Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Moving to Florida: Orlando, job market, software engineer degree, contacts, information technology industry.

Old 01-05-2008, 08:26 PM

10 posts, read 32,437 times

Advertisements

All,

I am a software engineer, my wife an LPN (nurse), we have two children (elementary - middle) and are looking for a warmer climate. I am looking for information from people that are informed about the job market for programmers in the Orlando or Tampa areas. Also, which area would be better Tampa or Orlando? Keeping in mind that I am not looking to live in the city, I realize the city has crime. I live in the suburbs here I will live in them there. Sorry, I have just read so much bad about the city of Orlando that I can not believe people classify the whole surrounding area as bad because the inner city is going to hell.

Please give me sane and reasonable answers. Thank you ahead of time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2008, 10:43 PM

6 posts, read 18,016 times
Default Can you be more specific about your work

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwc0011 View Post
All,

I am a software engineer, my wife an LPN (nurse), we have two children (elementary - middle) and are looking for a warmer climate. I am looking for information from people that are informed about the job market for programmers in the Orlando or Tampa areas. Also, which area would be better Tampa or Orlando? Keeping in mind that I am not looking to live in the city, I realize the city has crime. I live in the suburbs here I will live in them there. Sorry, I have just read so much bad about the city of Orlando that I can not believe people classify the whole surrounding area as bad because the inner city is going to hell.

We have a great deal of contacts within the industry especially this sector but can your offer more information of your choosen area of expertise

Old 01-06-2008, 12:36 AM

135 posts, read 711,392 times
Quote:
All,

Well the truth is its not just the "inner city"(ie parramore, although there really isnt an inner city in the traditional sense) that is going to hell, rather its suburban areas that not too long ago used to be really nice. Over the time span of 2 yrs, murders increased 100%. There are still nice areas if you make enough money but they won't be far from the bad areas. Just come check the area out before moving and by that I don't mean visiting Disney.

Old 01-06-2008, 12:10 PM

Thanks for the input. Yes, we are planning on coming down, hopefully once a month for the next few months. We also have an issue of needing to sell a house up here first, so we are crossing our fingers that does not take forever. Are there good places between Tampa and Orlando and would it make commuting sense to locate yourself centrally between the two?

Up here I do software engineering on various government contracts. I noticed that there were plenty of the same companies there as well.

Thanks again for the replies, I look forward to hearing more.

Old 01-06-2008, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wendy Morris View Post
We have a great deal of contacts within the industry especially this sector but can your offer more information of your choosen area of expertise
I work on government contracts up here so I have worked on a lot of different things. I have mainly done application development on various platforms using Java and C++.

Old 01-06-2008, 12:20 PM

973 posts, read 2,229,118 times
Quote:
Thanks for the input. Yes, we are planning on coming down, hopefully once a month for the next few months. We also have an issue of needing to sell a house up here first, so we are crossing our fingers that does not take forever. Are there good places between Tampa and Orlando and would it make commuting sense to locate yourself centrally between the two?

Up here I do software engineering on various government contracts. I noticed that there were plenty of the same companies there as well.

Thanks again for the replies, I look forward to hearing more.
I work as a software engineer on a government contract on the far east side of Orlando. Many of these government jobs are located in and within a few miles of UCF's research park - L3 Communications, SAIC, Lockheed Martin, etc.

You'll probably want to stay on the east side of town, and since you have kids, I'd stick with Seminole county for the much better school system. That'll put you in the Oviedo/Winter Springs area. Both have 417 pass through, which connects to 408, and 408 terminates IN UCF's research park. I live in Oviedo, but some of my coworkers live in the Avalon Park/Waterford area in east Orlando, and some live in Winter Springs. There are a few that commute from the Atlantic coast - Titusville, Merritt Island, Cocoa.. but I wouldn't advise that.. it's a bit of a drive and 50 can be horrible for traffic.

Are you looking for a new company or looking to relocate with your current company? What government clearances do you have? What experience? Keep in mind that salaries in this field are not as high as many other parts of the country.. so expecting near $100k with less than at least 10 years of experience isn't at all likely to happen. There are a few generous companies, but finding and landing a job with them can be very difficult. A few coworkers have relocated to relatively lower-cost areas (Oklahoma City, Austin, St. Louis, Knoxville, Charlotte, Charleston) and made the same or more money than they could get here. Having specific experience on certain programs can help land the right job, but having UCF's CS grads coming out for jobs every year makes this a competitive market among future employees.

Old 01-06-2008, 12:42 PM

1,475 posts, read 2,555,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ucfjtm View Post
Keep in mind that salaries in this field are not as high as many other parts of the country.. so expecting near $100k with less than at least 10 years of experience isn't at all likely to happen.
Do you happen to know what a developer with 12 years experience using CodeGear's Delphi product can make?

Old 01-06-2008, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ucfjtm View Post
Are you looking for a new company or looking to relocate with your current company? What government clearances do you have? What experience? Keep in mind that salaries in this field are not as high as many other parts of the country.. so expecting near $100k with less than at least 10 years of experience isn't at all likely to happen. There are a few generous companies, but finding and landing a job with them can be very difficult. A few coworkers have relocated to relatively lower-cost areas (Oklahoma City, Austin, St. Louis, Knoxville, Charlotte, Charleston) and made the same or more money than they could get here. Having specific experience on certain programs can help land the right job, but having UCF's CS grads coming out for jobs every year makes this a competitive market among future employees.
Looking to move to a new company. I have TS/SCI and 2 and a half years experience, before college I was military, doing an unrelated profession. I understand that the pay is a bit difference then up here ,but according to salary.com and a few other sites, the difference is not that huge, but the cost of living in MD is ridiculous. We are needing the nice weather and want an area that would be good for the kids and just as important as getting a good education we want them to be safe at school as well. Unfortunately like I said before I have to sell a house here, which I do not have a lot of equity in, barely enough to break even if that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando