U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2015, 12:53 PM

1,897 posts, read 2,323,542 times

Advertisements

I just laugh my way to the bank every time someone gets the urge to utter nonsense about a place they never even a gave a chance. So much for common sense because that's too hard to have you just go expecting NYC and leave disappointed wow what a shocker. How could it be that little ole Orlando not meet the largest city in the country level.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2015, 01:40 PM

4,167 posts, read 8,302,337 times
This is song sung too often. Many times people fall in love with their vacation experience and can't separate it from the reality of the situation. Even I'm guilty of this. Having just returned from San Diego/SoCal area I fell in love. The weather, the beautiful beaches, the mountains, the history, I was just wowed. Granted I been there a few times to visit family I really loved my experience this time, I was packed and ready to move (ok just mentally in my dreams but you get my point). Of course when I mention this to my cousin his very down to earth advice was, don't do it. My cousin loves SD/SC but was quick to point out, even with my job I won't be living in the Hills, La Jolla or anywhere near the beach for that matter unless I want to live with 4 other roommates. I won't be visiting Balboa Park and SD doesn't look like Balboa Park. Than he reminded how he even left SD for the dessert because he couldn't afford to live in SD anymore. So yes I got hit with a case of the grass is greener but was quickly brought back down to Earth. I'm sure it happened to the OP, many other people and will continue to happen as long as people think they're going to move here and it's going to be just like their vacation. Just from reading the post I would guess this person lives somewhere in the tourists corridor.

Old 01-21-2015, 02:12 PM

782 posts, read 1,191,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crane's Rooster View Post
Just from reading the post I would guess this person lives somewhere in the tourists corridor.
From stuff mentioned in another post by the OP, I believe they live out in Poinciana. So…

Old 01-21-2015, 02:17 PM

4,167 posts, read 8,302,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EditorJul View Post
From stuff mentioned in another post by the OP, I believe they live out in Poinciana. So…
Yup, explains alot.

Old 01-21-2015, 04:13 PM
PDF

11,386 posts, read 11,326,877 times
It honestly just sounds like the OP didn't do any research at all, and came to Orlando on a whim. And his expectations were also way out of line. By the way, he didn't mention Downtown Orlando even once. This has happened before, people move somewhere and don't check out everything the city has to offer and just stay in their own little bubble.

I'm considering a move to Orlando and am liking the idea of it more and more each day. I think people post on these forums to do research, maybe if the OP had done something like that beforehand instead of moving to Orlando on a whim.

Old 01-21-2015, 04:58 PM

20,535 posts, read 20,206,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by perpetualcaster View Post
high crime, high probability of being in a car accident (which translates into high insurance rates), high rent for low quality housing, low wages, zero culture, a near non-existent restaurant scene (unless Cracker Barrel is a "scene" to you), traffic, traffic, traffic, traffic...did I mention traffic?
Many of the cons you mentioned are reasons why I am moving BACK to Orlando.

High Crime - I found Orlando to be very safe. If you are in poverty, then yes high crime would be an issue. However, for the average middle class person or above, crime is much easier to avoid in Orlando than many major cities. The city is spread out, so crime doesn't spread as easily to nice areas unlike in San Francisco, Chicago, etc. Here in San Francisco you can't leave anything visible in your car, even a grocery bag or jacket. It doesn't really matter which neighborhood you are in, you could be surrounded by million dollar homes and the odds of your car being broken into is high if you leave things in your car. This wasn't a common occurrence in Orlando, unless you parked in downtown and even then the odds of your car being smashed because you left a sweater in the backseat is much more slim. Many of my friends have been mugged for their phones here in San Francisco, yet none of my friends in Orlando have had that happen despite me knowing a lot more people in Orlando. You can easily avoid crime ridden areas in Orlando, while in major urban cities the same cannot be said.

Car Accidents - I've never been in a car accident while driving anywhere, but I see your point is expensive insurance rates. I can tell you that insurance in San Francisco is much higher than Orlando because of all the car break-ins, street parking damage (people backing into your car when they parallel park) and poor road conditions (a local study showed residents pay $400 more in car maintenance compared to the national average here).

High Rent / Low Quality - This especially is the complete opposite to me lol. Rent in Orlando is cheap and the quality is high. Most developments, even the cheap ones have a pool, jacuzzi and community room. In San Francisco, you can easily pay $3,000 for a 1 bedroom and not have any amenities whatsoever and still be in an outdated building.

Low Wages - I agree with you here, but at the same time, the cost of living is much lower here too. Most young professionals in Orlando are still not forced to have multiple room mates in order to survive, unlike here.

Zero Culture - Culture is all relative, so I don't agree there.

No Restaurant Scene - I somewhat agree with you. I would change it to a limited restaurant scene. However, things are getting much better. My main issue is everything is spread out. Here in San Francisco I can get great any type of cuisine minutes from my house, where as in Orlando, you'll have to drive long distances between most restaurants. I love ethnic food and in Orlando most people think Chinese food is just Chinese food. In reality, there are so many different types of Chinese restaurants. In San Francisco, most people will never just say, let's get Chinese. They will say let's get hot pot, Szechwan, dim sum, Cantonese etc. It wasn't much better when I lived in South Florida either though.

Traffic - I actually find traffic in Orlando to be better than many major cities. You should see the traffic in the Bay Area, you would laugh at the traffic in Orlando.

Old 01-21-2015, 05:26 PM

25,187 posts, read 14,195,778 times
It is NOT every body's cup of tea- no problema- adios- see you when you visit the old folks- nobody is holding you here... I love it! and I don't live with Mickey

Old 01-22-2015, 10:43 AM

1,037 posts, read 737,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crane's Rooster View Post
This is song sung too often. Many times people fall in love with their vacation experience and can't separate it from the reality of the situation.
I totally agree,
It's easy to do, you're on vacation having a great time and casually pick up one those real estate flyers, next thing you know you're having a ridiculous conversation with your spouse about packing it all in. Most folks get a grip when they get back home.

Boulder Colorado is another place with "Dreamer Relocation Syndrome".
Until they get here and find out nicer homes in Boulder proper can easily run close to $300sqft.

Old 01-22-2015, 09:16 PM

146 posts, read 182,907 times
So many inaccuracies in your post it's not even funny. I live in Orlando. You're entitled to your opinion, but some of the things you mention are flat out nonsense.

You'd only have to drive up and down Mills Avenue, or take a trip to Thornton Park, to find a great food culture, and I can tell you, Cracker Barrel and Applebees it is not.

Culture? Orlando lacks culture the same way Las Vegas does. It was conquered, and subsequently grown around a very high profile tourist destination. This is not a very historical city. Much of Florida is like this. This state is built on tourism. The fact that you're 40 years old, and moved on a whim, likely knowing this, says more about you than it does about the city you moved to.

Traffic, I'm not even gonna get into. Who cares? Every major metro area has traffic and lots of it. Deal with it or move to the Ozarks.

Lastly, the crime. Oh for god's sake. THE CRIME.

Move to Los Angeles? There will be crime. Wanna avoid it? Move somewhere affordable and safe (it can be done!).

Move to New York? There will be crime. Wanna avoid it? Move somewhere affordable and safe (it can be done!).

Move to Miami? There will be crime. Wanna avoid it? Move somewhere affordable and safe (it can be done!).

So stop the whining and go grovel back to wherever you came from. Floridians put up with a lot of crap, not least of which are the whiners who move here expecting paradise and yachts only to find out that you have to make sacrifices like EVERYWHERE ELSE IN THE WORLD.

Just stop.

Old 01-22-2015, 11:27 PM

7,014 posts, read 4,394,554 times
^Oh, snap! Nail, meet head.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando