Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2014, 10:16 AM

35,690 posts, read 21,045,148 times

Advertisements

What I had said from the start-- higher unaffordable rents, people just move in together They may be getting the rental income they want, but how many sleep there?
Orlando metro area loses nearly 80,000 households due to doubling-up phenomenon

Nov 3, 2014, 6:28am EST

In the Orlando metro area, 36.3 percent of working-age adults are living with roommates, family or friends — the highest rate the region has ever seen, according to a new report from Zillow. In Orlando, those making the median income should currently expect to spend 30.8 percent of their monthly income on rent, the highest rate ever.

Orlando metro area loses nearly 80,000 households due to doubling-up phenomenon - Orlando Business Journal
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2014, 10:26 AM

24,396 posts, read 26,946,756 times
This isn't an isolated event though. In San Francisco, it is normal to have multiple room mates. My GF was living in a 2 bedroom with 4 other people. The average one bedroom is $2,873 per month and the average two bedroom is $3,859 per month. People make more money in San Francisco than Orlando, but on a percentage scale, Orlando still wins the affordability contest. I'm just saying, people should still be grateful in Orlando and that the grass is not always greener on the other side.

Old 11-10-2014, 10:35 AM

110 posts, read 140,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post
This isn't an isolated event though. In San Francisco, it is normal to have multiple room mates. My GF was living in a 2 bedroom with 4 other people. The average one bedroom is $2,873 per month and the average two bedroom is $3,859 per month. People make more money in San Francisco than Orlando, but on a percentage scale, Orlando still wins the affordability contest. I'm just saying, people should still be grateful in Orlando and that the grass is not always greener on the other side.
I'd rather be poor in San Francisco than rich in Orlando.

Old 11-10-2014, 10:39 AM

148 posts, read 182,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by everythingatall View Post
I wouldn't

Old 11-10-2014, 11:10 AM

24,396 posts, read 26,946,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by everythingatall View Post
Walk around Tenderloin, Bayview or Hunters Point because that is where you will live if you're poor. You'll be outmatched by homeless people on the streets, you will see people pooping on the sidewalk once a week, the smell or urine will be strong outside your doors and you'll need to watch your back very closely.

Don't get me wrong, San Francisco is a world class city that offers an entirely different level of dining, culture, arts, amazing views than Orlando, but with that being said, it comes at a hefty price and if you cannot afford it, you will be living where the homeless sleep, swap drugs and go bathroom.

I highly doubt you would enjoy your life being poor in San Francisco, especially if you could be rich in Orlando lol.

Old 11-10-2014, 11:21 AM

12,135 posts, read 16,124,405 times
Sounds like NYC for those who are low on the totem pole. The problem is the people higher on the totem pole get to witness it all. I hated stepping over bums sleeping in subway station lobbies. The stench was outrageous.

Quote:
Walk around Tenderloin, Bayview or Hunters Point because that is where you will live if you're poor. You'll be outmatched by homeless people on the streets, you will see people pooping on the sidewalk once a week, the smell or urine will be strong outside your doors and you'll need to watch your back very closely.

Don't get me wrong, San Francisco is a world class city that offers an entirely different level of dining, culture, arts, amazing views than Orlando, but with that being said, it comes at a hefty price and if you cannot afford it, you will be living where the homeless sleep, swap drugs and go bathroom.

I highly doubt you would enjoy your life being poor in San Francisco, especially if you could be rich in Orlando lol.

Old 11-10-2014, 11:53 AM

the problem with homelessness is also the restriction- you can't pitch the tent, the cardboard or whatever you can drum up, to shelter yourself and family. I like and old bunker?

Old 11-10-2014, 12:01 PM

what we will be going back to... like the rest of the world- tiny affordable places to live

Old 11-10-2014, 12:49 PM

46 posts, read 74,880 times
Maybe the rent prices will drop in the area.. I would love a 3 bedroom in College Park or Winter Park close to Park Ave, no older than 20 years old, with a fenced in yard for around $1,200 a month

Old 11-10-2014, 01:41 PM

12,017 posts, read 14,320,226 times
Quote:

Indeed

Why Middle-Class Americans Can't Afford to Live in Liberal Cities - The Atlantic
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando