Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2015, 08:13 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,038,899 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal352 View Post
Exactly. Why do those who have such a vendetta against Orlando assume we're stuck here just because we like it? How would one be "stuck" here anyway?
I'm not from here, but I chose to live here because I'm comfortable in the Orlando area. I have no reason to move.
Same here. In the past three years I've vacationed in Europe and French Polynesia for a total of over four weeks. I've been to California seven times, and another 20+ states as well. I live here out of choice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2015, 08:18 AM

24,407 posts, read 26,951,108 times
People will say the most ridiculous things to make themselves feel better, when in reality it just makes them look sad and desperate. The only person that complains non-stop about an ex bf/gf are ones that are very bitter. I imagine the same applies to those who proactively go out of their way to make their hatred for a certain place public too.

Old 01-20-2015, 08:23 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,038,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post
People will say the most ridiculous things to make themselves feel better, when in reality it just makes them look sad and desperate. The only person that complains non-stop about an ex bf/gf are ones that are very bitter. I imagine the same applies to those who proactively go out of their way to make their hatred for a certain place public too.
Well said. I think most of the people who hate this area came with their problems on their back thinking they would mysteriously disappear in the sunshine and then got ticked when that didn't happen.

Old 01-20-2015, 01:58 PM

8,963 posts, read 8,918,308 times
^^ I think this does happen a lot. I ike FL, I just wish it was the same as it was when I was a kid. But overall, still in my top 5 states to live in.

Old 01-20-2015, 02:06 PM

605 posts, read 711,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ComSense View Post
^^ I think this does happen a lot. I ike FL, I just wish it was the same as it was when I was a kid. But overall, still in my top 5 states to live in.
There is probably nowhere that is the same as "when we were kids". I know where we live is completely different now as well. I probably wouldn't hate where I am so much if it hadn't changed so much. I'm sure many of us from all over could say that.

I think with regard to moving there, it will be to our benefit not knowing "how it used to be". Nothing to compare it to, and we'll just have to judge it based on its current merits. Which is probably how people who move here new don't hate it like we do.

Looks like we all just need to get up and "trade places". LOL

Old 01-16-2016, 08:17 AM

78 posts, read 181,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal352 View Post
Same can be said about virtually any overhyped city...

Mention NYC to a small-town southerner, and they may think that it's all glamor and 60-story condos surrounded by 5th Ave/type shopping and fancy night clubs.

Mention Orlando to a New Yorker, and they'll imagine palm trees, disney, lush, green terrain and happiness all over.

Mention Miami to anyone from up North, and they may think everything looks like South Beach, or that everyone lives in celebrity-style mansions.

Mention Atlanta to any naive follower of rap, and they may think that ALL of Atlanta is riddled with gangstas and strippers. Better yet, mention "Buckhead," and they'll have visuals of Bloods and Crips living a glorified street life.

It's like that everywhere. When choosing a place to lay your head, be realistic of expectations. Do your homework. I think Orlando and surrounding is ideal to raise a family. There are LOTS of family-oriented things to do here -- I'll say, more so than virtually anywhere else I've been. (By Orlando, I'm also including surrounding areas: 2 hour radius.)
Absolutely. I live outside of Richmond, VA now, from NJ. When moving, we imagined the downtown area, and the trees, and the lower housing cost. Reality strikes after the move, no matter where you move..no amount of research will tell you what your neighbors will be like, or how you'll feel, day to day.

I was hoping for more warmth (dreaming of Florida, but hey, this is where the job is). It's ever so slightly warmer, but so.much.rain. The trees are nice (until you have to rake them). Lots of restaurants (but the restaurant tax means we don't go out as much as we did in NJ!).

There is always going to be a difference in dreams and reality, and I think it takes a long time to make the transition. You can try and make it easier with a ton of research, and lots of visits, but there will always be a difference.

For example, school scores cannot tell you the entire story! (We had a much better experience at a lower rated school in NJ then a 9/10 school in VA!).

Old 01-17-2016, 05:51 AM

3,977 posts, read 8,173,152 times
I have always believed that boring starts with the person. Objects, people , places cannot change who you are yourself. You have to do that and you have to be open to explore, learn, and spend time with yourself to be a happy person anywhere you live.
Expecting a place to entertain you instead of becoming a part of that place by joining and volunteering in the community is where some go wrong. They don't give it a chance and want things instantly instead of taking the time to grow so they always think somewhere else will be better.

How anyone can be bored being a parent is beyond me. We had a harder time finding down time than finding things to do. I think it is sort of like the people who tour the Disney parks at the commando pace running from ride to ride and missing everything that is between the 2 places. They forget to take the time "and smell the flowers".

Old 01-17-2016, 10:09 AM

1,284 posts, read 3,896,512 times
Somebody being bored somewhere is subjective but Orlando is definitely one of the places its harder to be bored at.I live in Miami and while I know its not the worst place to live at,I definitely get bored here,I'm not a beach guy,I'm not a club guy,8 months out of the year doing outdoor things like going out for a bike ride will wipe you out from the heat,this is why there are so many malls here and why they're always full,that's pretty much what people do here.I may be an adult but I enjoy the theme parks and everything Orlando offers more now than when I was a kid,like I do 10-12 trips a year to Orlando spending 35-40 days out of the year here,it's almost like I'm a part time resident.Between all the festivals at the parks and special events like the Disney races or the halloween events and holiday celebrations there's always something going on at the parks.With that said the more you go the more you start to explore areas outside the parks even if to just get something to eat.Since I've gotten more into doing these races this year I barely signed up for any south Florida races and I'm doing a bunch of Central Florida ones,Space Coast and Disney and like in 2 weeks I'm doing the Celebration one and another one in Downtown in March,mostly to try new things and see which ones I like.If you like concerts all the parks have festivals with concerts and between February and May they're like non stop,Flower and Garden festival at Epcot,Food and Wine festival at Busch Gardens,Bands Brew and BBQ at Sea World,Mardi Gras at Universal,its pretty much one after another,if you're adventurous you can do multiple concerts in one day hopping from a Sea World one to the Universal one in Mardi Gras or an Epcot one.Like I said its all subjective but while I get bored in South Florida it would be a lot harder for me to get bored in Orlando,I honestly enjoy it more now than when I was 10 as there's just more to offer than just the rides at the parks.

Old 01-17-2016, 11:29 AM

6,420 posts, read 6,523,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drone Guy View Post
We've lived here for a while now and we've grown very bored of Orlando and the surrounding areas.

We've got 2 kids and a 3rd on the way.... how many times can you go to the theme parks before you just pull your hair out.

Are we missing something....

Looking at moving out to California where there seems to be non stop things to do for families, adults and kids alike.

Any thoughts?
dont the theme parks do discounts for local residents? I always thought Floridian residents got cheaper rates for the theme parks. What about Orlando City and the Magic? Cocoa Beach? Orlando has nothing fun to do?

Old 01-17-2016, 06:24 PM

605 posts, read 711,754 times
We do lots of stuff that have nothing to do with the theme parks. We go fishing, go to concerts/shows, farmer's markets, walking, biking, mini-golfing, and I could go on. Plenty more to do here than the midwest, that's for sure. We do the theme parks/water parks too, so that really gives us plenty to do!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando