Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2014, 02:26 PM

605 posts, read 711,311 times

Advertisements

Can anyone give me the basic differences between these two areas, and of the two, which is nicer?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2014, 02:49 PM

27,167 posts, read 43,857,618 times
Winter Park is much more established and a good bit nicer in my opinion whereas Winter Garden has recently become something of an attraction with it's downtown area, though it pales in comparison considerably to Winter Park's offerings both downtown and around town. Winter Park has a feel more of a town in the Northeast US versus Winter Garden which very definitely feels Central Florida-like.

Old 10-31-2014, 02:52 PM

That is actually helpful - thank you! I know I need to look at both in person, but it's hard to distinguish the differences on the internet.

From afar we like the idea of Winter Garden because of that downtown (an attraction as you say) and the bike path (man I like that bike path). But we want to be in the nicer areas if possible, and I think the Whole Foods and good grocery stores are closer to the Winter Park area. Decisions, decisions....

Thanks again for your input.

Old 10-31-2014, 03:25 PM

782 posts, read 1,368,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bellamouse View Post
That is actually helpful - thank you! I know I need to look at both in person, but it's hard to distinguish the differences on the internet.

From afar we like the idea of Winter Garden because of that downtown (an attraction as you say) and the bike path (man I like that bike path). But we want to be in the nicer areas if possible, and I think the Whole Foods and good grocery stores are closer to the Winter Park area. Decisions, decisions....

Thanks again for your input.

If the big concern is Whole Foods, depending on where you live in Winter Garden, it isn't that far of a trek to the Whole Foods in Dr. Phillips. But truthfully, I much prefer going to the farmer's market in downtown Winter Garden rather than Whole Paycheck. The quality is better, there's a bigger selection, and the prices are much better. Winter Park also has a farmer's market on Saturday, so if the quality is comparable, you'd probably end up there more often than WF as well.

There's a lot of specialty food stores in the Winter Garden/Windermere area. I really like Douce France bakery for bread (and My French Cafe for pastries in Windermere), and quite a few neat things are coming in with the Plant Street Market next year.
Plant Street Market

Hopefully someone else can come in and mention all the equally awesome things for Winter Park.

Old 10-31-2014, 03:28 PM

1,265 posts, read 1,422,334 times
One thing to understand about Winter Park -

Don't believe every home ad that claims they're IN Winter Park. WPK zip codes extend to some areas around SR 436 that are much less desirable (though not terrible by any means). Winter Park DOWNTOWN on the other hand, is a fabulous area with a rather high average income. Winter Garden's downtown is also very cute, but much less glitz and glam, and more what you'd think of when considering a more rural southern downtown. You won't see pickup trucks and Harley's in Winter Park, but you will in WG. You'll see Bentley's and Maserati's on Park Ave in Winter Park.

Old 10-31-2014, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EditorJul View Post
If the big concern is Whole Foods, depending on where you live in Winter Garden, it isn't that far of a trek to the Whole Foods in Dr. Phillips. But truthfully, I much prefer going to the farmer's market in downtown Winter Garden rather than Whole Paycheck. The quality is better, there's a bigger selection, and the prices are much better. Winter Park also has a farmer's market on Saturday, so if the quality is comparable, you'd probably end up there more often than WF as well.

There's a lot of specialty food stores in the Winter Garden/Windermere area. I really like Douce France bakery for bread (and My French Cafe for pastries in Windermere), and quite a few neat things are coming in with the Plant Street Market next year.
Plant Street Market

Hopefully someone else can come in and mention all the equally awesome things for Winter Park.
Oh wow that Plant Street Market looks great.

I really only want the Whole Foods for the specialty items I need, not so much their produce, so I don't need to be right near it. We don't eat grains so I need grass fed meat and things like raw cocoa powder, certain spices, etc. I thought the Trader Joe's was around there somewhere too. We do like Trader Joe's as well.

I love the idea of the farmer's market and I'm trying wrap my head around the WONDERFUL idea of being able to go to one year round?? <mind blowing>

It is snowing to beat the band here right now and I'm DYING....

Husband just had a terrific preliminary interview for a job in Orlando that's located near 441 just north of Fairview Shores, so it looks like that is just about midway between both Winter Park and Winter Garden. I am trying not to be too excited but it's very, very hard especially when you look out the window...

Although for all I know I could come and visit and pick some entirely different area altogether...

Old 10-31-2014, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ServoMiff View Post
One thing to understand about Winter Park -

Don't believe every home ad that claims they're IN Winter Park. WPK zip codes extend to some areas around SR 436 that are much less desirable (though not terrible by any means). Winter Park DOWNTOWN on the other hand, is a fabulous area with a rather high average income. Winter Garden's downtown is also very cute, but much less glitz and glam, and more what you'd think of when considering a more rural southern downtown. You won't see pickup trucks and Harley's in Winter Park, but you will in WG. You'll see Bentley's and Maserati's on Park Ave in Winter Park.
This helps a lot. But also makes the decision kind of harder! We kind of live close to the Maserati's right now, but we are sick of the city and the rat race and like the idea of something more rural and quiet (and we love pickup trucks ). We are conservative, love country music and big church goers. We would prefer a more conservative area (not that we dislike people who are more liberal than us, we just don't like being the ONLY conservative ones like we pretty much are now).

Oh, one more question for whomever can answer:

Can you hear airplane noise/traffic in Winter Park? It seems directly north of the airport but on the map it looks like the runways don't run N/S, so maybe it doesn't get much noise? That would be a deal breaker for us - we live near O'Hare now and the airplane noise is beyond horrible. We never want that, ever again.

Old 10-31-2014, 09:27 PM

14 posts, read 33,423 times
We are making the move when we sell our house here in Illinois. We actually thought we would move to Winter Park when we started planning the move 3 years ago. We explored the town, loved the shops and restaurants but something wasn't clicking for us. Winter Garden was suggested and we felt at home there immediately. I would describe it as the difference between St. Louis and Chicago. We love both, but we can wear jeans, park easily and feel very relaxed in St. Louis. Chicago we dress up a bit, parking is a nightmare and it is fast paced and just a little stufffy. For us, we love the atmosphere of Winter Park, but want to wear our shorts and flip-flops and go downtown for coffee and the Farmer's Market. So, we are going to buy a house in Winter Garden and visit Winter Park when we feel like it. I really do suggest visiting both, talking to people in the stores etc. You will know where you belong.

Old 11-01-2014, 05:47 AM

4,584 posts, read 4,194,304 times
Quote:
Oh wow that Plant Street Market looks great.

I really only want the Whole Foods for the specialty items I need, not so much their produce, so I don't need to be right near it. We don't eat grains so I need grass fed meat and things like raw cocoa powder, certain spices, etc. I thought the Trader Joe's was around there somewhere too. We do like Trader Joe's as well.

I love the idea of the farmer's market and I'm trying wrap my head around the WONDERFUL idea of being able to go to one year round?? <mind blowing>

It is snowing to beat the band here right now and I'm DYING....

Husband just had a terrific preliminary interview for a job in Orlando that's located near 441 just north of Fairview Shores, so it looks like that is just about midway between both Winter Park and Winter Garden. I am trying not to be too excited but it's very, very hard especially when you look out the window...

Although for all I know I could come and visit and pick some entirely different area altogether...
Traders Joes is right down the street on Sand Lake Road next to Dellagio. Next to the entrance for Sandpointe Townhomes ....

Old 11-01-2014, 05:49 AM

4,584 posts, read 4,194,304 times
Quote:
This helps a lot. But also makes the decision kind of harder! We kind of live close to the Maserati's right now, but we are sick of the city and the rat race and like the idea of something more rural and quiet (and we love pickup trucks ). We are conservative, love country music and big church goers. We would prefer a more conservative area (not that we dislike people who are more liberal than us, we just don't like being the ONLY conservative ones like we pretty much are now).

Oh, one more question for whomever can answer:

Can you hear airplane noise/traffic in Winter Park? It seems directly north of the airport but on the map it looks like the runways don't run N/S, so maybe it doesn't get much noise? That would be a deal breaker for us - we live near O'Hare now and the airplane noise is beyond horrible. We never want that, ever again.
Sounds like you would enjoy Winter Garden more than Winter Park ... and no, you wouldn't hear continual airport noise in either Winter Park or Winter Garden.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando