Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2014, 10:51 AM

12,135 posts, read 16,024,514 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by leftee View Post
Of course not, but until Orlando attracts major corporations to the area with the executive jobs already in place, the job growth will always be at the bottom of the wage spectrum. And only a small percentage of those low-wage workers will ever progress to an executive level ...
There are many major corporations in the Orlando area.

It is impossible for job growth to always be at the bottom of the wage spectrum. Some employees must be good enough at what they do to be promoted to higher levels where their skills and knowledge are required or the company is forced to find them elsewhere.

Low wage workers who stay low wage workers may do so because they do not want to be responsible for anything. It is the easy way to get by. That way they can enjoy the government benefits that only low wage workers are eligible for.

There are also those folks who's abilities are limited for various reasons. Those folks also stay at the lower levels indefinitely. These are not new situations. They have been playing out for all time.

You cant have all chiefs and no Indians. You cant have a city made up of all chiefs and no Indians.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2014, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
Verizon just moved to lake Mary and while some of the positions were filled by people from other areas, there were still a few dozen jobs paying over $50K filled by locals. I'd take executive jobs filled from other areas over no executive jobs, as those people will buy homes and spend money on entertainment, clothing services, meals, etc.
Of course. A company cannot come to an area and start from scratch. Companies need to have experienced people at all levels in order to operate smoothly. They simply cant take on a crew of
newbies and expect to be where they need to be as far as providing the service they are designed to provide.

Company Alpha cant rent office space, put an ad in the paper saying "Wanted - People to fill executive, management and supervisory experience for our company which just moved here. Call 632-9999 to apply'

Old 11-06-2014, 11:09 AM

148 posts, read 181,902 times
The idea that people move through the ranks is a little out dated. Of course it happens but these days there are multiple ladders and traversing the ladders is the hard part.

What do you think college is for if not to start people at executive level jobs. Not executive level positions (managers etc) but jobs in executive level industries that are not growing as much in Orlando.

Old 11-06-2014, 11:59 AM

4,584 posts, read 4,168,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spring Hillian View Post
Company Alpha cant rent office space, put an ad in the paper saying "Wanted - People to fill executive, management and supervisory experience for our company which just moved here. Call 632-9999 to apply'
Really ? You were just talking up the new Hobby Lobby store in your area. Did they bring someone in from Georgia to be store manager, some folks from Nebraska to be department managers, or did they hire them all from Florida ?

Do you know what a startup company is and what they do when they grow ?

Old 11-06-2014, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GAtoFL View Post
The idea that people move through the ranks is a little out dated. Of course it happens but these days there are multiple ladders and traversing the ladders is the hard part.

What do you think college is for if not to start people at executive level jobs. Not executive level positions (managers etc) but jobs in executive level industries that are not growing as much in Orlando.
I disagree. The ladders are still there. They may traverse but that is part of the growing process.

So you're telling me you can take a kid just out of college, sit him down at the desk of a automobile insurance rater and that kid is going to do the job correctly? Of course not. How then could you put a recent college grad at the desk of the department manager of automobile insurance raters?

A college grad may know the theory of many subjects but without the actual hands on exposure
what do you have?

Old 11-06-2014, 12:59 PM

148 posts, read 181,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spring Hillian View Post
I disagree. The ladders are still there. They may traverse but that is part of the growing process.

So you're telling me you can take a kid just out of college, sit him down at the desk of a automobile insurance rater and that kid is going to do the job correctly? Of course not. How then could you put a recent college grad at the desk of the department manager of automobile insurance raters?

A college grad may know the theory of many subjects but without the actual hands on exposure
what do you have?
Of course there are ladders and people of course gain experience and advance. I wasn't saying otherwise.

I am saying there is a difference between jobs that are mainly executive eg hi tech industries and executive level jobs such as a manager at a mall store.

University grads are likely to start pretty close to the managerial level in the mall store. The college grad starts off at the bottom of a totally different ladder in executive industries.

If all the new jobs Orlando are seeing are waiters, store clerks etc there are only few opportunities to move into executive level jobs. Whilst growth is good, the quality of growth also needs to be there too.

Old 11-06-2014, 02:00 PM

2,983 posts, read 4,595,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAtoFL View Post
Of course there are ladders and people of course gain experience and advance. I wasn't saying otherwise.

I am saying there is a difference between jobs that are mainly executive eg hi tech industries and executive level jobs such as a manager at a mall store.

University grads are likely to start pretty close to the managerial level in the mall store. The college grad starts off at the bottom of a totally different ladder in executive industries.

If all the new jobs Orlando are seeing are waiters, store clerks etc there are only few opportunities to move into executive level jobs. Whilst growth is good, the quality of growth also needs to be there too.

The quality of jobs is a point that has been beaten to death on the Florida forums. Some folks on here don't want to except that most of these jobs are likely low wage/dead-end positions.

While having any job is better than having no job people are still going to struggle and rely on public assistance to get by if they're not making a living wage. It's really sad when the locals have nothing else to get excited about except for an Amazon warehouse or Hobby Lobby.

Old 11-06-2014, 02:37 PM

35,358 posts, read 20,722,137 times
I can tell you re: Verizon they ship and transfer their people. and outsource much to contractors in many of the fields, the cell phone thing not sure- except it's crappy signals, my job cell is Verizon-

Old 11-06-2014, 02:55 PM

26,585 posts, read 61,832,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinytrump View Post
I can tell you re: Verizon they ship and transfer their people. and outsource much to contractors in many of the fields, the cell phone thing not sure- except it's crappy signals, my job cell is Verizon-
I've been with Verizon for 15 years and have signals around the world where others have none.

I know a dozen people who work in administrative and executive roles for Verizon, only two have ever been relocated, and both jumped at the chance. One came with the Lake Mary move which included a small raise and relocation expenses. The other got to move to the Boston area with a six figure salary and relocation expenses paid.

Old 11-06-2014, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leftee View Post
Really ? You were just talking up the new Hobby Lobby store in your area. Did they bring someone in from Georgia to be store manager, some folks from Nebraska to be department managers, or did they hire them all from Florida ?

Do you know what a startup company is and what they do when they grow ?

Hahaha.... I wasnt "talking up" anything. They placed an ad. You read it, I read it, everyone read it.
They have to have people from their organization to get the place started. They know the product line, store set up, ordering, company ways of doing things. They can teach and train people that have the desire to learn it and become part of the management team. Plenty of opportunity there.

Now you narrow it down to start ups. I was involved in 2 from scratch start ups. Everything from ordering a phone number to stationary. At the same time I was doing my job. There is no way on earth my employer could have pulled it off without someone like me. She could have hired an "everthing office" company to handle staffing, banking, insurance, furniture, communications, computer acquisition, proper software, stationary. Between the two of us we got it off the ground.

If you are starting a company you have people on your team who can get it done. You just dont go out and hire people off the street and task them with outfitting and getting it off the ground. You dont hire anybody until you are paying the bills and have things on even keel. That would be ridiculous.

But who am I to say. You've got the whole thing nailed down.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando