Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2008, 01:15 PM

973 posts, read 2,221,679 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by amax41 View Post
Hey SMB, take Oviedo I don't need any competition on the stuff in Winter Springs we are looking at LOL!
You have nothing to worry about - Have you been following Oviedo/Winter Springs real estate? Over the past year I've seen quite a few 4/2.5/2-3 car garage houses with low 2000's sqft drop from the high $300's to the mid $200's. There's a ton of inventory and people still aren't buying. Take a drive through any of these relatively new cookie cutter neighborhoods and there are Sale or Foreclosure signs all over the place. Then drive through some of the communities that haven't even been finished in Oviedo and Chuluota "from the $400's/$500's" and it's 90% empty lots and brand new vacant houses..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2008, 01:25 PM

765 posts, read 2,628,500 times
One of the reasons homes are not selling is because the majority of the wages in Central Florida are not in line with the cost of housing. Once the housing costs are again in line with the wages, you will see more homes selling.

Old 01-03-2008, 08:03 PM

57 posts, read 168,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amax41 View Post
Hey SMB, take Oviedo I don't need any competition on the stuff in Winter Springs we are looking at LOL!

Don't worry I am selling my house now and I don't think I am ready for another one just yet. Houses can be somewhat a pain and very expensive I have noticed (This is my first house). We will be renting. I have been looking at the Grandville at River Place to rent. The 3 bedrooms are really big and at a decent price. I like the idea of being close to Orlando, but not living there and I think this place may be perfect. Has anyone heard of it?

Old 01-04-2008, 06:27 AM

316 posts, read 1,033,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ucfjtm View Post
You have nothing to worry about - Have you been following Oviedo/Winter Springs real estate? Over the past year I've seen quite a few 4/2.5/2-3 car garage houses with low 2000's sqft drop from the high $300's to the mid $200's. There's a ton of inventory and people still aren't buying. Take a drive through any of these relatively new cookie cutter neighborhoods and there are Sale or Foreclosure signs all over the place. Then drive through some of the communities that haven't even been finished in Oviedo and Chuluota "from the $400's/$500's" and it's 90% empty lots and brand new vacant houses..
This is pretty much the trend across the state. Although we are not looking at th cookie cutter new snooty models. Being in the middle of life and having owned several houses we can now comfortly say - flash means no cash. Using the economics of where we come from (Chicago burbs & Wisconsin) if you have to pay more than $230K for a house...you better rethink your attitude. Many of the houses we've seen are not worth the asking price.

There are some in that area that fit the bill, but it's not time yet. We still have until 2009/2010 for this to hit reality.

Old 01-24-2008, 07:49 PM

5 posts, read 13,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aviendha View Post
I work in an Oviedo elementary school that has a very high population of Northerners who have relocated. I can't tell you how many times I've been told by parents how they were "warned" about the terrible schools in Florida only to discover that they were more impressed with the education their children were receiving from our little school in Oviedo. I can't speak for every school in Seminole, or Orange, but all schools are not lagging as far behind as one may think.
Maybe you can help me. My family will be moving to Florida or Texas this summer and i am consider Oveido, Winter Springs or Lake Mary. My HUGEST concern is my daughter who will be entering high school. She is in Long Island schools and she is in all honor classes. I don't want to go somewhere where she is at a disadvantage. Any help is appreciated.

Old 01-26-2008, 09:28 AM

45 posts, read 160,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smb5575 View Post
Well lets just start with the fact that im not just sacrificing a couple of months. Its always cold up here unless it's from June through the beginning of October. I have family in Orlando as well. My mom has the money to visit us every couple of months so visiting family is not a problem. I hate the feeling of being trapped in our house for months. My daughter is 20 months old and loves playing outside. She likes the snow, but sometimes it is too cold to take her outside. We like to sit outside a lot and just relax. We also love to take walks outside and sometimes we snorkel during the summer. There is not much to do up here. It's very old and ugly up here and even the museum's around my area are small and not very interesting.

Amen, to that. I lived in Maryland all of my life. Froze as a Fire captain in Baltimore City many a night. I am coming down in February to look at homes. I really think it will come down to these two areas also. We will check Wintergarden and Windermere out just to see for ourselves but I believe we will wind up in Wintersprings or Oviedo. I have been reading this sight for awhile now and doing alot of research on the things we need to know. We have family in Boca and Naples and Coco. I,m almost 50 and I want a change. Been to Orlando many times but just as they say on this sight only in the tourist area, thats why were coming down to do our research and to be sure this is the right move for us. We want shopping and some half descent restaurants close by along with a good area. Our son is in high school so thats not to bad since he won't have that long to go before he is finished and that will be one less worry. Daughter in 2nd year of college. Every time I have been to Florida I love it which is quite frequently since my parents are in Boca. Love the sun and we chose Central Fl because the weather is somewhat better than farther south,storm issues were considered and we love the parks and all the options if you want to do other things. From Oct thru half of April is cold here at least to cold for us, besides I want to try something new before I die. I don't want to live in one state my entire life. So there you have it sorry about the rant and Good Luck to you.....

Old 01-26-2008, 04:51 PM

497 posts, read 1,561,274 times
People that don't live in New England don't know what it's like. The "small sacrifice" is over half a year. Here in Maine it can snow from October through May. That's 8 months. Granted snow in October and snow in May is rare it can and does happen. I have had to wear a jacket on the 4th of July. You want to swim in the ocean? Not going to happen up here...the highest water temp we get is in the low 60s. People do go in the water but it's not for me. Pools are only good for about 2 months here in the northeast. Who wants to go through all the expense of a pool for 2 months of use?

Then you have the snow...I have gone through this over and over but if you have to drive in it...which is if you need to work you will need to drive in it...it's bad. You think people drive crazy in Florida, people try to drive the speed limit or faster in a blinding snowstorm!! The truckers are the worst ones!! The speed limits during a snow storm drop from 55/65 to 40/45 but the idiots here still try to drive 75 even during the snow! Is it a wonder there are accidents every snow storm?

Then you have to go out a half hour before you need to leave to brush and scrape off your car and warm the car up. That's if your car even starts. Then if you want to walk or go anywhere in the winter you better be very careful because the ice is everywhere and it's very easy to fall and break something. This is why people get and stay fat in new england. Because for 6 months out of the year it's dangerous to go out and walk or run.

Of course then you have the darkness, for most of the winter it's dark before 4pm. There is barely any sun. On the few days a month the sun is out you can forget about going outside because it's bitter cold with a biting wind. If I didn't work I would be fatter than I am because I would be sitting in the house all day. I look forward to the day when I can call Florida home.

Also, getting back to the cars and driving in the winter...during the 6-8 months of winters your car will be covered in road salt which will eat away and rust out your car. As soon as you wash your car it's covered right back up again. You have sand and dirt everywhere. Whenever they have to salt or sand the walks and drives (which is almost every day) you have all that gunk tracking through your homes, stores, or workplace. It's an ugly time of year and something I will not miss when I get to move!

Old 01-28-2008, 01:15 PM

35 posts, read 172,061 times
We want to move to Maryland because we feel like prisoners here in the summer, 93F + humidity (feels like more than 100), lightning strikes that set houses on fire etc. I love being outside too, but it is too hot and humid for too long here for me. I also get sick of wearing shorts. On the positive side, we do have a lovely house for sale in a lovely neighborhood in Winter Springs. My children bike to school and yes it is a good school, I am happy with it and they are happy there. If I could take my house, yard, and pool, and neighborhood with me I would. Shopping is 5-10 minutes away, airport 30 minutes, SR 417 less than 10 minutes.

Old 01-28-2008, 01:25 PM

35 posts, read 172,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michael c View Post
Amen, to that. I lived in Maryland all of my life. Froze as a Fire captain in Baltimore City many a night. I am coming down in February to look at homes. I really think it will come down to these two areas also. We will check Wintergarden and Windermere out just to see for ourselves but I believe we will wind up in Wintersprings or Oviedo. I have been reading this sight for awhile now and doing alot of research on the things we need to know. We have family in Boca and Naples and Coco. I,m almost 50 and I want a change. Been to Orlando many times but just as they say on this sight only in the tourist area, thats why were coming down to do our research and to be sure this is the right move for us. We want shopping and some half descent restaurants close by along with a good area. Our son is in high school so thats not to bad since he won't have that long to go before he is finished and that will be one less worry. Daughter in 2nd year of college. Every time I have been to Florida I love it which is quite frequently since my parents are in Boca. Love the sun and we chose Central Fl because the weather is somewhat better than farther south,storm issues were considered and we love the parks and all the options if you want to do other things. From Oct thru half of April is cold here at least to cold for us, besides I want to try something new before I die. I don't want to live in one state my entire life. So there you have it sorry about the rant and Good Luck to you.....
You buy my house and we'll buy yours! My husband is already working in Hunt Valley, MD and the children and I are stuck here until our house sells. It's not fun.

Old 01-28-2008, 04:01 PM

45 posts, read 160,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floridabrit View Post
You buy my house and we'll buy yours! My husband is already working in Hunt Valley, MD and the children and I are stuck here until our house sells. It's not fun.
Hi, let me know where your at and the MLS#. We arrive middle of next week and will be looking in your area. Be glad to show you our home but would not make that any type of condition on us moving and buying yours. As I stated lived here all my life. The schools in Belair where we are at are A+, middle and High. Great area and shopping, restaurants. Our house is 4 bedrooms, 3 walk-in closets, 31/2 baths, deck, fenced in yard all vinyl and maintenance free. Luxury Townhome community which includes beautiful built in pool, clubhouse, fitness center. Hoa fees 500.00 a year! Safe area A+.End unit, brick front, Fireplace. Good luck
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando