Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2014, 02:35 PM

26,585 posts, read 62,038,899 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinytrump View Post
see what you started?

Clermont has one problem-- there is the city and then there is the rest- like step children, south Clermont area still carries the name -but has no benefit except the kids can attend the schools- I give A-plus to the school which they are- but the rest not for anyone who lives out from the center.- 30 mi to downtown by helicopter, the traffic is fierce, specially in what part you live in. Just consider everything --specially if you are in-house or a step child community.
Problem?

The schools are county run and have nothing to do with the City of Clermont. There are City owned amenities which are only available to City residents--the people whose taxes paid for them. It would be foolish to open them to those who didn't pay for them when they are already reaching their capacity.

By the way, you live at least 12 miles from 34711, so you have no idea what you are talking about in terms of travel time to Orlando.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2014, 02:36 PM

1,905 posts, read 2,789,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
It is diverse, but 34711 is primarily middle class with pockets of upper middle and wealth. There are also pockets of working class and a small bit of poverty. We don't have low income housing projects or welfare motels, and the crime rate is generally low. My specific neighborhood is like the UN with families of many nationalities/races including white, black, Hispanic, Asian Indian, Middle Eastern, Fillipino, Chinese, and I'm sure I am forgetting someone.
Yea looking at the census date it very diverse area and I think that is nice. I would love in area like that caters to everyone and is accepting of different cultures.

Old 12-08-2014, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComSense View Post
Sugarloaf was the best thing about Clermont. I just hate that its all roof tops and cookie cutter homes atop the "hills" it has. It was unique to FL until then. Why not build in the flat areas and leave the "hills" as unique for the area and left alone?
Again, Sugarloaf was never part of Clermont. In fact to get to it you need to drive through another town from any point in Clermont. Why it shares an address is beyond me. Astatula is closer.

Old 12-08-2014, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GAtoFL View Post
Thanks for the input everyone. Are there any particular bad areas/crime/run down in Clermont to avoid? What is considered the best part of the 34711 zip to live in?

I've seen from other threads that crime isn't that bad.
There are a few areas around the downtown area that are less desirable, particularly right around Bloxom and 50 for a few blocks in any direction. It's pretty obvious driving around that area that it's not someplace to live if you have a choice. Best part for apartments would be Ones I mentioned earlier. For single family homes, Legends will have the most going in for families with a lot of recreation amenities and activities. There are a ton of other neighborhoods that are Good, a lot will depend in your price point.

Quote:
It seems like there is quite a lot going on and a lot of amenities for a 30-40 minute extended suburb of a large city. I live in what would be a rough equivalent in the Atlanta area (although probably more like half the population of Clermont) and the types of stores, restaurants and events just pales in comparison. Probably what Clermont was like before the spike in growth. I don't like insulated towns/small cities though so just needed to find out if Clermont was one of these generic towns with not much going for them other than they afford cheap housing for commuters, or a town that is isolated (whether geographically or by choice by the populous), or one of those old towns wary of outsiders.
Because so many people here are transplants and more progressive people took control of the City Council a couple years ago, the area has really come along with all sorts of great changes. We are really excited about all if it. Newcomers are very welcomed, as about half of the residents are originally from other areas. I've been seeing a HI license tag in a car a lot the past few weeks.

We also have a community theater run by passionate people who take great pride in their productions and usually produce 1-3 family oriented shows a year.

Quote:
I do value having the day to day stuff nearby which Clermont seems to have. I work from home so don't have to worry about commuting and we are not worried about schools right now other than wanting to be in an area that attracts families. I'm trying to find a place within 30 minutes of Disney or so as we wanted to spend some time there and I imagine anything further away will just mean us not visiting much. Of course there are plenty of other things we like to do but we don't mind traveling to those for infrequent "days out" like to the beach , interesting festivals or to the downtown/Winter Park areas.
There are many Disney employees living in this area, and the parks are about 30 minutes give or take.

let me know if you have any other specific questions.

Old 12-09-2014, 07:47 AM

8,963 posts, read 8,916,759 times
i remember when clermont was a cool, rural town with "hills." now its still kinda nice, overall its still safe, etc. but like anything, it changed a lot and its kind of ur typical FL suburban town with shopping, cookie cutter homes, more shopping centers, gas stations, etc.

Old 12-09-2014, 12:49 PM

12,135 posts, read 16,126,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ComSense View Post
i remember when clermont was a cool, rural town with "hills." now its still kinda nice, overall its still safe, etc. but like anything, it changed a lot and its kind of ur typical FL suburban town with shopping, cookie cutter homes, more shopping centers, gas stations, etc.
That is called sprawl. People bailed out of Orlando but wanted to keep their jobs. Clermont - nice place.

Old 12-09-2014, 02:11 PM

8,963 posts, read 8,916,759 times
yea, its alright.

Old 12-09-2014, 03:30 PM

148 posts, read 182,922 times
Okay thank you everyone again.

If you could do/see just 3 things in Clermont to get a good idea of what it is like and sell the area to me what would you see/do. I'd like to see one of the main parks/water areas.

Old 12-09-2014, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GAtoFL View Post
Okay thank you everyone again.

If you could do/see just 3 things in Clermont to get a good idea of what it is like and sell the area to me what would you see/do. I'd like to see one of the main parks/water areas.
Start at Waterfront Park and walk along the Lakeshore all the way to Lake Hiawatha Preserve park.
The Arts and Rec Center (on the southbound side of Route 27 about three miles S of Route 50)
Third really depends on your other interests... Maybe have a meal at one of the locally owned restaurants?

Old 12-09-2014, 05:32 PM

3 posts, read 4,418 times
I just accepted a job offer in Clermont. Spent 4 days there last week. Drove around North to South to East and West. Mt. Dora and Tavares were a little too small town for me. Windemere was nice. Was not impressed with Winter Haven at all. Clermont has it all for me. Small town feel without small town lack of resources. I love having all the lakes in the area, the rolling hills, the genuine "niceness" of all the people I encountered.

I am relocating from very very northern Illinois and will be glad to have no more cold, snow, ice!! One question I have is what lakes are the best for fishing? Can you swim in any of the lakes?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando