Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2007, 09:38 AM

70 posts, read 354,904 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by beenaround View Post
I just don't get it. People move to a place knowing their salary will be lower and then complain about it later. I mean, was it a shock that you're salary was lower? Did you do research before you moved? I just don't get.
You want to know the funny thing... I did some research and my job actually pays 10 to 20k more in Florida... lol Go figure...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2007, 04:09 PM

4 posts, read 14,603 times
I am in the same boat as you. I came from NJ 3 years ago with a hefty bank account. Well now I am almost in foreclosure and can't afford my bills here. I have NEVER been late on a bill before. I came here working as a Pharmacy Tech. I had to accept a low hourly rate just to get the job. I was treated like crap so I got my Mortgage Broker's License. That didn't pan out because companies in FL want you to work on Commission Only. Now that the market is slow...I am out of a job and haven't received a paycheck in about 4 months. NO JOKE! I am looking to go to Nursing School, but I can't afford it. I'm actually looking for 2 jobs just to survive.

Enough about me...You should go back as soon as you can. Florida has nothing to offer...Salaries are low, homes aren't cheap anymore, food and clothing works out to be the same. So I say RUN! Good Luck!

Old 01-24-2007, 04:12 PM

4 posts, read 14,603 times
That is what I thought too...That my job would pay more. Until I got to the table after I moved here. That is when I found out that my pay was significantly lower.

Old 04-24-2008, 02:03 PM

1 posts, read 2,621 times
Angry All that glitters is not gold

About 8 months ago my husband and I decided to move our family to sunny Florida. We sold our business up north packed up the family and headed south. With over $400,000 we figured we would buy a small business and live comfortably. Were we ever wrong!! Within 8 months we have bought a business, lost a business and our home is practically in foreclosure. I am in the process of moving my family back to NY again. I HIGHLY recommond you do your research if you plan to move to Central Florida I WISH I HAD. Specially if you plan to open a business in Orlando. You can certainly loose your shirt and your shorts. Fortunatly, for us we kept our home up north and plan to return to it. Most people aren't that lucky. Sunshine and nice weather does not feed the family. I'll keep as a vacation state!!!

Old 04-24-2010, 09:28 PM

6 posts, read 18,154 times
ok here's the deal I'm a SBF w/2 teenage boys very active in sports leaving bflo. to move to fl. let me give you a brief on bflo. ny - no jobs, no $, no advancement, worst place to live in AMERICA, crime rate is ridiculous and the school system is the worst in AMERICA, taxes are ridiculous and the state of ny as a whole is just bad. The city of bflo. has been on a down turn for SEVERAL yrs. now and honestly it will take @least another 10-15 for it to be half way decent, and I don't have that kind of time...did my research and winter park seems to be a good place for me & my 2 teenage sons to relocate to also checked out wphs and they've seemed to maintain a A+ school rating since 02'. my question is, is winter park a diverse area??? I'd prefer to live in a multi-cultural area but I don't want to lack in community safety and quality schools to do that...insight please.

Old 04-25-2010, 06:39 AM

140 posts, read 301,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjcorleon View Post
I am a 28 year old professional female with a college degree in business management. i have a 9 year old son and I've been in orlando florida for almost three years and nothing has changed. There are no advancements, little opportunities, jobs do not pay much and if you do work for a good company and they decide to get rid of you one day, you have no say being that this a right to work state.crime rate isn't a mickey mouse fairy tale. in homocide cases this year alone has gone up by 50 something people killed, not by natural death. Car jacking is crazy, sexual predators are on the loose more than flies. They say food is cheaper, not true, quality clothing cheap, not true unless you want a closet full of walmart stuff. seriously this state is good for retired individuals,or people fresh of the islands, that settle for low paying jobs and are happy . or if you have a phat bank account to enjoy it here. because if the money is good you live good anywhere. i met my boyfriend here he is also from NY and thinks the same. his income is much more in ny than here. he moved here to see what florida had to offer which turned out to be not to much. so with that said we been considering on moving back. he is originally from long island and i'm from the bronx we were thinking maybe a place with 2 bedrooms in long island or a quiet place in queens or the bronx.
you are not the first... not the last.. I did the same. Move to FL from NY, then 2 yrs ago move back to NY. I am very happy where I am right now.. in Queens!

Old 04-25-2010, 07:37 AM
grant516

n/a posts
holy thread ressurrection batman!

Winter Park is not really that diverse, no. Mostly upper/middle class white folk.

Wonder what ever happened to the OP.

Old 04-25-2010, 07:39 AM

2,727 posts, read 6,153,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beenaround View Post
I just don't get it. People move to a place knowing their salary will be lower and then complain about it later. I mean, was it a shock that you're salary was lower? Did you do research before you moved? I just don't get.

I honestly don't get it either..............

Old 04-25-2010, 08:08 AM

36 posts, read 171,951 times
My family and i ( me, daughter & husband) just moved from NY to Fl in the summer of 2009. While i must say it has been a little bit of an adjustment i think we are holding up just fine. My husband took a 20,000 pay cut and i took nearly a 10,000 cut but for the piece of mind and the beautiful area in which we live now it is so worth it. My daughter is 16 years old and yes she misses brooklyn from time to time and the public transportation but she is also looking forward to getting her license and driving this year. With all of the ups and downs that may come, you just have to go back to what made you leave Ny for orlando in the first place and just do the best you can to make it work. I think alot of people get confused with ny because while you are making more money you are also paying more taxes and rents just went up again. I really don't want to go back to ny paying 1500.00 for a 3 bedroom aprtment .

Old 04-25-2010, 08:09 AM

36 posts, read 171,951 times
I agree 100 %
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando