Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2014, 02:20 PM

2,563 posts, read 6,058,038 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
I don't get the infatuation with Orlando. If you're just looking for a "lower level job" while attending college what is that you suppose Orlando has that's so exciting over a much larger city such as Charlotte? You say there's nothing exciting about Charlotte, so what exactly do you perceive that Orlando will provide someone making $9 an hour in a part-time job while attending college versus Charlotte??
Or Atlanta where s/he'd get in-state tuition for that matter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2014, 02:27 PM

17,155 posts, read 15,373,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Black_Sheep3 View Post
I know that Orlando has low level service jobs and SA and Orlando grew alot too. But they are not nearly as large as Atlanta, im looking to downsize, and as I said all I need is a low level job, Im gonna be a fulltime student, I wont even have time for a real job, I just need to make enough to pay my friend/roommate every month, can afford that on part time low level job. Trust me im aware of tough job economies, we were homeless for a whole year here in Atlanta, dont gotta tell me its tough out here, why do you think im trying to move to better my life? Sucks living like this. I feel like a Black Sheep. I want a home too... T_T

:[
Moving to Orlando isn't much of a "downsize."
The Orlando-Tampa area is roughly the size of Metro Atlanta in terms of land area, and the population of the area is roughly that of Metro Atlanta. Expect more of the same you'd see in Atlanta: Major traffic jams, endless urban sprawl, crime, etc.

If you're looking to downsize, Orlando is definitely not the place for you. If you MUST be in Florida, maybe Ocala or Gainesville?

Old 12-15-2014, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal352 View Post
Moving to Orlando isn't much of a "downsize."
The Orlando-Tampa area is roughly the size of Metro Atlanta in terms of land area, and the population of the area is roughly that of Metro Atlanta. Expect more of the same you'd see in Atlanta: Major traffic jams, endless urban sprawl, crime, etc.

If you're looking to downsize, Orlando is definitely not the place for you. If you MUST be in Florida, maybe Ocala or Gainesville?
Since when is Tampa and Orlando considered one metropolitan area?

Old 12-15-2014, 02:46 PM

BlackSheep --- I just saw your post in the City vs City forum where you mention being a black atheist. It's bad enough being an atheist in Central Florida, I wouldn't want to be black as well. I'm not even sure where to suggest though because smaller the city, the more conservative it tends to be. This is White Christian Country, anyone who says otherwise is lying either to you or to themselves. The only place that I could think of which you might actually like a lot is Ft. Lauderdale.

Old 12-15-2014, 02:51 PM

17,155 posts, read 15,373,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EndersDrift View Post
Since when is Tampa and Orlando considered one metropolitan area?
It's not. I'm just comparing population per land area.
OP won't find much of a difference in population density by moving to Orlando.
The Orlando-Tampa is roughly the size of Metro Atlanta. Comparing strictly Orlando itself to Metro Atlanta isn't really a fair comparison, as ones land area is just that much bigger. To gain a better scope of the picture, one should look at the 8000 square miles around Orlando, which will, in this case, includes Tampa.

BTW, it is often referred to as Orlampa. Slowly but surely, it is, indeed, becoming one massive metropolis.

Tampa metro area: 2,554.5 sq mi
Orlando Metro area: 4,012 sq. mi.

That's still a smaller area than Greater Atlanta. The two metros are directly adjacent. Comparing Orlando-Tampa to Greater Atlanta is a fair comparison in displaying similarities in size/population for the area.

Old 12-15-2014, 03:45 PM

1,905 posts, read 2,789,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Black_Sheep3 View Post
Hey guys, Im a long time ATL resident and Im looking to make my first major move. I am not having much success keeping up with the faster pace ATL is going towards. Ontop of the fact its getting more expensive and has lost its essence to me, it no longer feels like my home anymore because its so many people moving here... And our job economy continues to stay bad, and population growth isnt making it better. So Im mainly moving here, or SA to wind down in a smaller city and get some work. Just a basic job. As soon as I move here or there.. Im enrolling in Community College, Im 20 so Im not moving some family with me or anything. Just me. I have a friend in both these cities and they both said I can room with them so finding a place isnt the issue.

Well, basically my Mom told me she wanted me to go to Florida cause its all nice and Florida-ey I guess, and she was gonna move down to MIA for work. So I KNEW I wasnt gonna like living in no Miami(yuck), so I researched here, plus I have a friend here. Ive been looking into this city for weeks now, and basically, I just need to know what you guys think about the people, quality of life, oh and how good/bad is the public transit cause I dont have a car. Also, both Orlando and San Antonio have good job markets, however SA's is a bit stronger *cough*Texas*cough*, but either would suffice, but naturally me getting a job as soon as I move here or there is a priority so... Basically I think I could get on my feet faster in SA, but in Orlando my Mom would be happier cause Im closer to Atlanta(shes staying) and she likes Florida alot more for me.

I know I like the sound of Valencia College alot more, and if it sucks, it cant be any worse than Georgia Perimeter, so trust me im not afraid of a bad CC, lol Of course, my friend and Mom makes Orlando sound much flashier and better quality of life than SA. (Florida) But my priority is just getting my education and working, but I wouldnt mind it if it really is that nice here. And of course, its reeaaallll toursity (funny cause both these cities are, oh and both are 'countdown cities 210 area code in SA and 321 in Orlando, weird huh?) but do you see alot of tourists on the East Side by like Union park? And are they really a bother?

So what can you guys tell me about Orlando, and well, does anyone have any knowledge about San Antonio to compare also? Also this is kind of a Florida vs Texas education comparison too cause Im planning to stay in either of these cities till im done with CC(2 years) thus ill be a Florida/Texas resident.

//www.city-data.com/forum/san-a...s-orlando.html

San Antonio forum post incase you guys are curious.
I wouldn't just limit myself to Orlando either however contrary to the naysayers its a nice place to live. A lot more stable feeling than SA without being so close to the border. Its a college town so plenty people your age will be here and for the most part people are friendly here. Its getting crowded and busier as time passes on so be prepared for more growth but not like Atlanta. I would say give it a chance because personally I feel like you would be happier here than SA. Jobs are plentiful because of the tourist industry and also its economy is diversifying so you can start your career here. This a lot better than those depressing old places up north with no growth or economy.

Old 12-15-2014, 04:11 PM

4,167 posts, read 9,337,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal352 View Post
It's not. I'm just comparing population per land area.
OP won't find much of a difference in population density by moving to Orlando.
The Orlando-Tampa is roughly the size of Metro Atlanta. Comparing strictly Orlando itself to Metro Atlanta isn't really a fair comparison, as ones land area is just that much bigger. To gain a better scope of the picture, one should look at the 8000 square miles around Orlando, which will, in this case, includes Tampa.

BTW, it is often referred to as Orlampa. Slowly but surely, it is, indeed, becoming one massive metropolis.

Tampa metro area: 2,554.5 sq mi
Orlando Metro area: 4,012 sq. mi.

That's still a smaller area than Greater Atlanta. The two metros are directly adjacent. Comparing Orlando-Tampa to Greater Atlanta is a fair comparison in displaying similarities in size/population for the area.
It's actually just called the I-4 corridor but you make many good points. I was down in South Florida last week for work, a metro of really 3 metros put together. As I drove along I-95 I couldn't help but think that one day in the near future all of I-4 from Tampa Bay to Daytona will likely be one big metro. For all practical purpose Central Florida is already everything from Osceola to the south all the way to Daytona to the North. Tampa Bay spreads further and further east, eventually it'll all just be one big metro. I just hope we're smart enough to grow responsibly.

Old 12-15-2014, 05:32 PM

98 posts, read 142,867 times
That is ridiculous! Who cares what race or religion he is, he is young and in college. I am not sure when you went to college but nowadays they are some of the most liberal places to be. He does not have a family yet.

Old 12-15-2014, 07:54 PM

305 posts, read 416,680 times
Wow this took a odd turn, and Im not liking the vibe im getting from you guys so far... As in if I lived here right now, I wouldnt get along with most of you..

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
I don't get the infatuation with Orlando. If you're just looking for a "lower level job" while attending college what is that you suppose Orlando has that's so exciting over a much larger city such as Charlotte? You say there's nothing exciting about Charlotte, so what exactly do you perceive that Orlando will provide someone making $9 an hour in a part-time job while attending college versus Charlotte??
Im not, I want to go to SA moreso, my Mom is the one all sparkly eyed about me going to Orlando, and my sis, and its closer to ATL. My main point was if Orlando had what SA has to offer, why be further away/worry my Mom? I see its alot more to the picture... And I have never really experienced anything in Florida before, Central Florida just sounds more sexy than North Carolina I guess. But hey, like I said glamour and sexiness isnt my priority, and judging by these posts Im sure you guys dont want another person coming down here thinking theyre gonna live some tropical beach Floridan life of glamour or something. Im just a simple guy, just want to work, go to school, and do what I need to do/should be doing, I dont need all that, was mainly for my family, being here. But it sounds like you are pretty against me coming here though, either that or you dont like Orlando yourself. Basically said Orlando doesnt have much compared to Charlotte.

Quote:
Or Atlanta where s/he'd get in-state tuition for that matter.
Quote:
BlackSheep --- I just saw your post in the City vs City forum where you mention being a black atheist. It's bad enough being an atheist in Central Florida, I wouldn't want to be black as well. I'm not even sure where to suggest though because smaller the city, the more conservative it tends to be. This is White Christian Country, anyone who says otherwise is lying either to you or to themselves. The only place that I could think of which you might actually like a lot is Ft. Lauderdale.
Oh boy, saying the only place Id fit in FL is Ft Lauderdale... yuck. Im not feeling to good about this thought anymore. I mean Im just gonna be in school not like im gonna be protesting and stuff, plus, Orlando had a die-in for that black-guys-getting shot unarmed thingy or whatever(which is dumb, people will always act that way towards us, how many decades are people gonna try to change this race view thing, its been set in stone for ages now? Plus acting like bafoons all the time isnt helping our image.), cant be TOO conservative and Christian. But hey man, I dont wanna go anywhere people dont want transplants, Im dealing with that here in ATL, I know how it feels.
And Ive already explained why i want to leave Atlanta, Im willing to sacrifice in state tuition to get more opportunity/ a change of pace in my life. Plus, my EFC is 0 anyways. Tired f living under my Mom with literally nothing positive going in my life, I want to leave and go headfirst into changing my own life for myself. Im 20, shouldnt still be living under Mom. Shameful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fl1150 View Post
I wouldn't just limit myself to Orlando either however contrary to the naysayers its a nice place to live. A lot more stable feeling than SA without being so close to the border. Its a college town so plenty people your age will be here and for the most part people are friendly here. Its getting crowded and busier as time passes on so be prepared for more growth but not like Atlanta. I would say give it a chance because personally I feel like you would be happier here than SA. Jobs are plentiful because of the tourist industry and also its economy is diversifying so you can start your career here. This a lot better than those depressing old places up north with no growth or economy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klashea18 View Post
That is ridiculous! Who cares what race or religion he is, he is young and in college. I am not sure when you went to college but nowadays they are some of the most liberal places to be. He does not have a family yet.
Yeah... I dont think Id fit in well here, Im kinda the exact opposite of what a Orlandoan is from what I have read so far, my Mom is just gonna have to deal with me not being closer, I think I should probably look into Charlotte before I look back into Orlando then, or just roll with SA. Atleast I know its alot of other people like me in SA, despite being close to the border. Just want to have some friends, go to class and work, didnt want to dive into such a different jungle. Like my name, I think Id be a Black Sheep in Orlando. As if I havent had enough of feeling that way.. And I surely dont like most Christians, some are nice, but man, I dont click well with most, guess its the fate for a black guy from the north.

Wether they just dont want people to come here, or what they say is true(most likely the case), it doesnt matter in my case, cause other cities they listed, and SA actually have stronger resources for what Im looking for so I dont lose anything important. Right now, jobs and education are vital in a American life. I can spare the beaches, pretty water and babes, those wont get me hired/into college. It just wouldve ben like putting a bow on a gift. Plus, seeing as a guy like me would have to go to Fort Lauderdale to fit in.. ugh.. misery to even think about, dont want to be that close to MIA, and Ive heard awful things about that place. So basically black open minded guys suck in Florida. Definteley not looking to walk into another stereotype, being Black in The A.T.L. ... had my share.

However thanks for you twos supportive posts about Orlando, and the other guys for telling the reality of it. I can kinda start to see why people say everything is bigger in Texas now though. If youre willing to work for it, that is.

Old 12-15-2014, 09:35 PM

4,167 posts, read 9,337,371 times
I think you received some bad advice based on some personal bias. I don't think you would be a black sheep here. There are over 100k students here between UCF, Valencia and Seminole State...I'm sure you could find a like minded group of peers. As far as Orlando being Christian conservative I highly doubt it's more religiously conservative than ATL, Texas or North Carolina. This board has gotten a little out of hand lately with the debates and just plain negativity. Please know it's not indicative of Central Florida is really like.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando