Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2014, 05:45 AM

12,017 posts, read 14,323,903 times

Advertisements

Let the hating commence....

Fortune ranks Orlando No. 1 for jobs growth - Orlando Sentinel

Quote:
According to the ranking, Orlando’s job growth of 3.7 percent in the first nine months of the year was more than twice the national average.
Quote:
Florida also ranked fifth in the magazine’s state ranking for job growth during the perio
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2014, 05:49 AM

4,584 posts, read 4,196,740 times
Directly from the article ...

Fortune's ranking didn’t provide any data on average salary of the jobs, which is a big issue for Orlando's tourism-based economy.

Old 11-06-2014, 07:10 AM

5,365 posts, read 6,337,762 times
I was thinking about making a post about that this morning when I read it. Hey, even if the jobs aren't the best, growth like that is definitely something to be happy about.

For those who want to read the report from the BLS, here it is. This data also goes back a whole year, giving an even better picture of the economy.

Over-the-year change in total nonfarm employment for metropolitan areas, not seasonally adjusted

Orlando is the best performer among all of Florida's major metros.

Jacksonville - 3.3%

Miami - 2.9%

Tampa - 1.3%

Old 11-06-2014, 07:12 AM

12,135 posts, read 16,128,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leftee View Post
Directly from the article ...

Fortune's ranking didn’t provide any data on average salary of the jobs, which is a big issue for Orlando's tourism-based economy.

Entry level new jobs pay less than jobs that people have been successful in the work being done. Its called "starting at the bottom of the ladder". It takes time and effort to earn higher salaries. Thats life.
Job growth instead of job decline is a positive thing. It cuts unemployment. It is better for those who get the jobs than it was before the jobs existed.

Old 11-06-2014, 07:13 AM

5,365 posts, read 6,337,762 times
I'm curious as to what Forbes is using for criteria too. Orlando is definitely a shining star, no doubt, but I see at least one major city on this list, Houston, which is running at a faster speed than Orlando.

Over-the-year change in total nonfarm employment for metropolitan areas, not seasonally adjusted

Old 11-06-2014, 07:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spring Hillian View Post
Entry level new jobs pay less than jobs that people have been successful in the work being done. Its called "starting at the bottom of the ladder". It takes time and effort to earn higher salaries. Thats life.
Job growth instead of job decline is a positive thing. It cuts unemployment. It is better for those who get the jobs than it was before the jobs existed.
Thanks for stating the obvious - I didn't write the article. But it's obvious that major corporations are not moving to Orlando with all of the executive jobs in tow ...

Old 11-06-2014, 07:57 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,043,904 times
Quote:
Thanks for stating the obvious - I didn't write the article. But it's obvious that major corporations are not moving to Orlando with all of the executive jobs in tow ...
Verizon just moved to lake Mary and while some of the positions were filled by people from other areas, there were still a few dozen jobs paying over $50K filled by locals. I'd take executive jobs filled from other areas over no executive jobs, as those people will buy homes and spend money on entertainment, clothing services, meals, etc.

Old 11-06-2014, 08:29 AM

12,135 posts, read 16,128,302 times
Quote:
Do you really believe that "executive jobs" are where people start their careers?

Old 11-06-2014, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spring Hillian View Post
Do you really believe that "executive jobs" are where people start their careers?
Of course not, but until Orlando attracts major corporations to the area with the executive jobs already in place, the job growth will always be at the bottom of the wage spectrum. And only a small percentage of those low-wage workers will ever progress to an executive level ...

Old 11-06-2014, 09:16 AM

2,971 posts, read 3,420,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
Verizon just moved to lake Mary and while some of the positions were filled by people from other areas, there were still a few dozen jobs paying over $50K filled by locals. I'd take executive jobs filled from other areas over no executive jobs, as those people will buy homes and spend money on entertainment, clothing services, meals, etc.
And Electron Machine Corporation in lil ole "backward" Umatilla recently got a Schwartz Tech Award.

I'd never heard of them. Apparently they've been at the forefront of quite a few techy things in its field.

The Lake County website is definitely an education
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando