at least an above average wine/liquor knowledge.
My point exactly. Kyle wrote:

Quote:
I would really recommend finding a nice upscale chain restaurant to get your start
A place of that caliber doesn't hire people without experience--even as dishwashers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
View detailed profiles of: