Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2015, 01:00 PM

17,182 posts, read 15,382,471 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
What does that have to do with schools? Nothing. To get to that planned community you have to fight miserable traffic through craptastic neighborhoods. Yup, everyone wants to live there. NOT--otherwise it would have sold out long ago and have zero inventory instead of desperate real estate agents pushing it off as Mecca.
This.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2015, 01:45 PM

18 posts, read 25,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal352 View Post
This.
What??

Old 01-20-2015, 10:01 PM

536 posts, read 852,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
To get to that planned community you have to fight miserable traffic through craptastic neighborhoods. Yup, everyone wants to live there. NOT--otherwise it would have sold out long ago and have zero inventory instead of desperate real estate agents pushing it off as Mecca.
annerk needs to get a life (24,000+ posts??!!).

annerk's vitriolic posts insulting entire regions, communities, & local residents are ugly, misleading, & simply dishonest.

"Craptastic"???

Harmony is a beautiful golf course community in Osceola county.

There are custom homes, as well as affordable inventory homes from several quality builders.

It's out in the countryside, surrounded by lakes, just 10 minutes east of St Cloud.

It's a lovely straight shot ride over to Melbourne & the beach.

It's within 20 minutes of Medical City.

Orlando Intrnl Airport is about 25 minutes away, & you can be on the Turnpike, heading north or south within 15 minutes.

Old 01-21-2015, 05:03 AM

782 posts, read 1,368,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrokerHarry View Post
It's out in the countryside
*shudder* Thanks for the warning. Green Acres is not my kind of lifestyle.

Carry on, all.

Old 01-21-2015, 06:34 AM

But this is exactly the kind of towns I'm looking for.

I live in One of the biggest cities in PA on the outskirts near the suburbs and I would never want to live in the other busier sections of town. You can't unless you want to be surrounded with crime.

I'm also interested in hearing about Tavares and Howey in the Hills. Does anyone have information about these areas?

Thanks.

Old 01-21-2015, 06:59 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,038,899 times
Please note that Harry is a real estate broker who is trying to drum up business and is terrified of anyone who might offer the FACTS about the area he sells in. I, on the other hand, have nothing to do with real estate, mortgages, property inspection, or anything else related to buying, selling, and construction of homes.

Your choice--listen to the person with a vested interest that directly affects their wallet or the person who speaks the truth and has no horse in the race.

Old 01-21-2015, 07:22 AM

536 posts, read 852,513 times
I give my all my information, including links to my website, in my City-Data profile.

My picture, my licenses, professional certifications, plus many dozens of client testimonials are all there in my contact info for anyone interested in checking out my background & integrity.

I do my utmost to be considerate & non-judgmental, & restrict my comments to the community & areas where I actually reside, own property, & have expertise.

annerk hides behind an anonymous alternym while spewing negativity & nasty comments that are often patently false.

Old 01-21-2015, 07:59 AM

782 posts, read 1,368,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mlw71 View Post
But this is exactly the kind of towns I'm looking for.

I live in One of the biggest cities in PA on the outskirts near the suburbs and I would never want to live in the other busier sections of town. You can't unless you want to be surrounded with crime.

I'm also interested in hearing about Tavares and Howey in the Hills. Does anyone have information about these areas?

Thanks.
Crime is pretty much an equal-opportunity offender in Florida. You get crimes in the city, and you have places in the city with little to no crime. You get crimes in the rural districts, and you have places in the boonies with little to no crime. You get crime in the suburbs, and you have suburban locations with little to no crime. What is the norm in Florida is that the "high crime" and "low crime" areas are only separated by a couple of miles.

I've been through both Howey-in-the-Hills and Tavares years upon years ago…there really isn't anything there, so it isn't a place that most people stop to visit. (Case in point, Howey-in-the-Hills doesn't have a grocery store, unless you count a little mom-and-pop 7-11 type of place as a grocery store. But with a population less than 1,000 people, you don't need it. I want to say they had a traffic light in town, though…so it isn't the smallest town I've been through.) Tavares is ten times the size of Howey-in-the-Hills, and so it has things like a gas station and a grocery store.

The good news is, if you are the "right kind of folk", you probably could break in at either community, and as long as you don't tick off your neighbors, it would be a very close-knit type of community. If you offend the wrong person, you may be run out of town on the rail.

The things that stand out from the City-Data profiles:

Both places have high sex offender ratios, probably because housing is cheap and it is away from other places.

Tavares has a ratio of 548:1 for sex offenders (so on par with St. Cloud), and Howey-in-the-Hills has a ratio of 281:1. (The ratio for Howey-in-the-Hills is so bad because the population is so small -- there's only 4 sex offenders in the town, but when your population is so small, it skews the numbers.)

Crime is relatively low in both locations, again, because of the population being so small. Most of what you'll run into is people's houses being broken into.

Both Howey-in-the-Hills and Tavares would go to Tavares High School.

Here's the profiles for it:
Tavares High School in TAVARES, FL | Best High Schools | US News

Great Schools rates it a 5 out of 10
Tavares High School - Tavares, Florida - FL - School overview

School Digger rates it a 2 out of 5
Tavares High School in Tavares FL - SchoolDigger.com

In the end, if you want low crime, it is just a matter of looking at each individual community. If you want rural lifestyle, you can certainly find it. If you want good schools, you will need to be in at least the suburbs (and be selective about which suburbs).

So it is a matter of figuring out what matters most and going from there.

Old 01-21-2015, 08:17 AM

17,182 posts, read 15,382,471 times
Neighborhoods in Tavares past CR 561 going South on 19 are nice. The rest of the city isn't much to write home about.
Lake Harris is nice.

Old 01-21-2015, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EditorJul View Post
Crime is pretty much an equal-opportunity offender in Florida. You get crimes in the city, and you have places in the city with little to no crime. You get crimes in the rural districts, and you have places in the boonies with little to no crime. You get crime in the suburbs, and you have suburban locations with little to no crime. What is the norm in Florida is that the "high crime" and "low crime" areas are only separated by a couple of miles.

I've been through both Howey-in-the-Hills and Tavares years upon years ago…there really isn't anything there, so it isn't a place that most people stop to visit. (Case in point, Howey-in-the-Hills doesn't have a grocery store, unless you count a little mom-and-pop 7-11 type of place as a grocery store. But with a population less than 1,000 people, you don't need it. I want to say they had a traffic light in town, though…so it isn't the smallest town I've been through.) Tavares is ten times the size of Howey-in-the-Hills, and so it has things like a gas station and a grocery store.

The good news is, if you are the "right kind of folk", you probably could break in at either community, and as long as you don't tick off your neighbors, it would be a very close-knit type of community. If you offend the wrong person, you may be run out of town on the rail.

The things that stand out from the City-Data profiles:

Both places have high sex offender ratios, probably because housing is cheap and it is away from other places.

Tavares has a ratio of 548:1 for sex offenders (so on par with St. Cloud), and Howey-in-the-Hills has a ratio of 281:1. (The ratio for Howey-in-the-Hills is so bad because the population is so small -- there's only 4 sex offenders in the town, but when your population is so small, it skews the numbers.)

Crime is relatively low in both locations, again, because of the population being so small. Most of what you'll run into is people's houses being broken into.

Both Howey-in-the-Hills and Tavares would go to Tavares High School.

Here's the profiles for it:
Tavares High School in TAVARES, FL | Best High Schools | US News

Great Schools rates it a 5 out of 10
Tavares High School - Tavares, Florida - FL - School overview

School Digger rates it a 2 out of 5
Tavares High School in Tavares FL - SchoolDigger.com

In the end, if you want low crime, it is just a matter of looking at each individual community. If you want rural lifestyle, you can certainly find it. If you want good schools, you will need to be in at least the suburbs (and be selective about which suburbs).

So it is a matter of figuring out what matters most and going from there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal352 View Post
Neighborhoods in Tavares past CR 561 going South on 19 are nice. The rest of the city isn't much to write home about.
Lake Harris is nice.
Thank you both. This is definitely something to research more about.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando