Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2008, 04:18 PM

1,781 posts, read 6,961,391 times

Advertisements

'Father' Of Downtown Orlando Set To Reopen Cheyenne Saloon - News Story - WFTV Orlando

Wonder if this is the beginning of a comeback? I think church street station closing was one of the worst things to happen to downtown we had life downtown back then.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2008, 05:06 PM

6 posts, read 14,369 times
Smile Hope so

The Cheyenne was such a neat place to go especially for big Church street events !! It will be nice for it to be back especially pretty much the way it was originally !!!!!

Tony B
Moderator cut: website

Last edited by Keeper; 01-05-2008 at 07:10 AM..

Old 01-04-2008, 06:25 PM

135 posts, read 711,317 times
lou pearlman was the worst thing to happen to church street station

Old 01-04-2008, 08:45 PM

169 posts, read 655,667 times
What a dumb idea, to try and bring something back that died out years ago. This town needs fresh ideas not an attempt to recapture the past.

Old 01-04-2008, 09:01 PM

135 posts, read 711,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kinglouix View Post
What a dumb idea, to try and bring something back that died out years ago. This town needs fresh ideas not an attempt to recapture the past.
like what, club paris???

it died years ago because of neglect

Old 01-04-2008, 10:33 PM

57 posts, read 168,665 times
the same person that claims the city has no history, gets upset at the fact of bringing something back and says we shouldn't recapture the past?? Um...are u contradicting urself? Kinglouix are u just angry and want to be negative? Or do u actually just get a kick out of pissing people off with ur pessimistic comments...lol

Old 01-05-2008, 06:49 AM

169 posts, read 655,667 times
No, I don't I try to be a realist, and if anyone thinks that Cheyenne Saloon is going to restore Church Street their living in the past. I have several incredible ideas that would make downtown viable that are obvious but the people here are too stupid to consider.
1) Connect the light rail from downtown to the airport, that would make downtown accessible to out of towners and tourists which might actually make business people consider downtown as an option
2) Don't build the new venues in the Ghetto West of 4, this eliminates the possibility of downtown thriving as a result of the new venues. If the venues were in better areas, like slightly North of Town, then restaurants and bars that last might actually thrive and downtown would benefit from the thousands of people going to these venues, actually eating and spending time at these venues other than (dodging the homeless) to get to there cars.
3) Spend the millions of dollars a year wasted on the Lynx system to beautify downtown. The idea was if people could get around for free restaurants would open and flourish. That won't happen but if they did 1 and 2 on my list it would. We are in an energy crisis, how can a city justify spending millions of dollars a year on gas to transport the homeless from nowhere to nowhere, especially when you can walk in 15 minutes anywhere on the Lynx route. The free Lynx also creates traffic by eliminating viable roads and parking downtown, thus discouraging people from driving into town and adding to pollution.
4) Eliminate the tolls by raising the tourist tax. Do we really think Harold Rosen is going to go broke by having to charge $5 a night more for a hotel room. Obviously not, if Disney can flourish by charging $74 a ticket. This would reduce traffic, and encourage more people to drive into downtown. Not to mention the citizens of Orlando are getting screwed. Notice how Disney has a direct toll free highway from the airport to Disney. Defending the defenseless is not progress, maybe if we had a hell of a lot of people complaining about what obviously needs to be fixed, instead of trying to pretend this cesspool is paradise, it could possibly be a viable place to live.

Sometimes admitting one is wrong is the only way to move forward. Every progressive successful city in the country, learned the hard lesson that venues in the ghetto does not restore those areas. Doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results is the definition of insanity.

Maybe if someone was negative about the dumb mistakes they keep making here, this would be a better place.

Old 01-05-2008, 08:32 AM

1,781 posts, read 6,961,391 times
As negative as king is some of his ideas seem good IMO and I have often thought of the same things making the city better. But like he hinted to something is wrong with the government in this city, it doesn't seem like they care.

Orlando could be a great city but something is halting the progress to that day.

Old 01-05-2008, 10:16 AM

765 posts, read 2,637,323 times
I also agree with King's ideas. If they were done right, this could be a great city. We also need to do things to attract large corporations and to make it attractive for them to move their corporate headquarters here, thus bringing with them better quality, good paying jobs.

Old 01-05-2008, 12:18 PM

973 posts, read 2,228,811 times
I agree with everything King said except eliminating tolls. Tolls serve two purposes: to add to the city's coffers, and to keep the traffic on these toll roads tolerable. How busy would 408 be if it were free? It'd be MUCH worse than I-4. People living on the east side of town already spend at least 45 minutes driving the 10 mile stretch to and from work downtown, and removing tolls would bring that road to a standstill. For Orlando to remove tolls, they need to double the number of lanes on quite a few roads, notably 408 from 50 in the east to Hiawasee in the west, the I-4 area from Lake Mary to Davenport, 528 from I-4 to the airport, and 417 from 528 to Winter Springs. The last thing I'd want is for 408 to be like Colonial/50 at all times of the day, and that's another road that needs twice as many lanes from Ocoee all the way to the 50/520 intersection.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando