Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2015, 08:29 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,020,627 times

Advertisements

I agree, just look in Lake Mary. Most schools here have no afterschool program. You would need to contract with a different provider--there are many from pre-schools to karate clubs that provide transportation. It's probably going to be pricier than you are used to though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2015, 05:11 PM

492 posts, read 1,024,749 times
The YMCA provides after care on-site at Hillcrest Elementary in downtown (and at other schools, I believe). It is very affordable at only $36 per week. They also work around school activities, such as art club and chorus, and will collect your child from the appropriate location at the school.

Old 01-20-2015, 10:56 AM

54 posts, read 81,351 times
I concur, start with looking in Lake Mary or Longwood. Keep in mind this is fairly equal distance to Daytona Beach, as the East side of Orlando is to Cocoa Beach.

Merritt Island is just to far of a drive to consider if you will be working in Lake Mary.
Here are the school rankings currently available for Seminole County http://www.scps.k12.fl.us/Portals/0/...de_Summary.pdf

I will say the expected road construction the next decade will make Interstate 4, something you want to avoid, all the more reason North of Downtown Orlando will be a sanity saver. (Altamonte Springs, Longwood, Lake Mary / Heathrow)
Altamonte Springs is a little more dense, with lots of rentals / apartments, shopping and entertainment, and would be in the middle of downtown Orlando and Lake Mary. Longwood and Lake Mary would be my preference if you asked me where I would suggest starting, but all are viable options. Altamonte Springs may be more competitive in pricing due to the density but with density also comes more traffic.

You could consider Oviedo, which is East of Lake Mary, still within Seminole County, but my experience suggest you avoid that if possible due to the love bugs and bugs that you will encounter crossing Lake Jessup on your travels to Lake Mary.
People do it everyday but I hated it. They can damage the paint on your car, and even cleaning your car every other day while being tedious and a pain is still not enough.
I did always like watching for gators out in Lake Jessup.... but I believe others here will agree about the bug situation crossing Lake Jessup. I used to take the long way home later in the day during love bug season to limit my exposure.

All of the above locations can be searched using the local MLS for rentals on condos or single family homes, or an apartment search would produce options with a basic internet search.

here is the link to find out which school serves specific addresses, once you find a property that you like you can verify which school your children will attend, then verify most recent ratings using the link above.

Brady Pevehouse

PS. nothing wrong with renting to become familiar with the area and ensure the job is satisfactory, as well as adjust financially to the area. The only caveat to that is the market risk in potentially missing out on great mortgage rates. If you were local now, or had family or friends here, I would likely suggest considering a purchase but as a newcomer getting your bearings with your family, renting is likely the wisest choice. Some apartments have can / will allow an early lease break with ample notice or have a home buyers option that gives you the ability to terminate your lease with certain provisions, in the event you get here, spend a few months then decide you would like to buy a home. Unfortunately homes with lease options are few and far between, and many land lords dislike renting to people who have 1 foot out the door. The cost to market / advertise and re-rent is a huge hit to their bottom line.

Old 01-22-2015, 10:31 AM

1 posts, read 585 times
ItSomeone moved his section 8 to florida?? Im moving next August 2015, I want to know how it works.

Old 01-22-2015, 11:09 AM

698 posts, read 959,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eagle519 View Post
ItSomeone moved his section 8 to florida?? Im moving next August 2015, I want to know how it works.
I'd suggest starting a new thread or doing a search on City Data, there was a recent post about section 8 housing. If it's a question for FL in general you might want to post to the FL forum and not the Orlando forum

Old 01-22-2015, 11:41 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,020,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eagle519 View Post
The wait list for Section 8 in this state is very long, with some areas not even accepting wait list people any more. You can transfer the voucher, but the benefit amount might be lower, as each state has it's own limits.

Typically the landlords willing to accept section 8 own properties in undesirable areas, and you would be responsible for finding your own housing, with no guarantee of availability.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando