U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-07-2015, 08:54 PM

10 posts, read 22,927 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post
@Nothankyou: you said, "You stay in your corner and I'll stay in mine"

LOL, so what are you doing in the Orlando forum if that is the mentality you have?

You know, I guess you have a point. I guess I lived in Orlando so long and still have so many connections there, I feel like I can offer a valuable point of view because I come down for various reasons. I know the entire area very well, that's all. But you're right, although it was meant figuratively ( I'll stay here you stay there) I can see what you mean. Lol
Again, different strokes for different folks. I have no issues with people disagreeing with me... It's a free Country full of all these States, with pros and cons, it all comes down to what's important to you.
Of course where I live isn't perfect. The biggest difference and my biggest point was that, there is more "good area" to choose from where I live, and I feel more to offer to compensate for any of the bs. Orlando has some good areas, but they are sandwiched by terrible areas and terrible zoning, that's all. To me, the amount of bs residents put is way more than the benefits. My other point was there is also more to life than weather, which isn't that great down there in my opinion. The humidity will kill you, but that's just me.
Florida has great areas, none of which I have found in Central Florida that truly offer ( in my opinion) really cool things.. Florida is not for everyone, no place is..
In regards to CF I don't think it's ideal for schools and families. IT IS ideal for investors, renters and tourists,etc. To me, there is no sense of real community in CF, especially. It's all good. I was just sharing my view. Peace!!!!
I know I write emphatically some times, but it isn't meant to come across personally! It's all just opinions. Different ones.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2015, 09:24 AM

110 posts, read 118,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nothankyou2000 View Post
You know, I guess you have a point. I guess I lived in Orlando so long and still have so many connections there, I feel like I can offer a valuable point of view because I come down for various reasons. I know the entire area very well, that's all. But you're right, although it was meant figuratively ( I'll stay here you stay there) I can see what you mean. Lol
Again, different strokes for different folks. I have no issues with people disagreeing with me... It's a free Country full of all these States, with pros and cons, it all comes down to what's important to you.
Of course where I live isn't perfect. The biggest difference and my biggest point was that, there is more "good area" to choose from where I live, and I feel more to offer to compensate for any of the bs. Orlando has some good areas, but they are sandwiched by terrible areas and terrible zoning, that's all. To me, the amount of bs residents put is way more than the benefits. My other point was there is also more to life than weather, which isn't that great down there in my opinion. The humidity will kill you, but that's just me.
Florida has great areas, none of which I have found in Central Florida that truly offer ( in my opinion) really cool things.. Florida is not for everyone, no place is..
In regards to CF I don't think it's ideal for schools and families. IT IS ideal for investors, renters and tourists,etc. To me, there is no sense of real community in CF, especially. It's all good. I was just sharing my view. Peace!!!!
I know I write emphatically some times, but it isn't meant to come across personally! It's all just opinions. Different ones.
You're not the only one who feels this way. I moved away from Orlando because I wanted the vibrant culture that comes with big city life. One of the main reasons Orlando lacks the sort of culture you seek is that there aren't many natives. Everyone is from elsewhere. The people who stay don't want something different/better, so the cultural growth in Orlando remains stagnant. The people who want something better move. Educated people who appreciate culture don't move to Orlando because it lacks museums/walkable communities/public transportation/etc.

Sadly, I don't see it changing anytime soon. Just look at the vast majority of people who post on this board asking questions about moving here. They are not the educated, philanthropic class that would greatly improve the community of Central Florida. They are people who have run out of options in other places. And even the educated people who post about moving here are not at all interested in living in walkable communities with thriving museums, theatres, etc. They are more concerned with their proximity to theme parks.

Old 03-08-2015, 05:43 PM

457 posts, read 525,271 times
You shouldn't move somewhere because you had a fun time vacationing there. True. It's kind of a Duh thing. It's good of you to remind people of that!

I've found people here to be the same as everywhere - some really-super-nice, some rotten and a whole lot of people in the middle.

As I struggle through learning to speak en espaƱol, I have found that almost everyone who isn't really busy is more than happy to let me practice. You will not find that everywhere. Some places, people will insist on speaking English with you because they can't be bothered with someone who cannot be easily understood.

What Orlando lacks in a long history (though there is some of that) is made up for in seeing how much has happened in the last forty years..and what is to come.

There is a lot to see and do here if you keep an eye out for fun things to do. We're a short drive to Tampa and an afternoon's drive to Miami, too.

No matter where you live, you're going to need to make some friends and find fun things to do. Even in New York City, people are sitting in apartments, saying, "There's nothing to do..."

If you moved here because you thought that you could never have enough rides on Space Mountain and Spider Man and then got here and found out that Yeah, you could...and you hate the summer heat and rain, maybe you should move again.

Just don't go somewhere because you think you'll be happy there.

Wherever you go, you're going to have to make your life whatever you want it to be.

Life is what you make of it, everywhere.

Old 03-08-2015, 06:39 PM

20,549 posts, read 20,206,532 times
I'll take the theme parks over museums any day. I know some people like to pretend they are more sophisticated than they really are by pretending to enjoy going to the same museum every week, so they can convince themselves that their bowel movements smell like flowers. In reality, if you want to experience real culture and life, you need to go out and travel to foreign countries.

Old 03-09-2015, 06:55 AM

782 posts, read 1,191,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post
I'll take the theme parks over museums any day. I know some people like to pretend they are more sophisticated than they really are by pretending to enjoy going to the same museum every week, so they can convince themselves that their bowel movements smell like flowers. In reality, if you want to experience real culture and life, you need to go out and travel to foreign countries.
Coming from the DC area, the locals know that the Smithsonian museums *are* theme parks and tourist attractions first and foremost, but they call them museums to keep the funding rolling in.

Old 03-09-2015, 03:28 PM

4,538 posts, read 3,689,566 times
Interesting posts and points by EverythingAtAll and LuvOrlando. I have found of some of the things mentioned to be true. Orlando does have museums/mom/pop walkable neighborhoods/parks. Do they have them to the degree and quality that some cities do? No. But, it has some of it's own vantage points which attract people. If people were looking to move to those things, they wouldn't necessarily choose Orlando, but if they were looking to be near theme parks, well, they probably would. I can't really comment on the types of people that prefer those types of things. For the most part, I think there are good and well educated people everywhere.

Your City Doesn't Suck - Choose Love & Go
This was written by a local Orlando blogger and was one of the best things I have read (I still need to get one of those shirts). It really is true that you choose your own attitude, and that determines your happiness, and so reading this came at a valuable time. A couple years ago I was so ready to get out of Orlando, it wasn't even funny. After having spent a couple months going to the MetroParks/Indians games, day trips to Allegheny Mountains/Niagara/Letchworth, and the laundry list of museums up north, I was ready to move back. I still would say there are areas I will likely eventually seek to move, but right now, family is here, and that is critical, at least right now. Therefore, instead of being negative and hating on Orlando, I might as well seek to make the most of it and research and take advantage of the things that are here, many of which are pretty cool. There are very few places with more good eating options for under $10 than along University Blvd., and so that is one plus. Also, I LOVE all the UCF events, athletic and otherwise, plus exploring around Park Avenue, and while I don't like the beach, I really enjoy freshwater springs, like Wekiwa. Again. A positive attitude makes life so much better, than sitting and worrying about what you don't have.

One of the things I would like to do while I am down here (however long that may be), is learn Spanish, instead of being upset about the fact others speak another language. Anyone have any good picks? I am using the Pimsleur CD right now (just started).

As per the museum comments, I can't comment on DC Museums, though I have to say I LOVED the Library of Congress I could stay all day in that place. To each their own in that regard. I enjoy museums, however, I find I personally get more enjoyment/value out of visiting museums/learning something. The same could be said about riding the same old rides at Disney and Universal every week. Plus, a lot of major museums have lectures/happy hours/constantly changing exhibits. There is also no end to what can be learned at some places. It takes me 4 hours just to get through the ancient Egypt/Greek collection at the CMA, and I have probably forgotten more than I have learned in my tours there. I don't think people are necessarily trying to pretend they are sophisticated (though some may be), some just personally enjoy the subject and learning more about it. Me personally? I am not a huge fan of roller coasters. I still enjoy the atmosphere at parks though. And that is part of the problem. You really don't have to travel elsewhere to experience real culture and life. That should be present and observable everywhere around you. Even in Orlando, which doesn't have a ton of rooted ethnic neighborhoods, spending a few hours strolling through Little Saigon to a couple different food stops/grocery stores, or even eating at Hollerbach's/browsing the market afterwards should give a flavor for what other cultures live like. I wish there was a prominent Puerto Rican area in town similar to that though.

Old 03-10-2015, 05:55 AM

Totally as an aside, but this weekend I attended a lecture at Epcot about raising chickens in your backyard. I never knew chickens could lay pink eggs. Granted, where I chose to live, the HOA regs don't permit chickens, but it was still neat to learn about it all. (And I totally agree…can't stand roller coasters personally.)

Old 03-10-2015, 07:22 AM

4,538 posts, read 3,689,566 times
That is interesting. Is that part of the Epcot spring flower/garden thing?

I hope yhat the chickens will still be able to be a part of life in Oviedo when the road is expanded to a 4 lane highway. It really has become much less of a sleepy suburb in the time I've been here.

Old 03-10-2015, 09:26 AM

10 posts, read 22,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by everythingatall View Post
You're not the only one who feels this way. I moved away from Orlando because I wanted the vibrant culture that comes with big city life. One of the main reasons Orlando lacks the sort of culture you seek is that there aren't many natives. Everyone is from elsewhere. The people who stay don't want something different/better, so the cultural growth in Orlando remains stagnant. The people who want something better move. Educated people who appreciate culture don't move to Orlando because it lacks museums/walkable communities/public transportation/etc.

Sadly, I don't see it changing anytime soon. Just look at the vast majority of people who post on this board asking questions about moving here. They are not the educated, philanthropic class that would greatly improve the community of Central Florida. They are people who have run out of options in other places. And even the educated people who post about moving here are not at all interested in living in walkable communities with thriving museums, theatres, etc. They are more concerned with their proximity to theme parks.

you are ON point.. Amen!

Old 03-10-2015, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevelander1991 View Post
That is interesting. Is that part of the Epcot spring flower/garden thing?

I hope yhat the chickens will still be able to be a part of life in Oviedo when the road is expanded to a 4 lane highway. It really has become much less of a sleepy suburb in the time I've been here.
Yup. They don't have the chicken talk archived here, but this gives some idea of the other things going on. We're planning to head back with our landscape plan to see what advice the master gardeners on site can give before we invest a lot in plants:
In the Shadow of the Mouse | 5 things I learned at the Epcot International Flower and Garden Festival
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando